Widgets Magazine

Thread: Women's Rugby - no experience needed, great way to socialize

Default Women's Rugby - no experience needed, great way to socialize

Hi all!

The Oklahoma City Men's rugby team - the Crusaders - started a women's side for their team a few months ago and we're in desperate need of players for the next season starting in February. We're a friendly bunch and we'd love to make this team work out. You don't need any experience, you don't need to be in shape (I started playing rugby overweight and barely able to run a mile... I lost 20 pounds and was in the best shape of my life after about half a year), and if you're looking for a good group to hang out with - I can assure you this team basically becomes your family.

Just show up ready to learn and have fun ... so if you or anyone you know is (or at least might be slightly) interested in rugby please come on out to our practices!

And if you want to see a game the men are playing this Saturday (December 2) at 2 pm - 3339 N Independence Ave, Oklahoma City

Practices are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 to 8:30 pm at Hefner Park: 3301 NW Grand Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73116.

Questions I get asked a lot:
    "Is this the game with sticks?" - no it's not Lacrosse or Field Hockey.
    "Oh so it's that game that's like football but without the pads?" - Yeah, basically. Rugby is more fast paced, the matches are around 80 minutes of game play with a 10 minute break in the middle. Want to learn more about it? Come to practice and we'll teach ya.
    "How big of a time commitment is it?" - 4 hours a week of practice, though you don't need to attend all practices or even attend the full practice. We have games on some Saturdays but not every Saturday.

Default Re: Women's Rugby - no experience needed, great way to socialize

I played rugby on the OSU club team in the late '80's. If you do the math that makes me 51 years old. I was scrum half back then. What sold me was that there were kegs of beer on the field at half-time. I have to say the guys team had some of the wildest guys I had ever met. It was lots of fun but I fear my rugby days are behind me.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Women's Rugby - no experience needed, great way to socialize

ILikeMaps, you may look up Mike Mason in Mustang if you don't know him already. He is a teacher at Mustang HS, and a long time rugby guy. He has been involved with starting women's Rugby in the Mustang Yukon area at the HS level. I know Yukon HS had a girls rugby team when I was an assistant soccer coach there a couple of years ago. Hope you successfully grow the sport!!!

Thread Information