Widgets Magazine

Thread: Torchy's Tacos

Large Chain Torchy's Tacos

Went to the Torchy's in Chisholm Creek last night.

After waiting in a very long line at the Norman location I learned to go straight to the bar where the bartenders take your order. Service was excellent.

Unlike the Norman location, the bar area does not open to the outside through an overhead door. The bar is on the west end of the space and neighbors the large covered patio, but the two are only connected through regular doors.

This location looks and feels quite a bit different than Norman. One thing I really did not like is that the lighting is far too bright and the decor is pretty whitish to start. All too harsh IMO. Strongly preferred the vibe at the Norman site.

It was busy but not overly so. Seats were available at the bar the whole time I was there and while there was a line, it wasn't long and there were always some available tables.

I only had the Hillbilly Queso, which has chorizo in it. Pretty good portion and a big serving of fresh chips for $6.25, which is decent given that their single tacos are $4-$5.50.

2. Default Re: Torchy's Tacos

Wow looks quite a bit different than Normans. I expected it to be almost the same.

Default Re: Torchy's Tacos

I can never keep this straight, is this the taco place on the East side of Chisholm Creek or the new one on the West side? I'm guessing it's the Eastern one based on the size of the dining area in that photo.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I can never keep this straight, is this the taco place on the East side of Chisholm Creek or the new one on the West side? I'm guessing it's the Eastern one based on the size of the dining area in that photo.
    It's on Penn just south of Sam's Club on the far west side of Chisholm Creek in the little development called Westgate.

http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r...Chisholm-Creek

West, the other place your referring to is Fuzzy's Taco Shop.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This location looks and feels quite a bit different than Norman. One thing I really did not like is that the lighting is far too bright and the decor is pretty whitish to start. All too harsh IMO. Strongly preferred the vibe at the Norman site.
    The lighting does look too harsh. Gives it all the ambiance of a hospital cafeteria or public library.

It's on Penn just south of Sam's Club on the far west side of Chisholm Creek in the little development called Westgate.

http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r...Chisholm-Creek
    Thanks! I can never keep Fuzzy's and Torchy's straight, probably because I haven't made it over to try either one.

Thanks! I can never keep Fuzzy's and Torchy's straight, probably because I haven't made it over to try either one.
    They are certainly similar but Torchy's has a big bar and Fuzzy's doesn't have one at all, although they do serve beer and drinks at the counter.

9. Default Re: Torchy's Tacos

They are certainly similar but Torchy's has a big bar and Fuzzy's doesn't have one at all, although they do serve beer and drinks at the counter.
    I'm not sure how people can like Fuzzys more....Those Torchys tacos are sent from heaven.

Fuzzy's does very, very well.

They each have their niche.

Fuzzy's doesn't have a bar in their OKC stores. They have them in other locations.

Blog Entries

Fuzzy's does very, very well.

They each have their niche.
    Yes they do. Both are pretty good. Wife and I go to Fuzzy's in Moore due to convenience, but will go to Torchy's when in Norman, and now up north.

Tried this Wednesday and I was a big fan. The queso was really good, had a good amount of spice to it which I was a big fan of. I tried the ranch hand and the Alabama shake, two tacos and splitting queso was definitely enough food. Only complaint I had was that our drinks never arrived, when our food came I went to the bar to ask about the drinks and they found them sitting on the bar top. Honestly, the place was super crowded so the cashier may have told me that and I just couldn't hear her. Either way, not really a big deal, I'd definitely go back.

They are now open at NW 63rd & Grand.

Looks like a very quality build out at this location. Looking forward to getting over there to try The Republican and some local, craft beers!

We were there Wednesday on their first official day. It was on the heels of the snowstorm, yet they were fully-staffed, our orders were taken efficiently, food delivered promptly, and it was great.

Thread Information