Widgets Magazine

Thread: Biking to Work

Default Biking to Work

Do any of you do this? Any tips? Do you wear your work clothes or shower at the office? How far is your commute?

Default Re: Biking to Work

I bike commute almost every day. I have a short commute (2 miles) and I come into downtown from the north, so it is mostly downhill on the way into the office. As such I don't get very sweaty so I just wear my work clothes.

Before you start commuting definitely ride your route on a Saturday or Sunday morning when there is very low traffic to get a feel for it.

I have a bike with a rear rack to carry my work stuff/laptop in a pannier. I do carry around a change kit for my tires. I've only gotten one flat in 4 years of bike commuting, but on that day I was VERY glad I carried the kit.

Bike to work everyday with a backpack, but it's less than a mile.

What bike does each of you ride?

5. Default Re: Biking to Work

I rode to work most of the time I worked at the Kerr-McGee Tech Center at 150th & Portland. I’m lived near 39th and May. It was about 9 miles with the route I took. I pretty much time trialed almost every day so I was a sweaty mess. We had a locker room and shower. I had 24/7 access to the building so I took fresh clothes and got the clothes to be laundered on weekends. I rode a Vitus, a Cannondale and a Klein, all road bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Took a picture just for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9279.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	4.07 MB 
ID:	14145

Thanks

Prior to changing jobs I biked to work from the Classen Ten Penn neighborhood (closer to Penn) to downtown OKC. It was a breeze, and gave me a boost of energy for the rest of the day. I highly recommend it. I no longer spent the first 20 minutes of work sipping coffee and getting mentally prepared for the day. With the bike ride, I had already achieved that state and was ready to get after it.

As to clothes, I am a lawyer and am expected to be in a suit and tie every day. As such, I would ride to work in gym clothes and then visit the downtown YMCA for a shower and change there. On very nice days I would ride in my work clothes as much of my ride was downhill. As for the bike, I bought a used Felt V100, as I wanted disc brakes and enough clearance for larger tires for future gravel riding. It was ideal for the commute as it sat upright and made riding in a suit jacket semi-comfortable. The only "issue" I could never resolve was how to ride to work in my dress clothes and avoid helmet hair.

Good luck! I miss riding to work a lot!!

http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/details/uptown-8

I ride a dedicated commuter bike. It has a rack, built-in generator and rear and head lights, a chain gaurd (keeps your work pants and shoelaces from getting sucked into the greasy chain), and a bell (helpful for alerting pedestrians). I love having a commuter bike, but it is much slower than the road bike I usually ride.

Great looking bike Dr.

I biked to work every day when I worked in Auto Alley. It was less than a mile so I never built up much of a sweat, but I always loved it. I got an old wine crate from broadway wine merchants and put on the back

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Great looking bike Dr.
    Ha ha. Thanks! My dad is a big triathlete in the state. If you're a triathlete in Oklahoma then you've probably run into him. He's started a number of races and organizations over the years. Anyway, if I tell him that I need a new bike, he always finds me a good deal.

Completed my first morning commute. 7 miles and loved it. I might be signing a different tune in the middle of winter or summer, but today, it was awesome.

Completed my first morning commute. 7 miles and loved it. I might be signing a different tune in the middle of winter or summer, but today, it was awesome.
    Love to hear your updates on how it goes. Seven miles is a decent distance. Are you showering at work? Any other changes to your schedule?

I've generally found biking to work such a peaceful experience. It just allows you time to slow down before starting your day. It's amazing how much more you notice about your surrounding environment on a bike as opposed to a car.

I am showering at work but it hasn't really changed my schedule much since I am just deferring that part of my schedule. I had to leave 20 minutes earlier than usual to account for increased time.

DId you have any trouble with traffic? I've been told to get out of the road a few times while riding. Cars don't know how to act around bikes yet

I was riding at around 6:30 so there weren't very many people on the road. No issues this morning.

Check out this cool bike for winter and cold conditions:

I would go to Wal-Mart on the podride. It won't be for sale until mid 2021. Price not yet set.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    DId you have any trouble with traffic? I've been told to get out of the road a few times while riding. Cars don't know how to act around bikes yet
    So I try to drive on the sidewalks. But you gotta be watchful of cars wanting to turn into curb cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Check out this cool bike for winter and cold conditions:

I would ride one, if I wasn't 6'4" and 265 lbs

Thread Information