Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homeland at 104th and Penn

South OKC Homeland at 104th and Penn

I just heard on another board that the Homeland at 104th and S. Penn in the Chatenay shopping center is closing the last day of December. Can anyone confirm this? Is something else going in it's place?

Default Re: Homeland at 104th and Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    I just heard on another board that the Homeland at 104th and S. Penn in the Chatenay shopping center is closing the last day of December. Can anyone confirm this? Is something else going in it's place?
    My wife was in there the other day and said there was a sign on the door confirming this

Sad to hear this.

Right smack between a Crest and a Neighborhood WM.. and eventually a Sprouts would have been a few blocks away. Can't compete.

I wish somebody would come in a buy up the remaining Homelands as the company seems to be dying a slow death. Reasor's would be a perfect candidate (it would be so nice if OKC had grocery stores of that caliber). All of the trashy Homelands have shuttered and now the nicer ones are starting to go. My guess is that only reason the 18th and Classen store is still open is because it's the only grocery store anywhere in the urban core, unless you count the Asian supermarkets.

Wonder if they will convert it to a cash saver like the others or just be done with it. This was the nicest Homeland I’d ever been in.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I wish somebody would come in a buy up the remaining Homelands as the company seems to be dying a slow death. Reasor's would be a perfect candidate (it would be so nice if OKC had grocery stores of that caliber). All of the trashy Homelands have shuttered and now the nicer ones are starting to go. My guess is that only reason the 18th and Classen store is still open is because it's the only grocery store anywhere in the urban core, unless you count the Asian supermarkets.
    Just a random thing -- but the Homeland off 24th/Robinson in Norman sells (or sold) Reasor's brand packaged foods (salads, sandwiches, etc). Not sure how they acquired those items, but I've bought a few of them before.

But what does Reasor's do differently that would save these locations from going out of business? I was under the impression that the razor thin margins in the grocery business mean you need serious volume to justify staying open.

Quote Originally Posted by skwillz View Post
    But what does Reasor's do differently that would save these locations from going out of business? I was under the impression that the razor thin margins in the grocery business mean you need serious volume to justify staying open.
    Reasor's as a brand has a much more positive perception and their stores are typically managed better than Homeland. I would say Reasor's is more comparable to grocery stores like Kroger. The Homeland brand has somewhat of a stigma and rightfully so due to how poorly many of their locations are/were managed. Rebranding would give the existing locations at least a temporary boost. Also, when the new liquor laws go into effect, that should be a nice shot in the arm for Oklahoma grocery stores.

Reasor's as a brand has a much more positive perception and their stores are typically managed better than Homeland. I would say Reasor's is more comparable to grocery stores like Kroger. The Homeland brand has somewhat of a stigma and rightfully so due to how poorly many of their locations are/were managed. Rebranding would give the existing locations at least a temporary boost. Also, when the new liquor laws go into effect, that should be a nice shot in the arm for Oklahoma grocery stores.
    When I lived in Tulsa; Reasor's was the only place we ever shopped for groceries. Reasor's are like the newer Crest stores.

Let's get the rumor mill started.....my mother in law heard they were putting either a Trader Joes or a Asian grocery store here. Anybody hear anything? Caveat.....I have absolutely no reason why she thinks this.

11. Default Re: Homeland at 104th and Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Let's get the rumor mill started.....my mother in law heard they were putting either a Trader Joes or a Asian grocery store here. Anybody hear anything? Caveat.....I have absolutely no reason why she thinks this.
    Yeah... I've heard the same rumor on the TJ's on the Moore FB page.... Having heard it on the Moore FB page means it's very unlikely because that's the biggest source of fake news on the internet.

From what I know, Trader Joe's is not looking for any more locations in Oklahoma at this time.

yeah... i'm pretty sure that space would be way larger than the typical trader joe's.

really wish the timing would have worked out so that sprouts would have occupied this space.

I thought this was supposed to be the wealthiest part of OKC?

http://www.pbodom.com/

Blog Entries

The asian supermarket seems not likely in my opinion, as there is one just down the road at SW89th and Penn, unless they are enticing them to move. Pete, does Odom still own that Chatenay Square, or did he sell it? He is a different Duck, but Odom has kept that place at capacity with quality stores, but Homeland left a big space to fill.

Chatenay Square really has kept itself up throughout the years. It's a nice property so I hope whoever occupies the old Homeland can keep it thriving.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    I thought this was supposed to be the wealthiest part of OKC?
    i'm not sure what that has to do with anything. homeland has been struggling to compete in general and has lots of new competition in the area since this particular store was built. i don't think this is a question of a part of town not being able to support a given store but a store that has failed to stay relevant amidst increasing competion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i'm not sure what that has to do with anything. homeland has been struggling to compete in general and has lots of new competition in the area since this particular store was built. i don't think this is a question of a part of town not being able to support a given store but a store that has failed to stay relevant amidst increasing competion.
    Exactly what happened to them. Wal Mart Grocery Store 1 mile to the east has been there a while. Crest 1 mile to the west dented them really hard, and the new WM Supercenter 2 miles to the west this past year didn't help either.

19. Default Re: Homeland at 104th and Penn

The Trader Joe's rumor probably arose from the FB page of the Knigswood neighborhood - at least that is where I saw it. I know someone involved in helping Odom fill the space and he said the TJ rumor is completely false.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Homeland is simply a poorly run company that seems to be very complacent (and that is becoming their undoing). I think any other mid-tier grocer i.e. Kroger, H-E-B, Reasor's, or even Harps would have adapted and survived. Homeland on the other hand is still operating like its the 1980s. Last time I was in that location, you could tell that it was once a very nice grocery store but that Homeland had let it go.

If a quality mid-tier grocer ever decided to enter the OKC market I doubt Homeland would last very long.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Yeah... I've heard the same rumor on the TJ's on the Moore FB page.... Having heard it on the Moore FB page means it's very unlikely because that's the biggest source of fake news on the internet.

Personally, I heard it's gonna be a Wendy's.

22. Default Re: Homeland at 104th and Penn

Quote Originally Posted by seaofchange View Post
    Personally, I heard it's gonna be a Wendy's.
    HAHA... I started to work that joke in but you have to be a Moore-on to understand it!

Gotta believe Odom will get that space filled. It's had a rough time from the outset, between Homeland and Albertson's. Sprout's would have been a natural fit. Wonder if Odom might pursue an out-of-the-box candidate that might be more interested in an "inaugural" presence in OK due to pending liquor law changes...? Just speculating...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Gotta believe Odom will get that space filled. It's had a rough time from the outset, between Homeland and Albertson's. Sprout's would have been a natural fit. Wonder if Odom might pursue an out-of-the-box candidate that might be more interested in an "inaugural" presence in OK due to pending liquor law changes...? Just speculating...
    How about something like Total Wine?

How about something like Total Wine?
    that would be a killer.. would make great use of the space and would work quite well

Thread Information