Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It’s a pretty new development the apartments should help tie it together better. There’s a weird patch of a grass between the pickle ball place and the Dolese HQ. It’d be nice to have a building or a park there. Man that Dolese HQ is a beauty.
    It's fine, but zero reason they couldn't have built that downtown, even on their existing land there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

The patch of grass is for Dolese Phase II, should they need it.
    Oh wow good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    It's fine, but zero reason they couldn't have built that downtown, even on their existing land there.
    Not everything needs to be built downtown.

I think Dolese decided Dolese wasn’t the best use for their downtown holdings. They assembled the 13th to 16th streets parcel over 20 years ago and considered themselves a steward of one of the largest undeveloped lots in the central city area. They needed more headquarters than what they had on 13th, but didn’t want to get into the northern lot.

I can think of many ($$$) reasons. Some of the existing buildings are over 100 years old and rehabilitation would be cost prohibitive. So would demolition. Much cheaper to start over on a clean plot.

Pete, next time you are flying the drone, take a look at the progress on the apartments on the north side of The Half.
    Plus they finally installed some entry signs

A new 4-story building is planned for a parcel just west of Dolese.

It will be for Quintessa Marketing, a local company now located in 50 Penn Place that performs lead generation for personal injury lawyers.

Before the inevitable grousing about this not being retail or restaurants I will point out that the plan has always been to build small office buildings on the land south of Flix.

9. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Pete, I have a manager friend at one of the businesses at The Half, and the new big talk is that https://andrettikarting.com/ will be building here. Any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Pete, I have a manager friend at one of the businesses at The Half, and the new big talk is that https://andrettikarting.com/ will be building here. Any truth to that?
    The Half group has talked to Andretti, but no planning documents or building permits have been filed.

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Now that would be something I could get excited for.

I've been watching them haul the precast parking garage and hoisting them in to place for about 3-4 weeks now. Nice to see all that progress from above. I did not realize how much more wood framing they have done. Is the roofing material the same type used on the building in Nichols Hills that burned up?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    A new 4-story building is planned for a parcel just west of Dolese.

It will be for Quintessa Marketing, a local company now located in 50 Penn Place that performs lead generation for personal injury lawyers.

Before the inevitable grousing about this not being retail or restaurants I will point out that the plan has always been to build small office buildings on the land south of Flix.

Permits have been filed for a 2-story building to be built immediately south for Plangroup, which currently has offices at 63rd & Broadway Extension.

Interesting to see a parking garage for suburban apartments. This is a good trend for OKC because the cost of a garage is often citied as hindrance for downtown housing. I can't think of a single apartment complex here in Jax currently under construction that doesn't have a parking garage. Complexes built just 5 years ago with surface parking are already obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I can't think of a single apartment complex here in Jax currently under construction that doesn't have a parking garage.
    There is no way this is true except for the "can't think of" qualifier.

I just checked a list of recently completed and under-construction apartments in Jacksonville and found a bunch without a parking garage.

Garages make sense where the property is expensive. But that's not the case in most suburban areas so the idea that the complexes that don't build them are 'obsolete' is absurd. It will always be more common than not to have surface parking outside the core.

19. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Chicken and Pickle has to be absolutely elated about these apartments finishing up lol

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    Chicken and Pickle has to be absolutely elated about these apartments finishing up lol
    Lol, and I was just thinking that those apartments better have good insulation for being located so close to a bunch of pickleball courts...

Its interesting that there appears to be only one entrance from the apartments down to the water, does anyone know if they are planning on doing any beautification projects along the shore or other planned interactions with the pond itself?

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Its interesting that there appears to be only one entrance from the apartments down to the water, does anyone know if they are planning on doing any beautification projects along the shore or other planned interactions with the pond itself?
    This is a rendering of the waterfront. To the west, they are planning restaurants along the shore so I'm sure there will be landscaping and patios.

Nice, thank you! I go to flix fairly often and enjoy watching this area take shape.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Nice, thank you! I go to flix fairly often and enjoy watching this area take shape.
    How is the sound system at that theater? I’ve been thinking about hitting it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    How is the sound system at that theater? I’ve been thinking about hitting it up.
    It's as good as any I've heard in other theaters. We love it but often aren't enticed by the films they show.

Thread Information