Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hopdoddy

Default Re: Hopdoddy

I stopped by for lunch today. The meat and toppings were as good as I remember them to be. The bun was a little hard though, some crumbling when I pressed on it to get the burger in my mouth.

2. Default Re: Hopdoddy

Went today with a group of four....

Arrived a bit before 1pm and the line was almost to the door but only about 70% of the tables were occupied - naturally the rest were pre-saved for people in line. I personally like that policy. Keeps people from hoarding tables while their party waits 40 minutes to even order.

The place itself is nice. It screams "New Nichols Hills Casual Burger Joint" but it's still really nice. It's also fairly loud inside. The staff was super friendly and attentive.

Took about 35 minutes to place an order - by then the line was out the door (just barely). Definitely not what I'd call a kid friendly place if your kids don't really have patience for lines and sitting at your table for awhile.

3 of us ordered shakes just to give them a try. I had chocolate and we all agreed they were "okay" but pretty watery and you couldn't taste the ice cream at all.

We all then shared the chili fries and the truffle fries - which arrived about 10 minutes before the burgers.

They were both pretty good with my preference going to the truffle variety.

When the burgers arrived (I had the PrimeTime) they looked great and we knew they had to be fresh off the grill because the place was so busy - but that's where it got a bit odd. We all agreed our burgers were not even remotely hot to even warm. They were all room temperature. I'm not even sure how that is possible.

As far as taste, they were okay. Definitely not bad. But definitely not impressive either.

For the cost and inconvenience, we all agreed this would not be on our regular rotation, but that we'd all come back if we were in the area and other's insisted.

When compared to burger joints with a proven track record, I'd eat at Tucker's before I'd venture into this place again.

I'll be interested to see if lines still exist come October.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37842943_10216806365493154_8697980571709603840_n.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	14803

Got terrible service at the bar. We chose the bar to skip standing in line. There’s a server behind the bar that doesn’t actually tend bar...but they also don’t run food so what’s the point?? We had to order from the server, then some poor soul who’s only job it is to stand at the drink well and make tickets had to make our drinks, along with all the other orders from the tables...Orders taken and ran by servers who also don’t take food orders or run food. Whaaaa?????

Our second drink orders that we placed slightly before our food arrived never came. So we eventually just asked they be taken off our bill so we could leave. Then she disappeared for ages to go find the manager to authorize the void.

After 90 minutes of not waiting in line, the burger were lame. Very decent beef, but there was little to no flavor despite all the quality ingredients. I could have been helped with just a little salt & pepper, but there was none to be found. I might go back in a year or two. Why not go to Tucker’s, or pops, or s&b, or garage if your in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Went today with a group of four....

Arrived a bit before 1pm and the line was almost to the door but only about 70% of the tables were occupied - naturally the rest were pre-saved for people in line. I personally like that policy. Keeps people from hoarding tables while their party waits 40 minutes to even order.

The place itself is nice. It screams "New Nichols Hills Casual Burger Joint" but it's still really nice. It's also fairly loud inside. The staff was super friendly and attentive.

Took about 35 minutes to place an order - by then the line was out the door (just barely). Definitely not what I'd call a kid friendly place if your kids don't really have patience for lines and sitting at your table for awhile.

3 of us ordered shakes just to give them a try. I had chocolate and we all agreed they were "okay" but pretty watery and you couldn't taste the ice cream at all.

We all then shared the chili fries and the truffle fries - which arrived about 10 minutes before the burgers.

They were both pretty good with my preference going to the truffle variety.

When the burgers arrived (I had the PrimeTime) they looked great and we knew they had to be fresh off the grill because the place was so busy - but that's where it got a bit odd. We all agreed our burgers were not even remotely hot to even warm. They were all room temperature. I'm not even sure how that is possible.

As far as taste, they were okay. Definitely not bad. But definitely not impressive either.

For the cost and inconvenience, we all agreed this would not be on our regular rotation, but that we'd all come back if we were in the area and other's insisted.

When compared to burger joints with a proven track record, I'd eat at Tucker's before I'd venture into this place again.

I'll be interested to see if lines still exist come October.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37842943_10216806365493154_8697980571709603840_n.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	14803
    Sounds very similar to the experience some friends of ours had there a couple of days ago.

I still haven't been yet, but I'm wondering if some of these things people are writing about (slow service, food not being warm) are symptoms of a new place trying to get its act together. The high price point is a tougher obstacle to overcome though.

Hopdoddy is average at best. Shake shack has always been better, but doesn't make a damn since we don't have one. Garage burgers are some of the best around especially for the Price.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I still haven't been yet, but I'm wondering if some of these things people are writing about (slow service, food not being warm) are symptoms of a new place trying to get its act together. The high price point is a tougher obstacle to overcome though.
    This is their twelfth store. Someone has to know how to run it.

