Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

Default Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

Johnnie's will be the newest entrant into the Moore burger/pizza/chicken lineup. They will be locating next to Dairy Queen off of Telephone in 2018.

Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

About time!

Do you know if this will be an Express as they have in Norman? Don’t know what the differences are, but just wondering. Either way, happy to hear.

Reported in this morning’s Land Sales in the Oklahoman, Johnnie’s sold their building at 6629 NW Expressway for $1.9 million to HPI JCB OKC LP. Wonder what prompted this? Closing the location, leaseback to free up cash, a great price?

5. Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

JCB? As in Johnnies Charcoal Broiler? Sounds to me like it might have been a somewhat internal deal, perhaps selling to a partner or different operator who intends to continue to operate it as a Johnnie’s? Considering they just sold the West concept maybe they are restructuring their operations, starting to franchise, or something else. Wouldn’t necessarily read that as the end of Johnnie’s in that location, considering the LP’s name.

In addition to hosting a Johnnies, that NW Expressway building is also their corporate offices.

Could be a clever way to purchase dirt tax free for the new store under a 1031.

Plans are out for bid to General Contractors so work should start within a month.

Never been to the express one in Norman but plans don't say anything about express. There are 11 table tops, 9 regular booths, and 2 larger circular booths in the main dining with an additional 4 table tops and 9 table / booth hybrids in a private dinning area that can be divided.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Reported in this morning’s Land Sales in the Oklahoman, Johnnie’s sold their building at 6629 NW Expressway for $1.9 million to HPI JCB OKC LP. Wonder what prompted this? Closing the location, leaseback to free up cash, a great price?
    In regard to this it appears they are splitting the lot to make way for a Quick Service Restaurant and another restaurant (possibly new building for them).

Johnnies.jpg

Sounds like it will be an Express, which is what I prefer and is pretty standard with fast food/quick service. Order your food, pay, and then pick it up when your number is called (or go through the drive-thru).

The Johnnie's on NW Expressway and 240 are weird to me. Go up to counter, order food, and sit down. When your order number is called and you then pay the cashier to get your food. The only "good" thing about these Johnnie's is the more relaxed environment and TV's.

Either way, the wife and I only go on Tuesdays for half price burgers.

Have had some sub-standard (standard was Johnnie's a looooong time ago (never really ate at the Split-T), then Irma's (RIP)) Theta burgers, and Johnnie's isn't as good as it used to be, so they're not an option, but wife started poking around on Yelp about Johnnie's and found this review (and response) in the attached image (it's for the SW 74th location, even though he went to the Edmond one). Absolutely unbelievable, have *never* heard of this kind of policy anywhere, has anybody else? Pretty much guaranteed I will never eat there again, even if somebody else wants to or pays…

Clipboard01.jpg

And related to that - where can I get the most authentic/best Theta burger like it used to be a couple of decades ago? Patty Wagon and S&B and Johnnie's are not it, and not a big fan of the Garage's burgers (the horror, the horror), hopefully someplace else has one (that has Theta hickory sauce, not just BBQ sauce, even though the difference is minor). Someone said Johnnie’s sells their hickory sauce, but nope.

just out of coincidence, around 3 weeks ago i happened to eat at johnnie's for the first time in over a decade. the one on I-240 and walker, in fact. it tasted the same to me as the last thirty-some years... pretty mediocre, imo. I've never been a fan of the shredded cheese they put on their burgers and the meat has always been on the dry side with little flavor besides the "charred" taste. I wouldn't say they're "bad"; I've just always felt there were better tasting options out there.

I did happen to notice the senior prices on the wall and (if memory serves) they were around 20-40 cents off of what they were normally charging... definitely not enough to be worrying about someone taking home a (literal) doggie bag. i will say that the burger prices were pretty reasonable, though... they've crept up far less than similar restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    just out of coincidence, around 3 weeks ago i happened to eat at johnnie's for the first time in over a decade. the one on I-240 and walker, in fact. it tasted the same to me as the last thirty-some years... pretty mediocre, imo. I've never been a fan of the shredded cheese they put on their burgers and the meat has always been on the dry side with little flavor besides the "charred" taste. I wouldn't say they're "bad"; I've just always felt there were better tasting options out there.

