Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gogi Go

Default Re: Gogi Go

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Xian noodle shop now occupies the midtown space

Not sure how long it's been there
    They have been there for a few weeks. They have ownership of both former Gogi Go locations.

Man I miss Gogi Go. I didn't get by there anywhere near as often as I would have liked but I always enjoyed the food.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Man I miss Gogi Go. I didn't get by there anywhere near as often as I would have liked but I always enjoyed the food.
    We usually stopped in every other Tuesday and man I miss it.

I went there last night and got the spicy chicken bowl and the chef said "Are you sure you want the spicy chicken bowl? It is really spicy" I told the chef to shut up and stop worrying about it and then when I left to grab my seat, I overheard the chef telling another customer the same thing and I went to him and told him to stop telling every customer and stop worrying about it and cook! The chef is a nutcase for asking every customer "Are you sure you want it? It is really spicy"

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    I went there last night and got the spicy chicken bowl and the chef said "Are you sure you want the spicy chicken bowl? It is really spicy" I told the chef to shut up and stop worrying about it and then when I left to grab my seat, I overheard the chef telling another customer the same thing and I went to him and told him to stop telling every customer and stop worrying about it and cook! The chef is a nutcase for asking every customer "Are you sure you want it? It is really spicy"
    They have probably had people complain that it was too spicy, so they just want to make sure.

I get that question almost every time I order anything spicy anywhere.

6. Default Re: Gogi Go

I've gotten that question before too and not just at Asian restaurarants... Smokey Rays will warn you about their pulled pork sandwich. Which does pack a pretty decent amount of heat compared to most pulled pork you will be served.

I also made the mistake of saying "You can't make it too hot." at a Thai restaurant once..... I ate it but they almost proved me wrong.

7. Default Re: Gogi Go

Around 30 years ago I was on a date at the Bricktown Brewery, ordered hot wings. The waiter suggested I didn’t want hot because it was, well, really hot. My twenty something manhood felt insulted (in front of a date, no less), so I said no, I ordered hot, I want hot. He had the nerve to repeat himself, as if I didn’t know what I was asking for.

Completely insulted at this point, I doubled down (admittedly like a total douche, in retrospect) and said “I’ll tell you what…your tip will be DIRECTLY PROPORTIONATE to how hot those wings are.” He said “fine” and walked away…wait…was that a glint of satisfaction I saw in his eyes as he turned to walk to the kitchen?!

When he came back with our order, he placed a bowl in front of me, containing my order of wings. Floating in what seemed to be about a half pint of Tobasco sauce. ONLY Tobasco. Checkmate. I ate every damned wing, flavorless but for the overwhelming amount of Tobasco. Never complained, as was only fair and correct.

I learned a lot about life that day. Also on the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I've gotten that question before too and not just at Asian restaurarants... Smokey Rays will warn you about their pulled pork sandwich. Which does pack a pretty decent amount of heat compared to most pulled pork you will be served.

I also made the mistake of saying "You can't make it too hot." at a Thai restaurant once..... I ate it but they almost proved me wrong.
    I get the same question almost every time I order spicy food, especially at Thai restaurants. The only time I really should have heeded the warning was at Chae when it was on 23rd. I asked for them to make it spicy, and the waitress replied "the cooks love to make it spicy, so they'll take care of you". I then proceeded to have the spiciest food I've ever eaten. When I asked her what they used to make it spicy, she said they use a combination of peppers and pure capsaicin extract. It was the first and only time I've not been able to finish a meal due to the heat... it was unbearable.

There is nothing too spicy for me, except...

At an authentic Thai restaurant in L.A. I got talked down to a 7/10 and it was still the hottest dish I've ever had and I couldn't even finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is nothing too spicy for me, except...

At an authentic Thai restaurant in L.A. I got talked down to a 7/10 and it was still the hottest dish I've ever had and I couldn't even finish it.
    My brother lives in LA and had almost the exact same experience. There is nothing too spicy for him. He went to a Thai restaurant and demanded their spiciest level, explaining he didn’t want “American spicy.” They tried to talk him down and even the chef came out to make sure he was sane. I don’t know if he finished it, but he admitted it was the first time ever that he truly felt the like it was too much, face turned red and body sweating. The chef ended up giving him a few of their spices to take home.

11. Default Re: Gogi Go

I was also served a Vindaloo at the Indian restaurant that used to be in the south building of the shopping center at 122nd & Penn, but I can't remember the name now, that made me regret that life decision..... They didn't warn me though and I only tasted about the first 2 bites... All I tasted after that was pain.

12. Default Re: Gogi Go

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    My brother lives in LA and had almost the exact same experience. There is nothing too spicy for him. He went to a Thai restaurant and demanded their spiciest level, explaining he didn’t want “American spicy.” They tried to talk him down and even the chef came out to make sure he was sane. I don’t know if he finished it, but he admitted it was the first time ever that he truly felt the like it was too much, face turned red and body sweating. The chef ended up giving him a few of their spices to take home.
    There was a place on 23rd for awhile, believe it was called Banana Moon, that served a spicy beef noodle stew.... Went in one day to get a bowl and saw another gentleman order it. He was a sweaty, snotty, mess after just a few bites. I mean he had snot bubbles his nose was running so bad and his face was bright red. The waiter went to his table to check on him. He wasn't able to finish it.

13. Default Re: Gogi Go

I just want to make clear that I love Tobasco (and other hot stuff). I use it liberally, without giving it a second thought. SWIMMING in Tobasco is quite a different proposition.

For those who really like spicy food, I recommend the Peppers Galore wings at Chick n Beer.

It's full of spicy goodness and plenty hot but not so much your meal becomes some sort of laddish eating dare. Also, the top two levels at Port of Peri Peri are not dumbed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    For those who really like spicy food, I recommend the Peppers Galore wings at Chick n Beer.

It's full of spicy goodness and plenty hot but not so much your meal becomes some sort of laddish eating dare. Also, the top two levels at Port of Peri Peri are not dumbed down.
    I'll agree with the Peri Peri observation. I got the next-to-hottest there (only because I didn't know there was a hotter option, didn't see the wall chart until after we ordered, I don't think it was listed in the online menu ) and it was definitely not Americanized. For reference, I almost always get super-hot Thai, habanero salsa (not ghost or bhut joloka, those usually don't have too much taste to them, the hotness just overwhelms everything else), etc.

People demanding refunds for not being able to handle the spice is a real thing. I don't blame restaurants for trying to warn people.

Thread Information