Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Rex Middle School

Default Re: John Rex Middle School

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Now if Mr. Humphreys attempts to use his position to discriminate against LGBTQ youth in any way then I would say that is cause for outrage.
    He has. It's been proven. The Pride parade banners issue when he was mayor, where he was successfully sued, is exactly that - him using his position to illegally suppress the rights of someone who holds a different opinion than him. Does anyone really think that's the only time in his career he's done that?

It's not even a question of religion. You can be as religious or not religious as you want. But you cannot use your religion to take away other people's rights. This is a very simple, individual rights issue.

And then again, to restate how horrible of an example of Oklahoma this is.

Well, the way I look at this is, if this were in the most educated states in the US, this guy would have been gone the second this got out in the press. But this is Oklahoma we’re talking about, so this kind of sh!t is still acceptable I guess.

Right. This is totally insane that this is even still an issue. He should have been done after his comments on KFOR. But right, Oklahoma is so ahead of the rest of the country, it must be the rest of the country that's crazy.

I mean, 10 years ago every single candidate on the Democratic presidential primary ticket stood on stage and supported suppressing marriage equality, and folks were ok with then, but hey, if you don't like the person....

His kfor remarks were reprehensible and undefendible and his stepping down from the board of regents was justified, especially in thier search for a new president coming up.

His position on a local charter school board? Bugs me less n

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I guess the question is if the problem people have is that he has these viewpoints, or merely that he's been open about them? Because if the latter that begs the question is if we're preferring people who hide their beliefs and motivations. If it's the former, we're in trouble, because there's a good shot that the majority if people out there hold some viewpoint that others would disagree with. That's why I'd rather go on actions.
    Again, why do you keep assuming Humphries hasn't been discriminating his entire time in public service? I do not know him and I am not saying what his actions have been, but that would be a good investigation. Does someone who publically says you should fire pretty women actually fire/not hire pretty women in his work? In spite of his misogynistic and homophobic beliefs, does he have a good track record of hiring and promoting each group in both quantity and leadership to positions? Most discrimination happens behind closed doors, but if you find someone willing to say the things he said in public, why would you think he wouldn't discriminate in private in the spaces where he holds power? However, even in the event that he has a good record, can you be a productive leader in an organization when those under you believe you hold discriminatory views?

His non-apologies have been as telling as anything. You can tell he really believes what he's said and finds it annoying that others don't hold his beliefs. If he were truly apologetic and seemed like he'd grow then that would be one thing, but I haven't seen any evidence that is the case.

Edit: Just saw stjohn's post that reminded me that Humphries has used his position to discriminate already.

Quote Originally Posted by stjohn View Post
    Right. This is totally insane that this is even still an issue. He should have been done after his comments on KFOR. But right, Oklahoma is so ahead of the rest of the country, it must be the rest of the country that's crazy.
    Must be. I am shocked there are posters that are defending this guy or even the situation. There are reasons Oklahoma has the stereotypes that is had and until this kind of crap isn’t tolerated there anymore, it will continue to be looked down by the majority of the country.

I mean, 10 years ago every single candidate on the Democratic presidential primary ticket stood on stage and supported suppressing marriage equality, and folks were ok with then, but hey, if you don't like the person....

His kfor remarks were reprehensible and undefendible and his stepping down from the board of regents was justified, especially in thier search for a new president coming up.

His position on a local charter school board? Bugs me less n
    Why do you always seem to justify backwards behavior occurring now by saying “well this happened 10 or 20 years ago!?” You do this a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by stjohn View Post
    I definitely agree. I think in most other cities he probably would have been done after his KFOR comments. It really sucks this is still an issue and I in no way support Mr. Humphreys so don't take what I said the wrong way. I don't like the man and never have and I think he is a black eye on the image of OKC. I'm just not really sure what can be done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Why do you always seem to justify backwards behavior occurring now by saying “well this happened 10 or 20 years ago!?” You do this a lot.
    Because most of the quotes are being pulled from a decade ago, except for the one I've completely and clearly condemned (the kfor one). So if we forgive people's stances from ten years ago doesn't he deserve equal treatment?

