Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Royal Crab (formerly Kwan's Kitchen)

Far North Royal Crab (formerly Kwan's Kitchen)

Still don't know much about this place other than it is the old Fox and Hound space at 3031 W. Memorial and is to be some sort of Asian fusion.

They are spending a lot of money here.

Default Re: Kwan's Kitchen

They are now open and have $8 lunch specials.

A big, elaborate build out and just beautiful space.

Do they have a website in which they have a menu to look at?

From their Twitter account:

They need to update the exterior adding more plants, shrubs, and vines. This is a beautiful remodel and shows how much the game is upping in OKC.

I stopped by tonight and enjoyed it immensely. Interior is great, the staff was very knowledgeable about the menu, and the food was good.

I got the peking duck and the pot stickers
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/QYZXvX9DHXhIwvSD3

If I had to nitpick, heads up the pot stickers apparently take a long time to prepare. The main courses came out quick though. I can't wait to go through the lunch menu with how affordable it is.

IMO: Nothing special. Just a bunch of fufu on the dish to make it look "high class French dish" with the entree meal. Service was a little mixed for us and another couple. A little over priced, but I guess you pay for scenery, fufu, and the word "French" in their naming. Had better duck (not peking duck, but really it's just crispier skin with Chinese steam buns, Hoisin sauce, and veggies) at 23rd and Classen. I would just drive another 15 minutes for that. It comes to down to your taste palette. We would still prefer PF Chang. Is it worth a try? If you're going or you can spare the drive to 23rd and Classen, I would pass this.

Quote Originally Posted by okcwonder View Post
    IMO: Nothing special. Just a bunch of fufu on the dish to make it look "high class French dish" with the entree meal. Service was a little mixed for us and another couple. A little over priced, but I guess you pay for scenery, fufu, and the word "French" in their naming. Had better duck (not peking duck, but really it's just crispier skin with Chinese steam buns, Hoisin sauce, and veggies) at 23rd and Classen. I would just drive another 15 minutes for that. It comes to down to your taste palette. We would still prefer PF Chang. Is it worth a try? If you're going or you can spare the drive to 23rd and Classen, I would pass this.
    What place are you talking about at 23rd & Classen?

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    What place are you talking about at 23rd & Classen?
    I would also like to know this, could he be talking about Hy palace the mega buffet? I must say you lose a little cred when you say you’d prefer P.F. Chang’s.

13. Default Re: Kwan's Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    I must say you lose a little cred when you say you’d prefer P.F. Chang’s.
    Yeah... That was the moment I knew I wasn't reading a review from an actual food critic.

It's kind of like when someone compares other BBQ to Rib Crib for me.

It'd be hilarious if he was referring to Fung's kitchen.

15. Default Re: Kwan's Kitchen

right. ... same owner/chef.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

16. Default Re: Kwan's Kitchen

but then again, Fung's is in Asia district whereas Kwan's is in memorial - completely different audience and (possibly) expectation between the two.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The only difference between the duck at Kwans and the duck at Fungs is that there are no bones in the one at Kwans.

This is my opinion of course and I sure hope I can voice my opinion?!??
    Golden Phoenix have ducks and other bbq items. I never said they have peking duck, just better duck IMO. Grand House serves peking duck, but don't know where they gets their ducks from or if it's done back of kitchen.
    I never told anyone to not eat there because of our experience/taste of food. I just said that we prefer PF Chang for Chinese food as a nearby destination(I didn't say authentic Chinese). If you have time to spare and drive to 23rd and Classen, I would go there over eating at this location. Otherwise give this a try or eat at other Chinese restaurant near by.

Wow. doing it big.

I am hesitant to make this post as I feel bad leaving a negative review. I am only doing so in the hopes that this feedback might find it's way to the owners to create positive change. Me and three of my co-workers ate lunch at Kwan's earlier this week. The service was poor and the food was average.

The awkward experience began as the hostess meandered around the restaurant while talking out loud as to where our foursome should be seated. She stopped in her tracks, nearly causing us to run into one another, to point out that they had a bar. She then waffled between several tables which were open. She was talking out loud, but not to any of us, as to where the best table would be. She proceeded to walk us to a table in the back corner of the restaurant, where we were seated and given menus. It was.... strange. The waiter was similarly awkward. He had a comment about everyone's drink order. The over-the-top talkativeness of our waiter reached a point of discomfort. We ordered our food, which was admittedly well-priced for the area. However, the food took forever to arrive even though the restaurant was maybe 30% full. Also, the sides/appetizers came out literally 1 minute before the entrees. (We didn't ask for the sides to come out as appetizers, but followed the waiter's suggestion to have them out first) The food was okay at best. It would have been better had it been served hot. I ordered the Beijing Beef and enjoyed it more than my co-workers. They ordered the lettuce wraps and were unimpressed.

The interior is beautifully done and it's obvious they paid attention to detail. It's a shame the service and food seem to be taking a second chair to the effort given to the atmosphere. As a former waiter and bartender, it was a painful meal to sit through. The whole experience lasted almost an hour, and the co-workers made it clear they didn't care to return.

Unrelated, it seemed that every other patron was a retiree or in assisted living. Who knows?

I have been into Kwan's twice and I agree with the comments of aDark made above. The first time I came in, I dealt with the same hostess. I still feel this is a restaurant that is working out the kinks, and since I come in and sit at the bar for lunch, I am willing to go and try another dish or two for lunch before pulling it from my lunch rotation. I do feel their lunch prices are hard to beat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kwan1.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	14710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kwan2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	14711
    I went last night and loved it, the place is beautiful on the inside- complete with an underfoot koi pond as you walk in.
    Wait staff and manager(owner?) were extremely kind and the latter offered to show me around after I complimented the interior- the first picture is of the event space upstairs which overlooks the lobby/koi pond.
    Prices are extremely reasonable, I had champagne sweet and sour chicken which was amazing for $14 and a Kwan's exclusive Vanessa House beer for $4.
    I would recommend this place to anyone, only complaint is I didn't really like the fried rice.

24. Default Re: Kwan's Kitchen

What's exclusive about Vanessa House beer? $4 isn't a bad price for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    What's exclusive about Vanessa House beer? $4 isn't a bad price for it though.
    I think he's saying that Vanessa House brews a beer just for sale at Kwan's Kitchen.

It's called Kwan's Special Brew and made with lemongrass and ginger (according to the VH FB page)

Thread Information