Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homeland at 104th and Penn

Default Re: Homeland at 104th and Penn

Quote Originally Posted by skwillz View Post
    that would be a killer.. would make great use of the space and would work quite well
    I’m not exactly in the David Trone fan club, but even I’ll admit he does know the Wine Business better than most.

I think it was a homeland on expressway? Maybe Albertsons? Anyway it’s now half Aldi and half Sean’s wine & spirits and seems like a pretty nifty solution for the otherwise empty space.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    How about something like Total Wine?
    No idea what that is, being a tea-totaler

I would love to see a Publix come in. When we visit AL, I love to shop in the Publix stores.

5. Default Re: Homeland at 104th and Penn

Quote Originally Posted by BLJR View Post
    The asian supermarket seems not likely in my opinion, as there is one just down the road at SW89th and Penn, unless they are enticing them to move.
    I am now hearing that the Asian Market at 89th and Penn will move into the former Homeland at 104th and Penn and go more upscale.

I guess that's good news? The Homeland building is massive in comparison to the current location so I'm curious if they'll add a food court as is common in Asian markets.

Which makes me wonder why we don't have any Ranch 99s in Oklahoma. That seems to be the store that services a lot of the Chinese and south Asian communities in other states.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I am now hearing that the Asian Market at 89th and Penn will move into the former Homeland at 104th and Penn and go more upscale.
    90% positive that Asian market WAS a homeland before the location at 104th & Penn was built. So we’re trading one empty homeland for another.

8. Default Re: Homeland at 104th and Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    90% positive that Asian market WAS a homeland before the location at 104th & Penn was built. So we’re trading one empty homeland for another.
    Fact check: True

Ugh. I was hoping for something new.

Absolutely correct. There was a very bizarre transaction between Odom and the old Buchanan's grocery and some forgotten third party about what was supposed to be the original tenant for the grocery space in Chatenay, which I believe was Baker's. Amid the bankruptcies/consolidations going on in the grocery industry at that time, Baker's backed out, but the owner was on the hook to provide a tenant. Homeland at 89th was, at the time, planning to remodel that store, but a third party came along and said "hey, Homeland, rather than remodel, just move into this nice, new store in Chatenay, " which they did.

Amid all this was an overture by Odom supposedly to the Buchanan family to build them a brand new store on the then-empty parcel just south of 89th to replace their venerable, oft-expanded, but then-aging location on the NW corner of SW 89th and Penn. They declined, and were ultimately unable to keep pace with Homeland and had to fold their tents after becoming an IGA affiliate for a time. They became involved, IIRC, as their supplier/distributor was going to end up owning a store that would be a direct competitor.

I used to know a LOT more detail on this, as we had family friends that worked at Buchanan's and other entities in the area that kept up with the business interests and knew what was going on in amazing detail. There were a lot more moving parts to it than I remember now.

Yes, I sacked groceries after school at that buchannons in the mid 90’s. I must have eaten a hundred bbq sandwiches from bbq stand that smoked in the parking lot. Although my greatest achievement was when I closelined a kid trying to run out the front door with a stolen case of beer.

Edit: Maybe the empty stores will spur a retail renaissance like the jazz going on at SW 89th & western. That place was the dumps when I lived south side and now it seems like the premium retail in that area. I suspect a lot of Asian business might jump ship to be near the super market if it moves to Chardonnay. Maybe the resulting vacuum will bring about redovelopement.

12. Default Re: Homeland at 104th and Penn

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Absolutely correct. There was a very bizarre transaction between Odom and the old Buchanan's grocery and some forgotten third party about what was supposed to be the original tenant for the grocery space in Chatenay, which I believe was Baker's. Amid the bankruptcies/consolidations going on in the grocery industry at that time, Baker's backed out, but the owner was on the hook to provide a tenant. Homeland at 89th was, at the time, planning to remodel that store, but a third party came along and said "hey, Homeland, rather than remodel, just move into this nice, new store in Chatenay, " which they did.

Amid all this was an overture by Odom supposedly to the Buchanan family to build them a brand new store on the then-empty parcel just south of 89th to replace their venerable, oft-expanded, but then-aging location on the NW corner of SW 89th and Penn. They declined, and were ultimately unable to keep pace with Homeland and had to fold their tents after becoming an IGA affiliate for a time. They became involved, IIRC, as their supplier/distributor was going to end up owning a store that would be a direct competitor.

I used to know a LOT more detail on this, as we had family friends that worked at Buchanan's and other entities in the area that kept up with the business interests and knew what was going on in amazing detail. There were a lot more moving parts to it than I remember now.
    The Homeland at 104th and Penn was originally an Albertson's. They moved their store from 104th and Western to the 104th and Penn location. Then Albertson's pulled out of Oklahoma a couple years after they opened the new store.

