Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Royal Crab (formerly Kwan's Kitchen)

1. Default Re: Kwan's Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think he's saying that Vanessa House brews a beer just for sale at Kwan's Kitchen.

It's called Kwan's Special Brew and made with lemongrass and ginger (according to the VH FB page)
    Ah, I see. Nice!

Default Re: Kwan's Kitchen

I forgot to mention at least a couple of weeks ago, they do offer dim sum on Saturday and Sunday.

My wife and I tried the Dim Sum today and it was excellent. Although Grand House has a handful of Dim Sum offerings that I prefer over Kwan's, for the most part, Kwan's is better.

We arrived as they opened at 10:00 and were told it would be 10-15 minutes before the food was ready but less than five minutes later they were bringing out food. My wife said the chicken feet were excellent, we both really liked the Shumai and the BBQ pork buns and I liked the fried shrimp ball and fried crab balls. We ordered several other things and all were good to excellent. The only weak spot was the tea. We ordered Oolong and Jasmine and both were rather weak.

We are very pleased to have a really good Dim Sum restaurant close by.

I asked the waitress if they get busy on weekends and she said Saturdays are steady but Sundays are extremely busy.

If you like Dim Sum and are in the area, I highly recommend Kwan's Kitchen.

We ate here a few weeks back after church on a Sunday. We came specifically for the Dim Sum. The inside is very nice and they sat us in the bar area. Overall the food was good although they were missing several items we've become accustomed to at Grand House. They weren't busy at all and I felt like they kept coming around with the same carts and not putting anything new on them. We also ordered chicken fried rice from the kitchen which we didn't get until we were almost done. I was going to tell them to forget it and then it came out. When adding up all of the stamps plus the rice the bill should have been about $55 but somehow it became $85 when they ran my card. They couldn't explain the difference or find my original card but they said that's what it was. We won't be back.

We've been there once for dim sum and overall had a good experience. We typically rotate between Grand House and Fung's due to proximity, but we will be back here again soon. Based on their IG, they've continued to add items to their dim sum menu, as it was pretty small when we went. It is much easier to get a table here during the busy hours vs. GH or Fung's.

The owner is the same guy that does Fungs. Should be of Fungs quality, no?

7. Default Re: Kwan's Kitchen

Depends more on the chef than the owner.

BTW, Fung's is old-school Cantonese dim sum. Kwan's seems to be more modern/fusion which might not be as good but is targeted at a more affluent/young audience/market.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I noticed this place closed when I drove by last night. How long has it been closed?

Quote Originally Posted by rizzo View Post
    I noticed this place closed when I drove by last night. How long has it been closed?
    For months now.

We were at Fung's this weekend and my wife asked the owner if they might re-open Kwan's and her only response was to apologize for Kwan's closing. Kwan's is very close to our house and their dim sum, overall, was actually better than Fungs' so we are really hoping it re-opens and still has dim sum.

I'm not surprised this closed. I went 3-4 times for dim sum and a few other times for dinner. The restaurant was beautiful, but service was never great, especially when it came to dim sum. We always had to order stuff off the menu and the frequency of the carts making the rounds was painfully slow when compared to places like Fung's and Grand House.

At least one manager and maybe some of Kwan's staff is over Masa Sushi on Memorial just east of Western Ave., across from Szechuan Bistro.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    At least one manager and maybe some of Kwan's staff is over Masa Sushi on Memorial just east of Western Ave., across from Szechuan Bistro.
    I just drove by masa. People were lined up outside waiting

Quote Originally Posted by rizzo View Post
    I just drove by masa. People were lined up outside waiting
    Last night was the same. I believe they have some kind of "free food" promotion going on.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Last night was the same. I believe they have some kind of "free food" promotion going on.
    That's good to know. When I went I recall liking the variety offered of sushi and ramen. The broth wasn't particularly flavorful and the noodles were overcooked. The portions of the ramen were very generous though. Going back, I plan to get the chirashi bowl

Anyone order any sushi lately at Masa?

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Anyone order any sushi lately at Masa?
    We ordered sushi a few weeks ago. The Memorial roll was good and I don't remember the other roll we ordered but it was just OK. The tuna and tamago nigiri were good. The eel was just so-so.

We'll definately go back.

Masa Sushi is owned by the Szechuan Bistro folks (right across the street) and I think Szechuan Bistro is a really good place to eat so I suspect Masa Sushi will be good as well.
    C. T.

19. Default Re: Kwan's Kitchen

The building has a new “Coming Soon” sign. Something Crab. I was in the left lane and got blocked before I could read the name.

Googling Kwan's Kitchen's address, shows a place called Royal Crab.

Quote Originally Posted by marky_d View Post
    Googling Kwan's Kitchen's address, shows a place called Royal Crab.
    I saw a liquor license notice for this place not so long ago in the D.O.

Default Re: Royal Crab (formerly Kwan's Kitchen)

Very close to opening.

Opens Monday, March 9th.

Their sign says "Cajun Seafood" but their very large menu is mostly Chinese, although they also have hibachi items:

https://royalcrab.wixsite.com/73134?...ivYLPr_mBzdox0

Same owners or new team??

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Same owners or new team??
    Maybe the team from Krewe Cuisine on NW 23rd is trying to make a play for the far North OKC crowd.
    Seriously though, "Cajun Chinese" is certainly a way to cut a new path in the restaurant industry...

Thread Information