Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pour (formerly Sanctuary)

Default Re: Sanctuary

I think whatever controversy there may initially be about this concept will bring more people in.

Slightly different, but we were recently in San Antonio and went to the Frank which is a German beer hall in an old church. The main room is in the original sanctuary and made for a really cool setting with all the old stained glass.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/frank-san-antonio

I like the double-meaning of the name... Sanctuary has church connotations but also is a place of refuge, which is what a good bar should be.

And with "She Sells" in front of it, a great track by The Cult.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Remember just 2 short years ago when FlashBack went in and absolutely nothing was down there?

Now, the whole area is exploding.

And they did very well just off on their own. That place stays very busy and they are doing great numbers, well beyond what they had projected.
    Think about how busy it will be in a year when all the apartments just north and west of them are completed.

4. Default Re: Sanctuary

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And with "She Sells" in front of it, a great track by The Cult.
    Not that there are any tracks by The Cult that aren't great. Bay-bee! Bay-bee! Bay-beeeeee!!!

A local business doesn't require the approval of the populace in general, it only needs to do a good job serving it's patrons. This concept will do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    I'm telling you right now, The Sanctuary will be a massive hit. Despite most of the OKC metro being staunchly Southern Baptist, there are those of us that are not, and we will fully enjoy it.

As for Wacky Wheelz, fantastic idea, but the name will be it's downfall. It's just... Horrible. I'm having Gigglez flashbacks.
    do you remember the old PC game Wacky Wheelz?

Will they be closed for private events as often as Flashback has seemed to be lately. I've tried going there multiple times in the past few weeks and keep coming up against that. I work basically next door and have yet been able to make it in. It'll be nice to have another after work place.

I think the concept will offend the people who would most likely never have attended regardless of the theme or name. I Love the concept and look forward to it! I mean the boom does a "Gospel Brunch" weekly that is sold out most every Sunday and is most likely more offensive to some than this concept. Best of luck and look forward to visiting!

I appreciate the owner being forthcoming about the evangelical nature of this establishment. Crossing it off my list but I imagine others will feel differently!

The only thing about the name for me is the confusion with The Sanctuary on I-35.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    The only thing about the name for me is the confusion with The Sanctuary on I-35.
    I had a friend who owned a Salon on 16th called " Sanctuary Salon".. she got calls all the time in Oct asking about haunted house prices.

This Holiday season was extremely busy for us, in regards to Private Events. We had 10 events in a 2 week period, when we might have 1 maybe 2 any regular month. The other difference is that we had a lot of groups host their parties on Friday nights, but when we re-opened to the general public after the event there was a line of people waiting to get in each time. We are done with private events for 2017, so you can come in at anytime the rest of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Wasn't the old church that was turned into a nightclub that eventually caught fire and was torn down at 31st and Classen called the Sanctuary?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    do you remember the old PC game Wacky Wheelz?
    Of course! Wacky "Totally not Mario Kart" Wheelz".

Again, The Sanctuary might become OKC's most successful bar. But Wacky Wheelz is just...awful. makes me cringe. Even "Tooters and Scooters" would be a better name.

Quote Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
    This Holiday season was extremely busy for us, in regards to Private Events. We had 10 events in a 2 week period, when we might have 1 maybe 2 any regular month. The other difference is that we had a lot of groups host their parties on Friday nights, but when we re-opened to the general public after the event there was a line of people waiting to get in each time. We are done with private events for 2017, so you can come in at anytime the rest of the month.
    Just to be clear, I wasn't upset. It was just I evidently have the worst timing in the world. I'ved worked in Film Row for about a month (and park my big blue motorcycle in the gated lot behind Flashback) and each day I tried to come in I somehow choose a day with an event. I was giving my friend Jerry (different Jerry of course) crap about it the other day because one of the events involved him.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Wasn't the old church that was turned into a nightclub that eventually caught fire and was torn down at 31st and Classen called the Sanctuary?
    Yes, I believe so. If I recalled it was owned by the folks who own Mystical Illusions tattoos and piercings. They got inundated with noise complaints from the nearby residents.