Uptowner,
    My late brother was an assistant manager there (way before your time) and he had the early shift when an armed robber broke into the store and held a shotgun to his head. He couldn't open the safe so the robber didn't get much but Steve said it was a really scary time.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by artynok View Post
    The Homeland at 104th and Penn was originally an Albertson's. They moved their store from 104th and Western to the 104th and Penn location. Then Albertson's pulled out of Oklahoma a couple years after they opened the new store.
    It was a Homeland *twice*. Homeland moved from its 89th location as I mentioned above when Chatenay first opened. Homeland closed, and *then* Albertsons moved it's 104th and Western store there. Eventually, Albertsons (nee Skaggs in OKC) folded, and it went *back* to being a Homeland. Crazy, isn't it?

15. Default Re: Homeland at 104th and Penn

That is right Dave, I forgot about the "Double" Homeland! It's hard to believe that Homeland is still in business. That store was the second closest grocery to my house and I have not been there in at least 4 or 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by artynok View Post
    That is right Dave, I forgot about the "Double" Homeland! It's hard to believe that Homeland is still in business. That store was the second closest grocery to my house and I have not been there in at least 4 or 5 years.
    We stepped foot in that building *perhaps* five times since Chatenay opened. Homeland was never even remotely price-competitive; my wife would go to Crest in Moore or the Wal Mart grocery on Western in the years prior to Crest's opening. I think Crest was the final nail in the coffin for the Chatenay Homeland, although I don't think what's left of that chain is very healthy. I think there was a terrible issue of bad timing in the Sprouts wanting to build new on the 104th street Shaffer (sp) property, but before the Homeland closure arose. They'd have been a natural fit there.

While I'm glad Chatenay is (apparently) going to fill that space with the Asian market moving from 89th (just as Homeland did years ago), the net is still an empty large-box retail outlet. I have to believe there's an opportunity for another grocery to go in, particularly operations that have previously avoided Oklahoma due to our prior alcohol laws.

17. Default Re: Homeland at 104th and Penn

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    We stepped foot in that building *perhaps* five times since Chatenay opened. Homeland was never even remotely price-competitive; my wife would go to Crest in Moore or the Wal Mart grocery on Western in the years prior to Crest's opening. I think Crest was the final nail in the coffin for the Chatenay Homeland, although I don't think what's left of that chain is very healthy. I think there was a terrible issue of bad timing in the Sprouts wanting to build new on the 104th street Shaffer (sp) property, but before the Homeland closure arose. They'd have been a natural fit there.

While I'm glad Chatenay is (apparently) going to fill that space with the Asian market moving from 89th (just as Homeland did years ago), the net is still an empty large-box retail outlet. I have to believe there's an opportunity for another grocery to go in, particularly operations that have previously avoided Oklahoma due to our prior alcohol laws.
    I am wondering what is going to happen to the surrounding restaurants around the Asian market when that closes. Is it going to cause a vacuum causing them all to fold or can they survive without that market bringing in that extra foot traffic?

Can someone explain Homeland's current model? Obviously, it is not working great for them with multiple store closings across the metro.

Why are many of their items priced so much higher than other grocery stores? Homeland still has numerous locations across OKC and the state, so I would assume they buy at the same or greater quantity as a Crest or Buy For Less. Their stores are a mix of quality, but the customer service and atmosphere don't really stand apart from the deep discount stores. Most of their stores show their age, except for the few in Oklahoma City that were former Albertsons locations.

They do seem to spend a lot of money on advertising on traditional media compared to other grocers, but that shouldn't be the only factor in the higher price model. After being a frequent Crest shopper and stopping at Winco today, it makes me wonder where Homeland is missing the mark.

I'm also curious about Homeland's model. Their re-branding of the Homeland at SE 29th and Sunnylane to a Cash Saver was expected, but I'm baffled by what they did to the building. The interior of this store was fairly nice prior to the re-branding. The colors were appealing and it had good lighting. I know those aren't super important, but it's always something I notice when I go into any store. They re-branded it to Cash Saver and it's like they intentionally painted everything solid white and it's just solid harsh fluorescent lighting now. It feels dumpy. Are they intentionally making their stores look terrible?

Aside from an emergency need for evaporated milk, I haven't stepped foot inside it since. Can this company just please die already? I'm thankful we have some real grocers like Crest and WinCo, but this dinosaur needs to crawl into a pit.

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    I am wondering what is going to happen to the surrounding restaurants around the Asian market when that closes. Is it going to cause a vacuum causing them all to fold or can they survive without that market bringing in that extra foot traffic?
    With exception of the Bistro B place, the Pho restaurant and Panang Thai were already there before the Asian market opened. (if I am remembering correctly)

So I don't imagine we will see any major change. That Pho place seems to change ownership quite often but always does well, and Panang Thai has been in that spot for a while and I don't see them giving it up.

Homeland survives in Oklahoma by their stores in smaller towns...essentially where they're thy only game in town....whether it be the Homeland banner, or Cash Saver or United. They own all the United stores, and in my opinion have run them down as bad as Homeland stores. Used to be United had the cleanest blue and white floors...so clean you could almost eat off them. Not now. They have run United stores into the ground.
    But it is the smaller towns keeping them going. I shop the store at May and Britton because it is clean and well kept--and I use their pharmacy. But it's only ad priced items I usually buy there.