Know what, nevermind. GIGO especially with bs.

Because most of the quotes are being pulled from a decade ago, except for the one I've completely and clearly condemned (the kfor one). So if we forgive people's stances from ten years ago doesn't he deserve equal treatment?
    Yes he would deserve forgivness if he were to seek forgiveness and repudiate his stances on women in the workplace, comments on the worth of people based on their physical charactsristics, etc.

No it’s not. I’ve noticed on several occasions you have said “they did this x years ago.”

As for your first response, it’s relevent because of what Humphreys has done NOW! Not ten years ago. Making comments like this absolutely disqualifies him from being in any position of representation or having power. I can’t even believe this is even being debated.

In states that are more educated such as Oregon, Washington, California, Massachusetts, New York, etc. if this happened he would be gone and out faster than you could blink. If you went on some website or social media post and defended him or said he should remain on the board, you’d be laughed at and dismissed from any serious conversation. Again, I guess this shows why Oklahoma is where it’s at and you are right at home, aren’t you.

I honestly thought it would be a no brainer. Me. Humphreys is dismisses from OU and John Rex Boards immediately. Blair comes out instantly and says these are not the beliefs of Wheeler or myself and I condemn my fathers words. Mick Cornett publicity denounces the former mayor and reassures very clearly that people of all cultures and sexual presences are welcomed and accepted. Pretty much none of this has happened. He is retiring from the OU board. It only took his son how long to write a half assed message then mocked a representative who is known to be socially progressive.

I honestly thought it would be a no brainer. Me. Humphreys is dismisses from OU and John Rex Boards immediately. Blair comes out instantly and says these are not the beliefs of Wheeler or myself and I condemn my fathers words. Mick Cornett publicity denounces the former mayor and reassures very clearly that people of all cultures and sexual presences are welcomed and accepted. Pretty much none of this has happened. He is retiring from the OU board. It only took his son how long to write a half assed message then mocked a representative who is known to be socially progressive.
    Uh, what?

1) Humphreys is dismisses from OU and John Rex Boards immediately.
    - He is back on the John Rex board now, but he resigned from both after the incident.

2) Blair comes out instantly and says these are not the beliefs of Wheeler or myself and I condemn my fathers words.
    - This happened. Yes he mocked Ed Shadid because per usual, he was being an imbecile and very publicly overreacting to something purely for political gain. If you don't believe that, just look at his track record with MAPS and other issues (if you can go after Humphreys for his history, Shadid's is fair game as well).

3) Mick Cornett publicity denounces the former mayor and reassures very clearly that people of all cultures and sexual presences are welcomed and accepted.
    - I'm sorry but this is just dumb and an overreaction. There was no reason at all for Mick Cornett to comment on this. Kirk Humphreys hasn't been the mayor for 14 years.

In states that are more educated such as Oregon, Washington, California, Massachusetts, New York, etc. if this happened he would be gone and out faster than you could blink. If you went on some website or social media post and defended him or said he should remain on the board, you’d be laughed at and dismissed from any serious conversation. Again, I guess this shows why Oklahoma is where it’s at and you are right at home, aren’t you.
    LOL so only extremely liberal costal states are "educated"? I just don't know how in tarnation us special folks back here can tell our s**tholes from a hole in the ground! Can you please come back from California to help us!?!? I know several people back here that don't even know how to put their pants on the right way in the morning.

Attitudes like this are exactly why Donald Trump got elected and are the reason that republicans now control all three branches of the government.

What a ****hole thread

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Uh, what?

1) Humphreys is dismisses from OU and John Rex Boards immediately.
    - He is back on the John Rex board now, but he resigned from both after the incident.

