Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US-75/I-44 Interchange

Default US-75/I-44 Interchange

Will be upgraded to a 3 level. My opinion is that this is bullsh!t and it should be a 4 stack. OkDOT being cheap.

Remember, this interchange project is not even scheduled on the 8yr plan, so it could be more than a decade before construction even starts unless a miracle comes through and OkDOT either gets more funding or can take out loans for high priority projects such as this one.

Here is the meeting link with more documents: https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and...1102_I-44.html

Default Re: US-75/I-44 Interchange

Few notes:

* I-44 and US-75 will be reconstructed for a mile or so in each direction from this interchange
    *The 75 will be reconstructed to allow for an seamless upgrade to 8 lanes in the near future
    *Multiple road interchanges and bridges will be rebuilt

God bless son, you don't even live here. Take a breather.

I don’t see why me living there has anything to do with it. I’m entitled to my opinions. I want the best for the state. Trust me, I’m breathing, but slowly lol

If you think the plan is bad, why don't you move back here and fight them on it? Empty criticism is empty criticism. Hot air.

I don’t know what it is about Oklahoma, but people there can’t take criticism at all. Good grief.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Will be upgraded to a 3 level. My opinion is that this is bullsh!t and it should be a 4 stack. OkDOT being cheap.

Remember, this interchange project is not even scheduled on the 8yr plan, so it could be more than a decade before construction even starts unless a miracle comes through and OkDOT either gets more funding or can take out loans for high priority projects such as this one.

Here is the meeting link with more documents: https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and...1102_I-44.html
    The state has applied for the I-44 and US-75 corridors in the Tulsa area to be part of Trump's promised but not moving infrastructure plan. These highways need to be fixed yesterday with Tulsa Hills and the growth in southwest Tulsa, Jenks and Glenpool. US-75 is overwhelmed and dangerous now at I-44 and than again at the 81st St exit by Tulsa Hills. It needs to be widened from at least the north side of the Creek Turnpike in Jenks all the way downtown with redone exits at 61st (in this plan) 41st, 96th (main in Jenks), 81st and most especially the ridiculous stoplight at 141st in Glenpool. That stoplight backs up traffic for a mile in each direction during large parts of each day.

The four stack isn't needed because there's so little traffic from eastbound I-44 moving onto northbound US-75 to downtown, check a map, the bulk of that traffic is on the I-244 split. The only traffic off I-44 going downtown comes from local traffic getting on I-44 at Union and a little traffic from 33rd W Ave and most 33rd traffic is also going to just get on I-244 just a few blocks north of I-44.

The state is funny though, they never really pay attention to Tulsa. The frontage road along I-44 all through Tulsa is not Skelly "Avenue", it's Skelly DRIVE. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of Tulsa knows that avenues in Tulsa all run north and south. Also, the languages they used in the presentations. This area doesn't have a Vietnamese population to speak of, that's in east Tulsa. This area has a good sized Burmese population.

Yeah I’m very skeptical about Trumps infrastructure plan. I recently read he reversed his decision on PPP’s, which tbh I was never much a fan of in the first place, but it was weird and didn’t show he really had much of a plan to begin with. He also said the PPP’s would cover the majority of the costs so where will the money come from now? Shame. His infrastructure plan was basically the only thing I liked about him.

I’d like to see a 4 lane limited access Hwy 75 from Tulsa all the way to Dallas sometime in my lifetime. But in the short term seeing 75 become limited access to the Tulsa County line would be a major improvement with the I-44 interchange the #1 priority.

OkDOT has proposed a new bypass for Muskogee under US-69. Hopefully it will eventually be I-45 one day.

OkDOT has proposed a new bypass for Muskogee under US-69. Hopefully it will eventually be I-45 one day.
    That would be interesting and definitely makes sense. Would a future I-45 dead end in Muskogee or continue up 75 into Tulsa? 75 is already interstate standard from the Texas-OK border into Dallas.

