Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bar Arbolada

Default Re: Bar Arbolada

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    I'm probably a bit of a cheapskate but I don't ever tip 20% if i'm just out for drinks and I'm sitting at the bar. Usually 10%, unless the service is really good. Last place I can think of where I was happy to tip large for sitting at the bar was Scratch.

Just out of curiosity, what expectation did you receive that you were supposed to tip 20%? Was there gratuity (I didn't see that in your post) or a sign or something? Or just saying because that's your baseline you felt like you should? I guess I don't understand how there was an expectation of a certain tip level made upon you.

No expectation. Based on question, I called one of the bartenders I know that works in the craft cocktail industry in OKC. His response was interesting as he said the norm is 10-12%. That lead to a discussion about generational tipping. His response was that people in my generation (I turn 52 tomorrow) generally tip 20% but people in his generation (late 20's) generally tip 10%. He said his older patrons tip better.

I used to work in the industry (server, bartender and manager) and am still connected with the industry with some ownership interests so my tip standard is 20% I have been blessed with a good living and thus, I usually start at 20% for my standard. I can afford the extra few dollars and it can make the difference to someone else once they add it up over multiple tips that shift. The same reason I bought breakfast for the homeless guy this weekend counting out his change to see if he had enough to order a sausage biscuit and tip hotel housekeepers. I also tend to tip higher at lower end places (waffle house, diners) where the servers are busting their ass for low tips as their per person averages aren't that high.

That being said...it pisses me off when Sonic rings up my son's chili tots as the more expensive chili cheese tots minus cheese instead of the less expensive tots plus chili

First time back in Arbolada since pandemic, service and decor still 10/10. It's like a lovely Spanish beachside bar. Tap selection is a downside but overall, so happy they are still there.

I need to go back here. I keep forgetting about it, but I was a fan of it before the pandemic.

Best burgers in town, too. Now a permanent addition to the menu, not just a hipster surprise after 10 p.m. on Saturday nights.

Tastes like what a mcdonalds burger should taste like. Shares the same ingredients. Wish it had vegetables.

I'm late seeing this and surprised it wasn't posted here already:

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/statu...uNoDhll7A&s=19

Alton Brown said Bar Arbolada had the best double cheeseburger in America.

7. Default Re: Bar Arbolada

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I'm late seeing this and surprised it wasn't posted here already:

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/statu...uNoDhll7A&s=19

Alton Brown said Bar Arbolada had the best double cheeseburger in America.
    It's been discussed here. It's a solid burger, but not even the best in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    It's been discussed here. It's a solid burger, but not even the best in OKC.
    Sorry, couldn't find it in any relevant threads before posting or even now knowing the conversation apparently exists having difficulty find it.

9. Default Re: Bar Arbolada

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Sorry, couldn't find it in any relevant threads before posting or even now knowing the conversation apparently exists having difficulty find it.
    Yeah, I can't even remember where it was discussed.

They will be serving the burger and more at the Flycatcher Club (same operator), soon to open at NW 2nd & Klein next to Fair Weather Friend Brewery:

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...61#post1186061

Thread Information