2) Blair comes out instantly and says these are not the beliefs of Wheeler or myself and I condemn my fathers words.
    - This happened. Yes he mocked Ed Shadid because per usual, he was being an imbecile and very publicly overreacting to something purely for political gain. If you don't believe that, just look at his track record with MAPS and other issues (if you can go after Humphreys for his history, Shadid's is fair game as well).

3) Mick Cornett publicity denounces the former mayor and reassures very clearly that people of all cultures and sexual presences are welcomed and accepted.
    - I'm sorry but this is just dumb and an overreaction. There was no reason at all for Mick Cornett to comment on this. Kirk Humphreys hasn't been the mayor for 14 years.

LOL so only extremely liberal costal states are "educated"? I just don't know how in tarnation us special folks back here can tell our s**tholes from a hole in the ground! Can you please come back from California to help us!?!? I know several people back here that don't even know how to put their pants on the right way in the morning.

Attitudes like this are exactly why Donald Trump got elected and are the reason that republicans now control all three branches of the government.
    Reasons why I said “pretty much.” He resigned. How long did it take? If the answer is longer than immediately than he took too long.

No Blair did not come out instantly. He was also not strong enough in his wording against his father and mocked a progressive representative.

No it is not dumb nor it an over reaction. But you okies keep doing things your way. There’s a bunch of winners over in that state I tell you. You guys obviously got it and other cities that would have had their current mayors condemn former disgraced mayors just don’t know what they’re doing.

Statistically outside of certain exceptions such as Utah, yes, most liberal states are much more educated. I criticize California all the time, but Oklahoma could definitely use help from anywhere it can. But you seem to think otherwise so again, have fun out there. I keep seeing everything that happens out here and the kind of people that live here and then I go visit Oklahoma. Realities set in.

As far as getting political, enjoy trump and conservatives while you can. I just fear the pendulum will swing too far to the left and the liberal nutcases will take over which will be equally as bad. There is no middle ground anymore and Trump has made it much worse.

How are you going to say that about Ed Shadid? Is it just because you disagree with him? He’s made several good points that are worth considering even if you don’t agree with him. It’s not a bad thing to have contrast.

But once again man, you don’t even have to agree with my points. Oklahoma has a very bad reputation. I see all the time in this board how people are being their friends, family, or whoever to visit. They’re talking about it with people have supposedly seen something about Oklahoma and say it’s a cool place.

Anecdotally, I’m a very talkative person and I’m very opinionated. I strike up conversations all the time with people from all walks of life on the subway, riding my bike, at my schools, at my work. Wherever. I can always tell when I say I’m from Oklahoma, if they even know where it’s at, I get a funny reaction. Most of their understandings are that it’s a conservative state and boring. The stigma is there and it doesn’t come from nowhere.

I must be living in a fantasy world because I’m sure to have a group of posters come at me with their anecdotal story of how they have had someone tell them how impressed they were. But to date, everyone I’ve brought to Oklahoma has not liked it.

Anyways I leave with this post. There is obviously a bad stigma about Oklahoma and it is very prevalent. If you don’t think so, you’re living in a fantasy world. I am trying not to post here as much because it has been taking too much of my time and I’m focusing on career, but there are some things I haven’t been able to resist from responding to. When I see how prevalent racism, bigotry, and homophobia is in Oklahoma especially by people who it is so imbedded in they don’t even know they’re doing it, it drives me insane. But by all means, keep defending this bullsh!t and this homophobic f@ck.

To add a further response to the Mick coming out and denouncing Humphreys as overreaction, I don’t think it’s ever bad to make light of a situation by reassuring that the gay community is welcome with open arms in OKC. Political leaders sure don’t need a reason to make the exact opposite statement in the form of bills they pass. But by using the opportunity to make a statement that OKC is an all inclusive community is not overreacting and is not a bad thing. But I’m sure you don’t want that. Not like you’re homophobic or anything. Just the idea of having city leaders come out and make a big statement putting further emphasis on welcoming people from all walks of life including LGBTQs just isn’t necessary. I get it.