I did happen to notice the senior prices on the wall and (if memory serves) they were around 20-40 cents off of what they were normally charging... definitely not enough to be worrying about someone taking home a (literal) doggie bag. i will say that the burger prices were pretty reasonable, though... they've crept up far less than similar restaurants.
    Nice to hear someone else not like the shredded cheese at Johnnie's. Overall, I like Johnnies "okay," but I can't say I'm a *huge* fan. Given a choice, for example, I'll take Garage burgers everytime. But I like Johnnie's fries better than Garage's....

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Nice to hear someone else not like the shredded cheese at Johnnie's. Overall, I like Johnnies "okay," but I can't say I'm a *huge* fan. Given a choice, for example, I'll take Garage burgers everytime. But I like Johnnie's fries better than Garage's....
    I really like the shredded cheese, but the actual burgers are mediocre on their best day. Their onion rings, however, continue to be my favorite onion rings.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I really like the shredded cheese, but the actual burgers are mediocre on their best day. Their onion rings, however, continue to be my favorite onion rings.
    I love the shredded cheese and that is what often times makes me seek their burger out if I am in the mood for a burger.

The cheese is good, and they don't skimp. I like the way they do their Hotdogs too.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    The cheese has always been my favorite part of Johnnie's burgers, but I heard recently (and I have no way to validate this) that they shred Velveeta cheese vs what I assumed was cheddar. That turned me off completely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Have had some sub-standard (standard was Johnnie's a looooong time ago (never really ate at the Split-T), then Irma's (RIP)) Theta burgers, and Johnnie's isn't as good as it used to be, so they're not an option, but wife started poking around on Yelp about Johnnie's and found this review (and response) in the attached image (it's for the SW 74th location, even though he went to the Edmond one). Absolutely unbelievable, have *never* heard of this kind of policy anywhere, has anybody else? Pretty much guaranteed I will never eat there again, even if somebody else wants to or pays…

Clipboard01.jpg

And related to that - where can I get the most authentic/best Theta burger like it used to be a couple of decades ago? Patty Wagon and S&B and Johnnie's are not it, and not a big fan of the Garage's burgers (the horror, the horror), hopefully someplace else has one (that has Theta hickory sauce, not just BBQ sauce, even though the difference is minor). Someone said Johnnie’s sells their hickory sauce, but nope.
    https://johnniesburgers.com/order-johnnies-sauce

There's a link to purchase Johnnies sauce.

I had a Theta at R&J's last Sunday that was pretty good, but I don't think it was "hickory sauce". There aren't too many options out there anymore that offer Comeback sauce / Hickory sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    The cheese has always been my favorite part of Johnnie's burgers, but I heard recently (and I have no way to validate this) that they shred Velveeta cheese vs what I assumed was cheddar. That turned me off completely.
    that's exactly what I've never liked about it... always seemed like shredded velveeta to me.

https://johnniesburgers.com/order-johnnies-sauce

There's a link to purchase Johnnies sauce.

I had a Theta at R&J's last Sunday that was pretty good, but I don't think it was "hickory sauce". There aren't too many options out there anymore that offer Comeback sauce / Hickory sauce.
    Thanks, but with Johnnie's having such a ridiculous policy, I will give them none of my money, ever, for anything. Might have to try it at R&J's, though, been there a few times, but never had a burger there (since burgers are ubiquitous, I've always ordered something that only R&J has), thx for the tip.

Not sure if it can be Velveeta - has anybody ever tried shredding/grating Velveeta? I've tried with cheeses (that are actually cheese, not a "cheese product") that are almost as soft as Velveeta, and it's almost impossible. If Johnnie's does it, though, they may freeze it or something to make it easier to shred/grate.

Even when it gets to room temp, if I'm eating slow that day, it doesn't seem like Velveeta to me. It does not feel coated in cellulose like most packaged shredded cheese.

I like the shredded cheese on the Theta burger.

It's the only burger I get there.

23. Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

If you ask, they will melt the cheese at least.

I believe that it is american cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

Clipboard01.jpg

I can't believe that's an actual policy. How stupid. Count me out.

Thread Information