Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ponyboy

Default Re: Ponyboy

Yes, it actually makes it feel pretty claustrophobic if it is busy.

Went to the Sun June/Fruit Bats show here tonight - this is a great venue, and fills exactly the right kind of niche for OKC. Perfect sized spot for touring indie bands as well as up-and-coming local bands. Can't wait to see who else the Tower folks bring in - I think there's potential for this place to be OKC's version of Satellite Bar (I can hope at least).

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Went to the Sun June/Fruit Bats show here tonight - this is a great venue, and fills exactly the right kind of niche for OKC. Perfect sized spot for touring indie bands as well as up-and-coming local bands. Can't wait to see who else the Tower folks bring in - I think there's potential for this place to be OKC's version of Satellite Bar (I can hope at least).
    Yes, I met with the Tower guys right before the shows last night (they had one upstairs at Ponyboy as well as in the theater space) and they explained that due to all their booking relationships they needed a smaller venue to accommodate everyone.

Thus, upstairs at Ponyboy is a great fit and they have already booked lots of acts, including some national touring DJ's.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is for OKC to support these events. We finally have a ton of great bookings and either we support the shows or we'll stop getting them.

Yes! People complained for years and years, we finally have a nice thing OKC, go and support this place even if that show you want to see is on a Wednesday night - you'll live!

One of the issues seems to be that there is a good core of people going to shows but there is still a huge market of those not living near the center of the city that isn't taking advantage.

In order for these venues to be successful and to keep bringing in all this great talent, the reach has to be expanded.

The Gazette in particular is going to work with these venues to help better promote them and all their various offerings.

I can tell you I've been to dozens of shows in the last couple of years and even in the case where I didn't particularly know the artist (Lake Street Dive at the Jones, for example) I just had a blast. These people are all great in their own way and it makes for such a fun night out, be it the Jones, Tower, Criterion or one of the smaller venues.

For the longest time people complained there wasn't enough to do here and now that there are multiple things worth doing virtually every night of the week, I am really concerned about the amount of support. I've been brainstorming with people who care about live music, film and art to come up with ways to get more people involved.

6. Default Re: Ponyboy

^^^

I'm doing my best man!

I've been to more concerts in OKC this year than I've probably attended here in the last 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    ^^^

I'm doing my best man!

I've been to more concerts in OKC this year than I've probably attended here in the last 30 years.
    Haha... I'm talking to everyone else!

There is definitely a core group because I see a lot of the same people at almost every show.

8. Default Re: Ponyboy

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Haha... I'm talking to everyone else!

There is definitely a core group because I see a lot of the same people at almost every show.
    Yeah.... I see them at the Americana/Red Dirt/Folk shows too.

I've seen a guy that I sat next to on the Jones patio one night for the Aaron Lee Tasjan show that totally blew my mind.

We got started talking about music and I told him I was in a band and he asked the name. I told him we split up in the late 90's and that he wouldn't know the name.... So I told him the name was Chute 5 and he looked at me and said "You guys played the Terlingua North Music Festival at Hanna Oklahoma in 98. I still have the poster." ...... First time in my life my jaw literally hit the floor... LOL

One of the best things the Tower group could do to grow the OKC scene is to have a local band open most of the shows they book at Ponyboy. I saw they did this a couple weeks back when they had Swim Fan open the Walker Lukens show there, which is great. It would have been awesome if they could have had someone like Spinster open last night’s show. I admittedly have no knowledge of how concert bookings work, but I saw an OKC band (Pigments) open for Girlpool at 89th Street in May, and Girlpool is at least as big as Fruit Bats, so I imagine there’s some level of flexibility.

Before Don MacLean, they had Jared Lekites open, the frontman for local band Lunar Laugh.

He was so good (way better than Don MacLean who really can't hold a note anymore) I vowed to follow that band and see them live again soon.

Gazette had written about them but I had never heard their music, and there is just no substitute for that.

The Jones often has a live acoustic performance on the patio on Friday evenings. I've seen some great local musicians there.

It's all interrelated but the most important thing is that more people get out to support live music.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Before Don MacLean, they had Jared Lekites open, the frontman for local band Lunar Laugh.

He was so good (way better than Don MacLean who really can't hold a note anymore) I vowed to follow that band and see them live again soon.

Gazette had written about them but I had never heard their music, and there is just no substitute for that.

The Jones often has a live acoustic performance on the patio on Friday evenings. I've seen some great local musicians there.

It's all interrelated but the most important thing is that more people get out to support live music.
    This is also a good source for local music.

https://oksessions.com/

Blog Entries

Several of the shows I've attended at Tower (can't speak to all) have had local openers.

Was Fruit Bats on a stage?

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Was Fruit Bats on a stage?
    There is a low stage in the upstairs part of Ponyboy.

Companion and Maddie Razook here tonight will be an excellent local show. (Companion is based out of Fort Collins now, but played OKC for years as Annie Oakley before moving away and changing their band name.)

I’m a Pony! I’m a Pony!!

Thread Information