Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gogi Go

Default Re: Gogi Go

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I bet they'll figure the portions out, they really are just too big for one person for lunch (granted I ate pretty much my entire bowl).
    I could have if I wanted to fall asleep at my desk after lunch.

I went today and it was fantastic! Great vibe to the place. The designer / builder Larry Dean Pickering did a marvelous job. With my lunch partner I was able to try both the chicken and the spicy pork. Both were very good: the pork is sauteed in a spicy housemade sauce; the chicken is grilled (with beautiful grill marks and a wonderful charred flavor). The ingredients were super fresh and delicious with a great melange of Korean flavors: sweet, salty, tangy, and sour. The atmosphere was energetic and very inviting. Clearly the chef knows what he is doing in the kitchen but I was equally impressed by his management of the operations. It was humming efficiently and seemed like it had been open for a long time.

Gogi Go seems like something that could be a fantastic franchise in urban settings. It's like a Korean Chipotle with way better food and a nicer atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I went today and it was fantastic! Great vibe to the place. The designer / builder Larry Dean Pickering did a marvelous job. With my lunch partner I was able to try both the chicken and the spicy pork. Both were very good: the pork is sauteed in a spicy housemade sauce; the chicken is grilled (with beautiful grill marks and a wonderful charred flavor). The ingredients were super fresh and delicious with a great melange of Korean flavors: sweet, salty, tangy, and sour. The atmosphere was energetic and very inviting. Clearly the chef knows what he is doing in the kitchen but I was equally impressed by his management of the operations. It was humming efficiently and seemed like it had been open for a long time.

Gogi Go seems like something that could be a fantastic franchise in urban settings. It's like a Korean Chipotle with way better food and a nicer atmosphere.
    I went today and I agree with all of the above. Very yummy food and very efficient, friendly operation. They were pretty busy too which is a good sign.

But, and not to complain, I also agree with an earlier post who said the portions are very large. They are going to have to get a handle on their portion control or else they are gonna lose their shirts. Granted, the bowl wasn't cheap (I think mine ended up at $13 after I made some customization to an $11 base) but I would have been satisfied with 2/3 as much food.

4. Default Re: Gogi Go

I keep seeing people comment that the portions are too large. Is there not an option to take leftovers?

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I keep seeing people comment that the portions are too large. Is there not an option to take leftovers?
    I hate when restaurants get that kind of feedback. I'm a very slim person with a high metabolism who somehow has several auxiliary stomachs. So, I have come to really appreciate restaurants with generous portions. Just grab a to-go box if you can't eat it all!

The issue isn't just the big portions, it's that there are also no real lesser cost options.

So you end up paying quite a bit of money (about $13 just for a bowl and no drink) for more food than almost anyone could or should eat.

The best solution would be to split with a friend.

7. Default Re: Gogi Go

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The issue isn't just the big portions, it's that there are also no real lesser cost options.

So you end up paying quite a bit of money (about $13 just for a bowl and no drink) for more food than almost anyone could or should eat.

The best solution would be to split with a friend.
    Or make two/three meals of it.... I can sympathize with wanting lesser cost options, which is a better way of saying it in my opinion, but too much food I'm never going to complain about.

Or make two/three meals of it.... I can sympathize with wanting lesser cost options, which is a better way of saying it in my opinion, but too much food I'm never going to complain about.
    I WAS NOT complaining. I ate all my bowl, even though, as Pete says, no human should eat that much in one sitting. It was very good and I lack willpower. What do you want from me?

No, my concern was more for the restaurateur. Even at $13/bowl I am guessing he is not making money on that bowl, with how much product was in there. Or if so his margins are very slight.

I think there are some elements that don't reheat well. In addition--and this is niche to me--the amount leftover wouldn't make another meal.

I am sure if they publish the calories of their signature bowls, a lot of these hipster-like customers will be scared away.

