Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

I don't see a problem with the policy.

I see a problem with the manager and the wait staff not using discretion in applying the policy. But they were just doing their job, even if it lacked using good common sense.

I could see how people would take advantage of the senior discount, go inside and order more food than they can eat, then ask for a doggie bag. The alternative is just don't offer a senior discount.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDollar View Post
    I don't see a problem with the policy.

I see a problem with the manager and the wait staff not using discretion in applying the policy. But they were just doing their job, even if it lacked using good common sense.

I could see how people would take advantage of the senior discount, go inside and order more food than they can eat, then ask for a doggie bag. The alternative is just don't offer a senior discount.
    It's even simpler than that. You make the discount for one meal per person. You don't give the discount to someone who is obviously overloading the perk. What are they going to do with the half-eaten potato the average senior just wants to take home and finish later? They'd rather throw it away and claim some sort of financial righteousness for offering a discount? That's a loser for everyone involved. If they're that strapped, they need to rethink their business model. This is another example of a company that just wants *money*, not *business*.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    It's even simpler than that. You make the discount for one meal per person. You don't give the discount to someone who is obviously overloading the perk. What are they going to do with the half-eaten potato the average senior just wants to take home and finish later? They'd rather throw it away and claim some sort of financial righteousness for offering a discount? That's a loser for everyone involved. If they're that strapped, they need to rethink their business model. This is another example of a company that just wants *money*, not *business*.
    This. The goodwill they lose by having this policy may outweigh the money they save (if they're actually saving any). It's a ridiculous policy and as I said, I've never ever heard of any other restaurant with that policy at any of the hundreds (if not over a thousand) that I've been to here, and in Chicago, Seattle, and lots of other places we've visted.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    yeah, that's what I said, they did not use good common sense in applying the policy.

Management is only at fault, if they don't allow those people to use their discretion.

Outback give a 10% AARP discount to the entire check.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Outback give a 10% AARP discount to the entire check.
    Yeah, and I doubt Seniors taking advantage of this happens far less often than thought. I would bet the pros from increase business far outweighs the number of people who would abuse this. Until of course you accuse grandma and grandpa of stealing food.

7. Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    This. The goodwill they lose by having this policy may outweigh the money they save (if they're actually saving any). It's a ridiculous policy and as I said, I've never ever heard of any other restaurant with that policy at any of the hundreds (if not over a thousand) that I've been to here, and in Chicago, Seattle, and lots of other places we've visted.
    Im not a fan of this policy, either. I can't imagine the number of seniors that might try to take advantage of this policy being too high.

That said, it reminds me of my deceased favorite aunt who used to carry a small tupperware container that collapsed and a ziploc for occasions she couldn't get a carryout box.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yeah, and I doubt Seniors taking advantage of this happens far less often than thought. I would bet the pros from increase business far outweighs the number of people who would abuse this. Until of course you accuse grandma and grandpa of stealing food.
    They gladly give the discount so no way to really abuse it as they include the entire order and they do it on take out also. I don't even think they ask for my card. You are correct the pros in goodwill outweight the cons.

AARP starts at 50 btw. At 53, I am far from grandpa status but will gladly take my 10% when feeding my three teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Im not a fan of this policy, either. I can't imagine the number of seniors that might try to take advantage of this policy being too high.

That said, it reminds me of my deceased favorite aunt who used to carry a small tupperware container that collapsed and a ziploc for occasions she couldn't get a carryout box.
    Ha, that's exactly what I was thinking - just stuff the leftovers into a baggie in your purse from now on, assuming they go back. Be hilarious to see Johnnie's call the cops about seniors stealing food if they do that, and then having to explain the policy, guessing (hopefully) the cops would just shake their head and leave...

Sr discount from 4 to 6 pm is half price weekdays. The wife & I have used it a dozen times at the Yukon Johnnies.

No one here seems to question this senior couple.

Take home a potato skin ? Really ? To feed the dog.

First, I don't feed my dogs that type of food. Second, if its for the dog, why not just wrap the thing up in a napkin ?

I think there was much more going on at that table than we're being told and I bet the manager could provide an entirely different view.

We see restaurants closing all over town constantly, one right after another. Johnny's been in business for forever and don't just hang on, they flourish. I don't think Johnny's needs my advise on how to run their business, they appear to be doing a fine job without my help.

No one here seems to question this senior couple.