Blog Entries

I would like to see a new US-75 turnpike from Glenpool to Durant. You could shave 30-40 miles and at least an hour of travel time from a Tulsa to Dallas trip.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    That would be interesting and definitely makes sense. Would a future I-45 dead end in Muskogee or continue up 75 into Tulsa? 75 is already interstate standard from the Texas-OK border into Dallas.
    I’m not too knowledgeable on this corridor as I haven’t used it much at all. However I became rather interested in this highway after learning that the Durant through Calera section is being upgraded in 2019 to a fully controlled access facility with interstate standards. The project was possible due to the FastAct(transportation package approved by Obama and gasp, it actually delivered) and will start way sooner than it was supposed to(10+years!!).

That amazed me because when I started looking more into this highway it was apparent it is a heavily trafficked corridor. Not much funding available to do anything and from other posters on another forum, this Muskogee Bypass is a decade out as well.

That’s important to note about this project is unless something drastic changes with OkDOTs funding, the US-75/I-44 interchange won’t be completed for at least 10 Years probably. It isn’t on the 7 year plan though it’s possible OkODT might include it on the next 7yr plan in 2018 but it’d likely be a small phase I’d guess.

As far as I-45 going further north, I’d perosnally like to see it go to Tulsa. Tulsa seems positioned to have 2 new interstates serving it down the road I-45 being one of them.

As far as I-45 going further north, I’d perosnally like to see it go to Tulsa. Tulsa seems positioned to have 2 new interstates serving it down the road I-45 being one of them.
    I-44, I-45 and ?

I thought there was talk about a connection to Fayetteville. I’m not too sure about the number but I’m certain I saw a map at one point.

I thought there was talk about a connection to Fayetteville. I’m not too sure about the number but I’m certain I saw a map at one point.
    Doubt US 412 ever goes interstate but should be limited access all the way to I-49. It’s probably 75% there, just a few gaps outside Tulsa and in Arkansas. Something like the Cimarron Turnpike from Tulsa to Springdale would be nice.

Does the 75 to Bartlesville have a lot of traffic?

Does the 75 to Bartlesville have a lot of traffic?
    I think it's a decent amount, there is some commuter traffic between the northern Tulsa suburbs and Bartlesville (mostly COP-related). Not much past Bartlesville though and quickly turns into a 2 lane highway in Kansas. You take US 169 if you're driving to Kansas City, or I-44 to I-49 which takes about the same amount of time (depending on which part of KC you are going to).

Blog Entries

Doubt US 412 ever goes interstate but should be limited access all the way to I-49. It’s probably 75% there, just a few gaps outside Tulsa and in Arkansas. Something like the Cimarron Turnpike from Tulsa to Springdale would be nice.
    In Oklahoma there are a couple of parts that are not limited access but not much and upgrading wouldn't be hard until you get to West Siloam Springs at the state line. Once you are there and through most of Arkansas US-412 is a street and upgrading is not possible. Arkansas would for the most part have to build an all new highway for 412.

I think it's a decent amount, there is some commuter traffic between the northern Tulsa suburbs and Bartlesville (mostly COP-related). Not much past Bartlesville though and quickly turns into a 2 lane highway in Kansas. You take US 169 if you're driving to Kansas City, or I-44 to I-49 which takes about the same amount of time (depending on which part of KC you are going to).
    75 traffic is heavy mostly due to daily commutes, not longer transportation. Particularly the northern suburbs commuting south to Tulsa and north to Bartlesville. Believe it or not Bartlesville has more inbound commuters than outbound each day. That being said, with the Wal-Mart distribution center near Ramona, traffic has ticked up a bit. And for whatever reason, I see a Target truck heading through town at least once a day (I assume there are more and I'm not seeing "the one" every day), so I think the route is used by other distribution entities. Ultimately the road feels like it has more capacity than necessary, however it would probably be one of the highest trafficked two lanes in the state if not already upgraded. Prior to the upgrade it used to wind through all the smaller communities between Tulsa and Bartlesville and made the trip over an hour (so I have heard, I'm too young to recall).