Thank you soonerguru

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I hate when restaurants get that kind of feedback. I'm a very slim person with a high metabolism who somehow has several auxiliary stomachs. So, I have come to really appreciate restaurants with generous portions. Just grab a to-go box if you can't eat it all!
    The bowls are already high quality paper. Just snap a lid on and it’s a to-go, really good design. That said I’ve been here 3 times and don’t have a problem with the portions. It’s not bimbimbap so I don’t stir and just leave at least half the rice behind. On one lunch occasion I split a bowl and get extra dumplings.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    The bowls are already high quality paper. Just snap a lid on and it’s a to-go, really good design. That said I’ve been here 3 times and don’t have a problem with the portions. It’s not bimbimbap so I don’t stir and just leave at least half the rice behind. On one lunch occasion I split a bowl and get extra dumplings.
    Like we've all said ... the worst thing anyone can complain about is being served too much food. My only issue is that, without reading this site first, 1 bowl is entirely too much food for one person for lunch. I think that the mgmt. is very social media savvy so i believe there will be a "small" size soon.

My gf works across the street, and will be a frequent visitor as this is a perfect need for the neighborhood, but 1 lb of food for ~$13-15 is too much... regardless of size. No restaurant needs to portion their servings with the idea of leftovers.

I don't even work nearby for this to be my go-to spot, just the feedback from my lawyer friends nearby... They have sent their entire firm here... and will continue to come. A normal size male will walk out of there uncomfortably stuffed. One simple change (aside from the overly smoky room (which is surprising bc i assumed the vent hood was stronger than necessary)) this place will kill. Larry's design is 100% and the Kanaly mural makes it so unique.

This concept is rampant in Europe and I'm jealous i didn't bring it here before they did.

Leftovers don't really work for lunch. Most people have to go back to work.

15. Default Re: Gogi Go

Leftovers don't really work for lunch. Most people have to go back to work.
    Every office I've ever worked in had a break room with a refrigerator for people that brown bag it. Some of us that work also work long hours and leftovers at lunch become dinner at our desk.

Why do people complain about the price, when in this day and age you can look up prices before you go. Most ridiculous thing people complain or review upon, when you control how much your spending or see how much you are before you do it. The value is in the bowl. You pay for quality. Panda Express is more reasonable if you want cheap.

Every office I've ever worked in had a break room with a refrigerator for people that brown bag it. Some of us that work also work long hours and leftovers at lunch become dinner at our desk.
    Allow me to explain a little further. I'm out of the office during the day seeing clients. I really don't want to leave leftover Korean food in my car all day. And there are other people who may not have a break-room fridge where they work. Capisce?

18. Default Re: Gogi Go

Allow me to explain a little further. I'm out of the office during the day seeing clients. I really don't want to leave leftover Korean food in my car all day. And there are other people who may not have a break-room fridge where they work. Capisce?
    So it's not about most of the people you mentioned above... It's about you... Ok... Got ya!

Ate here yesterday for the first time and would like to start off by saying that I thought it was very delicious, however, I agree with several of the complaints. I would also add that they have a ventilation problem. The vent hood off the flat top is not powerful enough, leaving much of the smoke to linger into the dining area. I also witnessed that several people walking by on the sidewalk had to walk away from the building to avoid the smoke that actually had been vented. It vents directly onto the sidewalk due to not being able to vent to the roof.

Went there on Saturday and I see why there was so much hype. I got the bulgogi bowl with the kimchi fried rice and the soft boiled egg and it was incredible.
    Definitely agree with people talking about the portion sizes, I'm a fairly big guy and I have at LEAST one full meal of leftovers. That being said, I did not mean that as a complaint, that was a ton of really good food for $12 or $14.
    I liked how the auto-populated tip options at checkout were lowered because it was a order at the counter place, I don't think I have ever seen 5% as an option before.
    Honestly my only complaint was the blaring K-Pop music which was so loud I couldn't hear the person sitting across from me, I think if OSHA walked in they would make the employees wear ear protection haha.

I'm late to the party, but I am in love with this place. The food is so, so good. They have what I'd consider to be the most delicious tofu that I've ever had (of course it's deep fried, so that probably helps). I also really appreciate that they ask if I'm vegetarian and have let me know about various ingredients in different menu items and ask if I'm okay with them. Employees are always super friendly, too. As others have noted, the only complaint I have is the loudness of the music, which makes it difficult to hear the employees while constructing your order. Definitely added to the main rotation for us.

Will be opening a 2nd location in the Edmond Railyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Will be opening a 2nd location in the Edmond Railyard.
    ***Happy dance!!***

24. Default Re: Gogi Go

Great location I have a client opening a concept there

Xian noodle shop now occupies the midtown space

Not sure how long it's been there

Thread Information