17. Default Re: John Rex Middle School

Anecdotally, I’m a very talkative person and I’m very opinionated. I strike up conversations all the time with people from all walks of life on the subway, riding my bike, at my schools, at my work. Wherever. I can always tell when I say I’m from Oklahoma, if they even know where it’s at, I get a funny reaction. Most of their understandings are that it’s a conservative state and boring. The stigma is there and it doesn’t come from nowhere.

I must be living in a fantasy world because I’m sure to have a group of posters come at me with their anecdotal story of how they have had someone tell them how impressed they were. But to date, everyone I’ve brought to Oklahoma has not liked it.
    Count me as one of those posters. I travel a lot, talk to people all over the country often and have had people come to visit from the coasts and I have had the opposite experience and reaction you have had every time. And I am not a native (born and raised in SoCal, actually), I have lived in all four corners of the country and the middle. This is my favorite place...by far.

And it seems like you have found the right place for you, so that's great!

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Count me as one of those posters. I travel a lot, talk to people all over the country often and have had people come to visit from the coasts and I have had the opposite experience and reaction you have had every time. And I am not a native (born and raised in SoCal, actually), I have lived in all four corners of the country and the middle. This is my favorite place...by far.

And it seems like you have found the right place for you, so that's great!
    yeah it’s reallt weird. I wish I could say the opposite. I really try and talk up my hometown and avoid negatives when talking with people about it.

For my career and aspirations, yes, I am in the right place. If I make it big, I’ll get involved in my local community back in OKC big time to try and do my part.

yeah it’s reallt weird. I wish I could say the opposite. I really try and talk up my hometown and avoid negatives when talking with people about it.

For my career and aspirations, yes, I am in the right place. If I make it big, I’ll get involved in my local community back in OKC big time to try and do my part.
    Judging by the tone and attitude in many of your posts, I could see why you might think people have a negative perception of Oklahoma when you tell them you’re from here or why people might have a negative perception of Oklahoma after talking to you about it or visiting with you. Negativity breeds negativity, whether intentional or not.

I travel all over the country and frequently host visitors from out of town, have been for well over a decade now. Very seldomly do I get a negative reaction when i mention being from here and I’ve never gotten one from anyone that’s spent anytime with me while visiting here or anyone I’ve met that’s relocated here. While OK isn’t perfect by any means, far more often than not, Oklahoma’s harshest critics are its own long term residents and former residents that grew up here.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Judging by the tone and attitude in many of your posts, I could see why you might think people have a negative perception of Oklahoma when you tell them you’re from here or why people might have a negative perception of Oklahoma after talking to you about it or visiting with you. Negativity breeds negativity, whether intentional or not.

I travel all over the country and frequently host visitors from out of town, have been for well over a decade now. Very seldomly do I get a negative reaction when i mention being from here and I’ve never gotten one from anyone that’s spent anytime with me while visiting here or anyone I’ve met that’s relocated here. Far more often than not, Oklahoma’s harshest critics are its own long term residents and former residents that grew up here.
    It’s possible. But I do my best to portray OKC in positive light anytime I talk about it with anyone. I love my state and I want it to be better. I believe it will.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    What a ****hole thread
    Yup. There are some people it's not worth having a conversation with. Like I said, garbage in, garbage out.

This has turned far too political.

Let's please leave that for the Politics forum.

23. Default Re: John Rex Middle School

Saw a NewsOK headline about a possible new building but can’t read the article.

https://newsok.com/article/5607689/a...e-new-building

^

Nothing specific was mentioned.

The school district doesn't have land or the money to buy land, so they would need a bond issue vote.

They do mention 'something near the river' but that is not new info.

Blog Entries

Seems like they could just mirror the current configuration on the opposite side of their current lot, maybe go a few stories higher even. Would kill parts of the playground but they're so close to MBG and such...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rex.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	14903

Thread Information