Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warby Parker

Default Warby Parker

Saw in the citizen access OKC building permits for Nov 27 that popular eyewear store Warby Parker is opening up a store in Classen Curve. I have been to their store in Northpark Mall in Dallas. Excellent selection, priced fairly. Great looking specs!!

Default Re: Warby Parker

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Saw in the citizen access OKC building permits for Nov 27 that popular eyewear store Warby Parker is opening up a store in Classen Curve. I have been to their store in Northpark Mall in Dallas. Excellent selection, priced fairly. Great looking specs!!
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...49#post1014249

Default Re: Classen Curve

Warby Parker officially opens this Saturday, March 24th.

More info from a press release:

Important Store Details:

Since we first set foot in OKC, we’ve grown to 65 locations around the U.S. and Canada (this store makes 66!), and we can’t wait to open this new store and keep the good times going. We’re especially excited about all that Classen Curve has to offer, from its roster of appetizing restaurants to all of the other shops in the mix.

Inside the store, there’s extra-special feature that we’re very excited to unveil. Behind the marble Reference Desk (your one-stop shop for frame adjustments, order pickups, and more) you’ll find an original, vibrantly colored mural by Oklahoma City-based artist Kris Kanaly.

Throughout the rest of the space, you’ll find design details reminiscent of a library. Think: marble-topped tables, colorful displays of books, and brass accents galore, plus our full collection of eyeglasses and sunglasses on oak shelving.

To celebrate the new spot, we’re releasing a pair of limited-edition, Oklahoma City-exclusive sunglasses: Topper in Jet Black Matte with Flash Mirrored Pacific Blue lenses.

Being on the older end of the millennial spectrum, I have to admit: this is the most millennial press release I have ever seen. *Here's how dope our store is with little information about our product, but who cares, because: MARBLE.

That opinion aside, I've been eagerly awaiting this store's opening as I indeed have some WP frames that need adjusting. Fortunately for me the desk I will bring them to will be extremely hip!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Curious, I dropped by WP yesterday, picked out a frame, asked the price, and received it within 30 seconds. I appreciate their transparency in not starting with a bait number, then adding on features until a breathtaking final amount is reached.

I've literally never had a bad experience with them and I've ordered both online and in their old showroom at Shop Good.

^

Concur with the above. I went in and ordered two sets of glasses this weekend. As seamless of an experience as I could have imagined, not to mention the two sets of glasses, together, were half the price of my current glasses.

So, what was the total charge for one pair of frames and lens?

So, what was the total charge for one pair of frames and lens?
    My pair I bought a couple years ago was $95 with prescription. I just have a -1.00 prescription, I know it goes up if you need something a little more complicated.

^

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Also, how long does it take them to finish?

^

I've only bought online (great experience) and don't recall it taking very long to receive the product after ordering.

^

I ordered online and don't remember waiting long at all. Like every one else has said it was a great experience online (I didn't know about the Shop Good location until after I ordered), and I imagine it is een faster with the full store open.

Also - that price is without insurance and I know they accept some forms of it. I had looked at similar options at Midtown Optical and the price was 3-4x what Warby Parker charged.

Yeah, eyeglass prices are absurd and it's the direct result of what is almost a monopoly in that industry.

I really need a new pair so I'm going in there to check it out.

I've been wearing Warby Parker since they first started selling them at ShopGood around 2010. I've always been happy with the service, price, and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    My pair I bought a couple years ago was $95 with prescription. I just have a -1.00 prescription, I know it goes up if you need something a little more complicated.
    The frames I looked at were $95, but the total was $300 with progressive lenses, anti-reflective & scratch-resistant coatings. A local lens shop charged me $800 a few years ago, and my first pair from Zenni.com was less than $50 for all of that. My ophthalmologist says there's no practical difference between them.

^ Mine were $95 as well (I believe the vast majority of their glasses with the basic lenses are either $95 or ~$145). I have a relatively straightforward prescription so I just got the basic lenses, which are scratch resistant, moisture repellent, anti-reflective, and provide UV protection. Just glanced at their website and progressives start at $300, so that is consistent with your experience, CloudDeck. I've heard great things about Zenni as well - probably should have checked them out before purchasing my glasses.

I will say that being able to go to the store to look at their entire range, even with their at-home try on program, was nice. The frames I ended up with weren't any of the "suggested" frames based on the quiz you can take online and I didn't like most of the frames I probably would have selected to try through the at-home program.

For those that listen to podcasts, the "How I Built That" podcast with two of WP's founders is worth a listen and provided a good anecdote regarding glasses prices and mark ups in the glasses industry. When preparing their business plan, they initially planned to sell the glasses for $30-$50 but one of their professors (they were Harvard Business School students when they came up with the idea) said it was too cheap due to people's natural perception to equate price with quality. Really makes me wonder what their cost per unit is. I imagine they're printing money at this point.

