Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ponyboy

1. Uptown/23rd Ponyboy

I received this photo from Rachel Cope a couple a weeks, but it now seems she made it public on Instagram (@ponyboyokc).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ponyboy.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	360.4 KB 
ID:	14210

Default Re: Ponyboy

What kind of restaurant will this be?

3. Default Re: Ponyboy

Tulsa's gonna be so pissed

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    What kind of restaurant will this be?
    I believe they will just be using the lower part of the old S&L space and just serve drinks, not food.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Tulsa's gonna be so pissed
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe they will just be using the lower part of the old S&L space and just serve drinks, not food.
    It seems like somewhat of a waste to not use the upper floor. Hopefully Ponyboy is more successful than S&L was. I already think the branding is an improvement.

HangryHippo Guest

Haha, thanks Martin. Urbanized’s internet humor is far too witty and subtle for me.

Wait, for real? What is going to happen to the upstairs of ex-Savings and Loan? The upstairs is the only reason I ever went.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Wait, for real? What is going to happen to the upstairs of ex-Savings and Loan? The upstairs is the only reason I ever went.
    The upstairs will open about 30 days after the downstairs.

Ahh, okay good deal- thanks Pete.
    I really liked the feel of S&L but not so much the execution, mainly because I'm not a real "cocktail bar" guy. My first time there I don't believe they had draught taps upstairs and then they turned down two or three requests for your typical "well" mixed drinks before I was presented with some $10 special iteration of an old fashioned. I felt like the guy trying to order a coors light at a brewery.

To each his own though, I admire them for trying something different. I'll be interested to see how Ponyboy turns out as I am a regular on 23rd.

I don't know why operators have been so slow to move off craft cocktails as their main focus. That fad has largely passed and never really even took hold here.

Even the new proprietors of Rockford have made the shift and their business is already way up.

^

I like craft cocktails and really liked some of Savings and Loan's cocktails, but to not be willing to serve basic beers or basic mixed drinks is a bit much. To me, the best places have both. That said, I do miss S&L and hope some creative cocktails are introduced at the new place without being ostentatious and are coupled with more traditional offerings.

I was never big on the atmosphere of Savings and Loan. It simply wasn't my kind of place which was surprising given the fact I thought I would really like it when the concept was announced on this site. On the other hand, I really like the Bunker Club. It's one of my favorite bars in OKC and one of the few places I drink cocktails.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    I felt like the guy trying to order a coors light at a brewery.
    Seconded. I had no idea what I wanted to order and the bar was very busy when the bartender asked me what I wanted. Out of instinct from my early twenties my mouth blurted out "jack and coke", as way to keep things moving. The bartender legit laughed at me and continued to shame me for thinking they had Jack Daniels. Lost my business.

I don't know why operators have been so slow to move off craft cocktails as their main focus. That fad has largely passed and never really even took hold here.

Even the new proprietors of Rockford have made the shift and their business is already way up.
    Interesting to hear, I've been passing up the Rockford in favor of Bunker and the Pump lately due to that very reason (being coctail-centric). I'll definitely go back to Rockford next time I'm out on 23rd.

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Seconded. I had no idea what I wanted to order and the bar was very busy when the bartender asked me what I wanted. Out of instinct from my early twenties my mouth blurted out "jack and coke", as way to keep things moving. The bartender legit laughed at me and continued to shame me for thinking they had Jack Daniels. Lost my business.
    Hahaha yeah, that's pretty much step-for-step how it went down for me. I think I just ended up asking for "one of the drinks on the menu that's for men."

Cocktails that are more than 3 ingredients, take over 3 minutes to make and costs $12 or more just isnt Oklahoma's style, I believe.

May sound dumb and cheap but many times I want value, meaning I want the proper amount of ABV to the cost of the drink. If this fancy craft cocktail only has one shot of liquor, its kind of ridiculous to charge $12. Plus, some of these cocktails can be so little that you tend to drink them too fast. Beer or wine is usually the option for me.

20. Default Re: Ponyboy

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Now that is odd. I remember going to WSKY when it first opened with a few friends. I brought my own cigar as did my friends. I am not a huge whiskey drinker so I asked for a water and asked if they had any beers on tap. They guy laughed and me then tried to upsell me on getting some cigar and a drink deal... I already had a cigar.... I was just asking if there were beers on tap man. Never went back.

My opinion is that craft cocktails can work but not as the main or only focus.

You need also need a solid beer program, preferably with a decent selection on tap. And decent well drinks too.

I'm assuming they'll have a beer called Stay Golden Ale.

23. Default Re: Ponyboy

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I'm assuming they'll have a beer called Stay Golden Ale.
    I don't know about that but they better have Soda Pop.

My opinion is that craft cocktails can work but not as the main or only focus.

You need also need a solid beer program, preferably with a decent selection on tap. And decent well drinks too.
    From the few times I've been there, I think a place like Bunker Club handles this well. Creative and delicious craft cocktails, but also a good selection of beers on tap.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    From the few times I've been there, I think a place like Bunker Club handles this well. Creative and delicious craft cocktails, but also a good selection of beers on tap.
    I would agree with this. The Bunker Club is currently one of my favorite bars in town.

I don't think OKC is large enough nor does it have the kind of culture to be able to support a bar that is exclusively focused on $12+ craft cocktails. Maybe it would work in the right location and if branded the right way, but S&L definitely didn't do it right. A good selection of craft beers and wells is necessary.

Thread Information