I agree, a huge overhaul for the 75/I-44 Interchange isn't necessary because of actual traffic. It was necessary because it was crumbling beneath our tires. The ramps were a joke, and left little entrance room. It is dangerous. But it's generally not that busy, by and large because of the split a few miles west of there, and the Creek Turnpike, both offering alternative routes to what I-44 offers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I agree, a huge overhaul for the 75/I-44 Interchange isn't necessary because of actual traffic. It was necessary because it was crumbling beneath our tires. The ramps were a joke, and left little entrance room. It is dangerous. But it's generally not that busy, by and large because of the split a few miles west of there, and the Creek Turnpike, both offering alternative routes to what I-44 offers.
    No, this isn't correct. The single exit ramp from eastbound I-44 to northbound US-75 isn't busy because of the I-244 split in that direction, that's why the state doesn't want a flyover for this single section. The other three sections of the interchange are overwhelmed and the interchange is old garbage. US-75 daily comes to a complete standstill at rush hour at I-44 that's at least a mile long. The backup lasts from about 41st to 61st going up the side of Turkey Mountain and often backs up beyond I-244 split often in the afternoons. On top of that the interchange is dangerous and the bridges are 50-70 years old. The exits at 81st 121st back up onto the highway every day and the stop light at 141st backs up traffic for a mile every day. US-75 has way more traffic than it can handle. I-44's traffic isn't as bad, except for the traffic exiting to US-75 from eastbound I-44 trying to get on north/south US-75. The worst part is that the whole interchange is just potholes patched over potholes that should have been replaced 20 years ago. It's terrible and getting worse, with the growth in Jenks.

Jenks and Glenpool today are about the same size as Bartlesville and over the next decade or or so Jenks alone with be the same size. The traffic is just going to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Jenks and Glenpool today are about the same size as Bartlesville and over the next decade or or so Jenks alone with be the same size. The traffic is just going to get worse.
    That is probably one of the highest growth suburban areas in Tulsa. SW Tulsa, Jenks, Glenpool, Kiefer, even as far south as Mounds and Liberty. And 75 is the main thoroughfare due to limited river crossings. Though there is a plan for a future river bridge at 121st and growth in far south Tulsa along the river:

Oh my god I can't even tell you how badly this is needed. This is a major pain in my daily commute. This stretch of I44 is a madhouse during rush hour and it's so obvious that traffic outgrew the current setup decades ago. If this were in Texas it would be one of those massive 100' flyover interchanges long ago.

I'm very glad to see someone at the state is at least thinking about getting some real work done, but I fear I will be long gone before they even start. I44 and the BA expressway is nearly as bad.

I know there are a lot of interchanges in OKC that need attention too, but Tulsa has NEEDED this for so long, it's getting downright scandalous.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    75 traffic is heavy mostly due to daily commutes, not longer transportation. Particularly the northern suburbs commuting south to Tulsa and north to Bartlesville. Believe it or not Bartlesville has more inbound commuters than outbound each day.
    Nothing at all hard to believe about that. This is because more people would rather live in the Tulsa area to be more conveniently closer to take advantage of all the greater things is has to offer over trying to live in Bartlesville, especially during the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    Oh my god I can't even tell you how badly this is needed. This is a major pain in my daily commute. This stretch of I44 is a madhouse during rush hour and it's so obvious that traffic outgrew the current setup decades ago. If this were in Texas it would be one of those massive 100' flyover interchanges long ago.

I'm very glad to see someone at the state is at least thinking about getting some real work done, but I fear I will be long gone before they even start. I44 and the BA expressway is nearly as bad.

I know there are a lot of interchanges in OKC that need attention too, but Tulsa has NEEDED this for so long, it's getting downright scandalous.
    You can be that most Oklahomans would NOT be willing to have a better interstate system throughout the state, if it meant paying higher gas taxes. Some years ago Oklahoma voters turned down that idea by nearly 90%.

Thread Information