Our Simple Plan (as basic consumers rather than developers and certainly not critics), is/was, to entertain and feed a young couple, members of the extended family, on their long drive back to Minnesota, after a tour of duty in the Air Force, and following a visit to the Grand Canyon, while passing through Oklahoma City. It included three options: 1) The Wedge on N. Western; 2) Off the Hook on S. Merdian; and 3) Hopdoddy in Nichols Hills Plaza. Hopdoddy was chosen. I didn't argue. When we arrived at Hopdoddy it was so crowded and incredibly loud that we all decided that a few simple, easy, steps up north, to Pops #2, might be an acceptable alternative choice. Apparently it was OK. We all left smiling. I'm still craving the "Truffle Fries" at Hopdoddy and we will definitely return to sample them . . . yet the burger at Pop's wasn't too shabby. And priced right. =~)

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    This is their twelfth store. Someone has to know how to run it.
    One would hope so . . . I suppose . . . =~) For real. Hopdoddy run HopBunz out of Tulsa. For trademark infringement of all things. Can you imagine that? Hipster Justice and Truffle Fries . . . =~)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    One would hope so . . . I suppose . . . =~) For real. Hopdoddy run HopBunz out of Tulsa. For trademark infringement of all things. Can you imagine that? Hipster Justice and Truffle Fries . . . =~)
    Iguana held "Taco Tuesdays" until threatened by a chain that claimed rights to the term.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Iguana held "Taco Tuesdays" until threatened by a chain that claimed rights to the term.
    Taco John's, right? I've heard of a place that replaced it with a "Cease and Desist Taco Special".

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Our Simple Plan (as basic consumers rather than developers and certainly not critics), is/was, to entertain and feed a young couple, members of the extended family, on their long drive back to Minnesota, after a tour of duty in the Air Force, and following a visit to the Grand Canyon, while passing through Oklahoma City. It included three options: 1) The Wedge on N. Western; 2) Off the Hook on S. Merdian; and 3) Hopdoddy in Nichols Hills Plaza. Hopdoddy was chosen. I didn't argue. When we arrived at Hopdoddy it was so crowded and incredibly loud that we all decided that a few simple, easy, steps up north, to Pops #2, might be an acceptable alternative choice. Apparently it was OK. We all left smiling. I'm still craving the "Truffle Fries" at Hopdoddy and we will definitely return to sample them . . . yet the burger at Pop's wasn't too shabby. And priced right. =~)
    If only you went tomorrow. It would have been priced more right, or is that only at the other location?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    If only you went tomorrow. It would have been priced more right, or is that only at the other location?
    Their half price burger Tuesdays has ended at Pops.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Their half price burger Tuesdays has ended at Pops.
    Nuts, I didn't even know they were half priced. Back when I went they were $2.

Tried Hopdoddy's with my wife a week ago. Line was 45 mins. Burger was very good but there is already better in the market. The Truffle Fries were disappointing. Thin and hard.

I wonder how the Nichols Hills feedback (a big bag of 'meh') will impact the Chisolm Creek location.

I went by last night (a Tuesday) at 8:30PM and it was completely packed.

I'm sure they will do big business in this market.

Their model is similar to Torchy's Tacos and in both instances the bar traffic is a big driver. I'd say their most direct competitor is The Garage and the same can be said for them: There are better burgers in town but theirs are very good and they do a good job in general, so much so their much bigger locations are frequently full.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post

Hopdoddy is still my "go to" in Texas for a good burger. I'm sure lots of Texans will be happy there is one here if they are traveling up here. S&B/Tuckers/Garage do not exist in Texas and its a pain to find/research a good burger place but if I see a hopdoddy nearby, I'm in.

My ONLY problem with the place (and I know others may not agree with me) was that they serve Maine Root Cola. I HATE Maine Root. I almost walked out when i saw the drink machines, but I decided to stay and just get water. Burger was pretty good! But water with a burger just doesnt cut it for me. It will definitely be a SECOND choice for a burger in the future.

It's hilarious visiting this establishment and seeing the Nichols Hills crowd in all of its botoxed glory juxtaposed against the Austiny aesthetic. Weird location for this place but the burgers are pretty good. Hate the delivery concept, though. I just sit at the bar because standing in line for the burgers, as good as they are, seems ridiculous.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    It's hilarious visiting this establishment and seeing the Nichols Hills crowd in all of its botoxed glory juxtaposed against the Austiny aesthetic. Weird location for this place but the burgers are pretty good. Hate the delivery concept, though. I just sit at the bar because standing in line for the burgers, as good as they are, seems ridiculous.
    Stereotype much? So which stereotype do you fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Stereotype much? So which stereotype do you fit?
    TROLL MUCH? Why yes, yes you do.

Blog Entries

TROLL MUCH? Why yes, yes you do.
    Sorry if you think you are being trolled...really just being called out for the kind of talk that promotes misinformation, division, and is trolling in and of itself. You obviously have some sort of problem with persons who might live in this wealthier neighborhood. Instead of just saying you don’t understand the wisdom of putting a more trendy upscale restaurant in Nichols Hills, you snark on the neighborhood people.

Hopdoddys has been packed from opening. And while I expect a good amount are from the near area, I would guess it has drawn interest from elsewhere as it’s the first in OKC. I’ll bet maybe some have had Botox, but I know for a fact some patrons of Kitchen 324, Hatch, Waffle Champion, honey Bunny, Hurts, etc., etc. have too. And they sit next to the tatted up, the millenials, the downtowners.....l

It's hilarious visiting this establishment and seeing the Nichols Hills crowd in all of its botoxed glory juxtaposed against the Austiny aesthetic.
    You just gotta be more subtle man. You coulda said “hilarious visiting this establishment and seeing a cool $4,000,000 in luxury cars, engines running, with tiny dogs locked inside yapping their F’ing brains out, juxtaposed against the Austiny aesthetic.”

But these two are message board flamers. So what are you gonna do? :-)

Not to throw gasoline, but would the NH crowd actually be closer to Austiny aesthetic than OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Not to throw gasoline, but would the NH crowd actually be closer to Austiny aesthetic than OKC?
    I think we'd be giving the NH set too much credit in this case. Money can buy a lot of things, but it has never bought weirdness or panache.

Thread Information