I have terrible stigmatism and awful vision and my lenses are always very cheap. I think they go from $95 to $135 total for everything I need so I’m impressed if you can get up to $300.

19. Default Re: Classen Curve

Dan, if astigmatism has prevented you from laser surgery I can recommend a surgeon. He’s one of the few in OK who do Zyoptix, which is an advanced Bausch and Lomb machine. It uses a much smaller laser than most, and instead of burning off corneal tissue in a grid pattern it uses a dancing, randomized pattern. This makes for a much smoother blend zone (the transition between excised tissue and untouched tissue), and eliminates the night vision glare/starburst/halo problem, which is more pronounced for astigmatism correction owing to the shape of the astigmatism-afflicted eye.

When he did my surgery I had a -5.75 cylinder in one eye and a -6.0 in the other. A really bad astigmatism is around -3.0. I had the worst astigmatism Dr. Weir had ever attempted. Ninety seconds of burn on each eye vs ten in the average patient. The goal was simply to get me to the point where I could wear soft contacts, which I had never been able to do, and it was a complete success. I have a very minimal vision correction now, and in fact if I’d bothered to go back for an enhancement he likely could have gotten me to 20/20 or better and eliminated corrective lenses altogether. However, just being able to wear contacts (and maybe more importantly regular sunglasses) changed my life.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    The frames I looked at were $95, but the total was $300 with progressive lenses, anti-reflective & scratch-resistant coatings. A local lens shop charged me $800 a few years ago, and my first pair from Zenni.com was less than $50 for all of that. My ophthalmologist says there's no practical difference between them.
    Zenni is very inexpensive, but I also found the precision of the progressive lenses wasn't as good as the pair I just got from my eye doctor (which, after insurance, cost about the same as Zenni). I also got some metal frame sunglasses that pretty much fell apart after a few months of use. Having said that, I would still buy from Zenni after my insurance benefits are up, so I'm looking at getting some more sunglasses from them.

Thanks for the rec. i’ve been thinking about it a lot lately that’s helpful.

or if laser is out, consider ICL. It was expensive when I did it, but that was at least 3 years ago and hoping it's more affordable now.

23. Default Re: Classen Curve

You’re welcome. I recently saw him to discuss total lens replacement. At 50 I’m in early stages of cataracts, probably owing to working outdoors much of my life and being unable to wear sunglasses for most of it. Sitting down with him again 13 years after my laser surgery only reinforced in my mind what a pro he is.

By the way with total lens replacement you’re likely to see 20/20 the rest of your life with no correction at all other than (possibly) still needing readers. Pretty pumped about that.

I just want to put in a good word about Dr Weir. I saw him only once on advise of my Optimologist in KC. He was trained by him. My Optimologist is one of the top in the country if not in the world. If Dr Hunkler says he is good then you know he is. I had unneeded eye cataract surgery in 2010 and the guy in north okc that did it messed up my right eye. I went to about 15 different eye doctors and none of them had a clue to what was wrong with my eye. I saw an one line article (optimoligy mag that Dr Hunkler wrote) and contacted his office. He fixed my eye. I still continue to drive up to KC to see him. I have since found out how great an eye doctor he is. He retired from being head of KU or KSU dept of Optimology. That is why he trained Dr Weir. (I did not see Dr Weir when I was looking for an answer to my eye problem)

25. Default Re: Classen Curve

Regarding the thread topic (specifically related to Warby) I agree about both Zenni and Warby being great options. I developed an eye infection last year and had to take a break from contacts. I had taken my glasses for backup on a motorcycle trip, left them in a travel bag and then when I needed them couldn’t find them.

So rushed out in a panic and bought some Ray-Bans at a “one-hour” optical. Frames were a couple hundred, then progressive no-line bifocals (which they got wrong), polycarbonate lenses, scratch resistant coating, anti-glare, UV protection. By the time I was done they were over $400.

Later I decided I’d like to have several pair because I was enjoying the option of occasionally wearing glasses, resting my eyes from contacts, and was having to wear readers with contacts anyway. So I bought a pair from Zenni and one from Warby. Experiences were very similar. Both came fully loaded with all of the options I mention above, and for a little over $100. Maybe $120, IIRC?

The main difference was that Warby had a much better frame selection, and also seemed to be constructed better. There were only maybe 2-3 frames I’d consider at Zenni. But the ones I got look great, and I’m often complimented on them. That’s the weird thing about going contacts to glasses. When I was younger I felt like glasses were a massive liability in the attractiveness department. Now that I’m older and wear contacts most of the time I find that when I occasionally wear glasses I am almost guaranteed to get one or more appearance compliments, which pretty much never happens (haha) WITHOUT glasses.

Thread Information