Reasors coming in and taking over would be ok...but I keep hoping one day Kroger will come in, take all the stores, get rid of the crappy ones and pick up and go forward.
    Kroger has lots of successful stores in county seat kind of towns and could do well.

Yes, I sacked groceries after school at that buchannons in the mid 90’s. I must have eaten a hundred bbq sandwiches from bbq stand that smoked in the parking lot. Although my greatest achievement was when I closelined a kid trying to run out the front door with a stolen case of beer.

Edit: Maybe the empty stores will spur a retail renaissance like the jazz going on at SW 89th & western. That place was the dumps when I lived south side and now it seems like the premium retail in that area. I suspect a lot of Asian business might jump ship to be near the super market if it moves to Chardonnay. Maybe the resulting vacuum will bring about redovelopement.
    I forgot about Buchanan's being there. I miss those small locally owned grocers. I remember Rudy's on SW 59th and May and SW 59th and Penn. Buchanan's was able to survive the Safeway that is now the Asian market on SW 89th and Penn.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Can someone explain Homeland's current model? Obviously, it is not working great for them with multiple store closings across the metro.

Why are many of their items priced so much higher than other grocery stores? Homeland still has numerous locations across OKC and the state, so I would assume they buy at the same or greater quantity as a Crest or Buy For Less. Their stores are a mix of quality, but the customer service and atmosphere don't really stand apart from the deep discount stores. Most of their stores show their age, except for the few in Oklahoma City that were former Albertsons locations.

They do seem to spend a lot of money on advertising on traditional media compared to other grocers, but that shouldn't be the only factor in the higher price model. After being a frequent Crest shopper and stopping at Winco today, it makes me wonder where Homeland is missing the mark.
    I haven't been in a Homeland for years so I can't comment on their current model but when I stopped working there in 1995, they used double and triple coupons to offset higher prices (my salary was $9.50/hr plus medical benefits) and get customers in the store. They also offered high quality meats and produce. I was told by a very large number of customers that the meat and produce sections were what brought them to the store and it was obvious that another large sub-set of customers were brought in by the coupon deals.

The writing was on the wall when I started working there in 1988 and I'm surprised they have lasted this long.

New grocery store coming to Chatenay Square

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record April 26, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – Developer Paul Odom III didn’t know how much his Chatenay Square shopping center meant to the city’s south corridor until Homeland closed in December.

“The level of interest about what would go in this center by the people that shopped there and lived in this area was quite high,” he said. “It was very high. I was receiving numerous calls, unsolicited, and e-mails, unsolicited, saying they had an idea.”

The shopping center is at the corner of SW 104th Street and S. Pennsylvania Avenue. Homeland has a long-term lease with the center, so the empty box wasn’t going anywhere.

Odom said he even had bankers, who worked with national tenants, making calls to find someone to fill the 65,000-square-foot space.

“It was so flattering to me to feel that the general population, our customer base, was very acutely interested in what was going to happen there, which speaks highly of the small community that southwest Oklahoma City is,” he said. “It’s almost like a small town.”

The grocery store’s bright interior lights had barely cooled before Quan Nguyen called NAI Sullivan retail broker Sam Swanson IV. Nguyen operates the Asian market, Saigon-Taipei Market, at 1648 SW 89th St. But for the last two years, he’s had an international-grocery concept he wanted to create in Oklahoma City. He said he first saw it in Atlanta.

“We know that the international market in Atlanta is crazy busy,” he said. “We know the demand is here.”

Nguyen is partnering with Thang Truong to renovate the former Homeland space and turn it into World Fresh International Market. Rick Brown and Associates architecture firm designed the update.

The store will carry items from across the world, including wine and beer. He’s planning a whole aisle of spices, a huge meat counter, and what could be the biggest fresh-fish selection in the city. It will have a small food court with two restaurants, and a franchised French bakery.

Odom said he was initially cautious about the market idea. He hadn’t seen the concept, so he didn’t know what to expect. He wanted to make sure the new grocer not only fit with the center, but the neighborhood. The 73170 zip code is one of the highest per-capita income zip codes in the state.

Odom said he’s felt some relief as Nguyen has explained what people will be able to buy at the store. And a grocery store will work in the center, he said.

“It’s a very prime corner,” he said.

Swanson said the space was not listed on the market, so he dealt directly with Homeland. He said the experience-based shopping that Nguyen will create will be a big draw. Nguyen compared it to shopping at Central Market, an H-E-B-owned grocery line that specializes in upscale and international foods. Central Markets are especially popular in Texas.

Nguyen plans to close the Saigon-Taipei store once he’s moved the items to World Fresh. He said he already has relationships with some vendors who will help fill the shelves with international items. He plans to carry domestic items as well.

He’s hired Joe Donaruma to run the store. Nguyen said he has other businesses to oversee, including four Golden Chick restaurants.

“Even if I do (manage the store), I’m not going to do as well as Joe,” he said.

If Nguyen gets the store opened by the summer as planned, it will be about nine months from the time he called Swanson to the time he opened the new store. Swanson said that kind of time frame is incredible.

“It’s costly to drag our feet,” Nguyen said.

I look forward to the new World Fresh International Market.

Thread Information