Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Earthquake Discussion

Default 2017 Earthquake Discussion

LOL, the 4.2 in magnitude earthquake only semi-woke me up this morning. While groggily sensing the distant rumbling noise and light shaking sensation, I told myself just go back to sleep, and I'll check on the Internet when I wake up to see if it was a real quake, rather than dreaming it.

Experts seem concerned that these stronger quakes are a sign of more to come. I hope not. When nearby earthquakes go over 5.0 in magnitude, they are really scary for sure then and not a joking matter. The hot spots for earthquakes quite near my town, Stillwater, remain settled down for now. Just the loud noise from a 2.5 magnitude earthquake centered in or near the Stillwater city limits can be rudely frightening.

http://www.news9.com/story/35891181/...er-near-stroud

Scientists are working to determine what caused six earthquakes near Stroud Friday morning. The cluster started with a 4.2 magnitude earthquake, and five more quickly followed nearby.

While many of Oklahoma’s earthquakes have been linked to wastewater disposal into the earth's crust, researchers still have yet to discover how long it takes the faults to react to water pressure, so this cluster could point to additional events in the future.

Now, a feverish accumulation of data is underway at the Oklahoma Corporation Commission and Oklahoma Geological Survey to map and analyze a nearly straight line of earthquakes from northwest to southeast.

“We have no mapped faults around that event,” notes OCC spokesman Matt Skinner.

OGS seismologists say the cluster reveals a previously unknown vertical fault halfway between Stroud and Cushing. The first quake rumbled about five miles under the earth's surface, with the subsequent quakes growing weaker and shallower along the line.

A mapped presentation of Oklahoma earthquakes from last 7 days: http://stillwaterweather.com/okareaearthquakes.php

Default Re: 2017 Earthquake Discussion

I had to have a look and was surprised that nobody posted about activity last night and this morning around Edmond. I felt one right before 10:00 pm last night, and was awakened at about 2:20am. Both times were a quick muffled boom and rattle of decorative items in the house. Almost like just someone bumping into a wall.

Felt one at 36th/May right about midnight, first one we've felt there since we moved in about 10 months ago, but didn't feel the other two you mentioned.

Just felt one here in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    Just felt one here in Edmond.
    Is that what that was? I thought I felt a really big 'crash' here at my office. It didn't have any of that long low rumble afterward. But if you felt it too I guess it was!!

Felt my floors shake with that one

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    I was laying in bed upstairs watching tv and the bed was shaking pretty good. Biggest one in a while.

Just had pictures fall off my wall here at NW Expressway & Classen.

As Fred Norman would say... Shake Rattle and Roll!!!!

USGS is saying 4.4 so there will be some damage. Basically I35 and Danforth.

Power outages in east and northeast Edmond. Yikes.

That was the largest I've ever felt. Like a bomb went off

I'm a few miles from the epicenter. I thought the corner of my house was going to fall in on me. I'll check for damage in the morning.

Wow, I didn't feel this one!

The 4.2M quake was downgraded to 4.2M. Might as well hope the OKC area quakes don't venture past 5.0M. I was around 25 miles from the record breaking 5.8 Pawnee quake about a year ago. It's been the only earthquake that really frightened me bad. I had never felt such rapid shaking and never been through one lasting so long, about 20 seconds. I think it put cracks in some of the bricks of my house.

Farmers is no longer offering earthquake insurance in Oklahoma, or at least in part of it. I wonder if that company was worried that the earthquakes in Oklahoma are going to get worse.

The 1:40am one made me jump.

19. Default Re: 2017 Earthquake Discussion

These temblors can stop already. I wanted to leave these behind when I left CA! Sleeping has been rough last two nights. Seismic exhaustion.

Definitely felt that one!

That one just now was very noticeable up here in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    The 4.2M quake was downgraded to 4.2M. Might as well hope the OKC area quakes don't venture past 5.0M. I was around 25 miles from the record breaking 5.8 Pawnee quake about a year ago. It's been the only earthquake that really frightened me bad. I had never felt such rapid shaking and never been through one lasting so long, about 20 seconds. I think it put cracks in some of the bricks of my house.

Farmers is no longer offering earthquake insurance in Oklahoma, or at least in part of it. I wonder if that company was worried that the earthquakes in Oklahoma are going to get worse.
    They were suffering huge losses, not from the quakes themselves but having to call a structural engineer after someone filed a claim. They were charging $300/year on average and the engineer costs $2,000 if someone files a claim. Losses mounted quick. Your agent should have a surplus lines they can tap.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That one just now was very noticeable up here in Edmond.
    Yeah, talk about making me jump out of my seat at work. Not fun when I think about being on the first floor of a 4 story building!

We just had another pretty big shake. Felt it at Target at Penn and Memorial while shopping!

Over by Memorial & Santa Fe, in our shop. We have lots of noise, vibrations and booms from machinery and trucks, so if I felt it, I didn't know it.

Thread Information