I do have to say, I love the hypocrisy of judging others about their business choices while claiming to be a Christian all at the same time (read Matthew 7:1-5). It's the one thing I know early on I would love about this bar. The best part is people who are already saying they won't be going there, without even seeing what it will look like or what the experience will be. I think those people are simply afraid that they will just love it so much that they will want to be there all the time, lol. Change scares a lot of people I get it, I'm sure there will be plenty of people judging me based on my concept choice alone and to be quite honest I don't really care. I grew up in a Catholic house and I live in a Christian one now, so Sanctuary will not be an anti-church or anti-christ business. It's gonna be a location where every single person, from every life style, every ethnicity, every religious belief or lack there of will be welcomed, which if we are honest is more than we can say about a lot of churches in this day in age. We will be a non-denominational bar of sorts

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Of course! Wacky "Totally not Mario Kart" Wheelz".

Again, The Sanctuary might become OKC's most successful bar. But Wacky Wheelz is just...awful. makes me cringe. Even "Tooters and Scooters" would be a better name.

This is another case of no one really understanding what this concept is or what the bicycles will look like. But again everyone has the right to their own opinion or "constructive criticism".

19. Default Re: Sanctuary

Yeah... You lost me at karaoke.

Other than that I think it's an interesting concept and I'm sure you were prepared for the blow back. Had to know that would be coming.

I'm baffled by the debate going on here. I'm willing to bet a large amount of money that this bar engenders approximately the same level of outrage, protest, and controversy as the Starbucks red cups. That is to say, there will be absolutely no outrage, protest, and controversy outside of a few manufacturing it for little reason.

This bar will be a successful, unique place and Christians won't even bat an eye at it.

I grew up in a Catholic house and I live in a Christian one now, ...
    Best of wishes and luck on this new endeavor. While a pet peeve of mine, certainly you know that "Catholic", is not exclusive of Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Yeah... You lost me at karaoke.

Other than that I think it's an interesting concept and I'm sure you were prepared for the blow back. Had to know that would be coming.
    Absolutely I did, which is why I held off doing it for a couple of years. To be honest when I first visited the "Church Bar" in Atlanta, my first thought was "That is so wrong", then my second thought was "That's Genius". Pete is my witness, I talked to him about this concept well over a year ago and what the challenges would be here in OKC, the biggest one being the perception of others and the blow back I would receive from some folks that just want a reason to complain. I wasn't fully ready to move forward then, but I am now.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I'm baffled by the debate going on here. I'm willing to bet a large amount of money that this bar engenders approximately the same level of outrage, protest, and controversy as the Starbucks red cups. That is to say, there will be absolutely no outrage, protest, and controversy outside of a few manufacturing it for little reason.

This bar will be a successful, unique place and Christians won't even bat an eye at it.
    Yeah the people most outspoken against this will probably be those such as the fine parishioners of the church at SW 54th and Blackwelder, the exact people who become outraged about things like red Starbucks cups and other manufactured controversies and will give you a dirty look if you say Happy Holidays. The people that ignored the May 3, 1999 tornado yet put a ton of energy into opposing the OKC Pride banners on Classen back in the early 2000s. It's the church that gave us JC Watts and Ralph Shortey. Those people won't be going to ANY bars, regardless of theme.

I'm sure the social media warriors will come out at 1st but that will die down as the next story of the day comes along.

Wilshire Gun Range caught a bunch of flack and there haven't been a bunch of drunks having shootouts yet

25. Default Re: Sanctuary

Absolutely I did, which is why I held off doing it for a couple of years. To be honest when I first visited the "Church Bar" in Atlanta, my first thought was "That is so wrong", then my second thought was "That's Genius". Pete is my witness, I talked to him about this concept well over a year ago and what the challenges would be here in OKC, the biggest one being the perception of others and the blow back I would receive from some folks that just want a reason to complain. I wasn't fully ready to move forward then, but I am now.
    Yep... Pretty much the same thoughts that jumped in my head when Pete posted it.

Thread Information