Take home a potato skin ? Really ? To feed the dog.

First, I don't feed my dogs that type of food. Second, if its for the dog, why not just wrap the thing up in a napkin ?

I think there was much more going on at that table than we're being told and I bet the manager could provide an entirely different view.

We see restaurants closing all over town constantly, one right after another. Johnny's been in business for forever and don't just hang on, they flourish. I don't think Johnny's needs my advise on how to run their business, they appear to be doing a fine job without my help.
    Really? Just because your dog doesn't eat potato skins doesn't mean somebody else's dog doesn't. And if it had sour cream, chives, butter, and cheese on it, *that's* why she wouldn't just wrap it up in a napkin - would you wrap something like that up in a napkin and put it in your pocket? As far as there being something more going on, why does there need to be that - the manager said *right there in the reply* that's their policy, it doesn't matter what they were doing with their food, that's Johnnie's policy, and it's ridiculous. Ask as many people as you want, anywhere you want and see if you can find a policy like that at any other restaurant, and I'd be that the number would be pretty low, as in zero. Congrats to you if you do find one, though, they have policies just as stupid and unreasonable as Johnnie's.

Not sure about Johnnie's flourishing, their reviews on Yelp aren't great, and I believe they've closed a location or two over the past few years.

I don't take any story I read on social media at face value, especially a tale of grievance. I would certainly want to learn more before I made any purchasing decision.

Now that I am old, I have come to believe that my tastes and digestive abilities have changed, rather than the menu. That Number 1 w/cheese and large Onion Rings I could easily scarf down in my 20s would make me give up after eating half. And leave me balled up on the floor, crying for my dead mommy to take me to the hospital after 3 hours.

I have always had good and honest service at Johnnie's

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

Not sure about Johnnie's flourishing, their reviews on Yelp aren't great, and I believe they've closed a location or two over the past few years.
    Yelp reviews are worthless as a tit on a boar hog.

Only exist for the hopelessly naive.

HangryHippo Guest

You seem like fun.

Bullsh*t. There are plenty of reviews that list everything the person had, what it tasted like, if it was good (subjective, of course), the service, and all the details about their visit. You're not even worth replying or listening to, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about (here and in other threads), done with you, bye.

Last year, I saw the Top Ten barbecue joints in OKC , put together from Yelp Reviews .................... Texas Roadhouse was number one.

Enough said.

But if you want to believe everything you read, have at it.

Re: Johnnie's

I've eaten there a number of times through the years when other people have picked it as a place they wanted to go. I don't get it. It's not bad, but I have never and would never pick it as a place I wanted to go. Too many other places I like better. Food, atmosphere, service, everything. Mileage varies obviously.

^

It's kind of an OKC institution. Especially with the older crowd.

20. Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You seem like fun.
    Just don't feed your dog table scraps ariund him'her.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

It's kind of an OKC institution. Especially with the older crowd.
    I guess I fit older crowd description to a point. I didn’t get it 45 years ago either. I was more picky then than now. Maybe that first impression stuck.

Last year, I saw the Top Ten barbecue joints in OKC , put together from Yelp Reviews .................... Texas Roadhouse was number one.

Enough said.

But if you want to believe everything you read, have at it.
    Actually, I do have to reply to this. I specifically said there are reviews on there that are very detailed in every aspect, which would imply that those are the ones worth reading, so I *don't* believe everything I read on Yelp, because the majority of the reviews on there seem to be "Great food, great service, go there" types, which are completely worthless reviews. I'm not nearly naive (or stupid, really) enough (as you seem to think I am) to believe Texas Roadhouse was the best BBQ place in OKC, that's just an incredible leap for you to make.

Here is where I have an issue, my mom is 80 and when we go for a burger and fries she only eats half of the meal. I would suspect that most seniors fall into that category. So, if that's what happened I would say shame on Johnie's; however, if they ordered an extra meal and wanted to take it home then shame on the guest!

24. Default Re: Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler

Quote Originally Posted by mblues View Post
    Here is where I have an issue, my mom is 80 and when we go for a burger and fries she only eats half of the meal. I would suspect that most seniors fall into that category. So, if that's what happened I would say shame on Johnie's; however, if they ordered an extra meal and wanted to take it home then shame on the guest!
    Theres definitely +s and -s, but way more on the - side. I'd change the policy IMO.

Thread Information