Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I-35 in Edmond

1. Default I-35 in Edmond

From ODOT:

"I-35 narrows at US-77/SH-66/Second St. in Edmond beginning Monday
    I-35 will be narrowed between US-77/SH-66/Second St. (mm 141) in Edmond and N.E. 122nd St. (mm 137) beginning Monday, Sept. 25, for pavement rehabilitation through summer 2018. Motorists are strongly encouraged to plan for an alternate route. Drivers can expect intermittent ramp closures and the following lane closures:

The right lane of southbound I-35 will be closed between 33rd St. in Edmond and N.E. 122nd St. from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly Monday, Sept. 25, through Friday, Sept. 29;
    The right lane of northbound I-35 will be closed between 33rd St. and US-77/Second St. from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly Monday, Oct. 2, through Friday, Oct. 6; and
    Additionally, motorists can expect I-35 to be narrowed to one lane on weekends starting in mid-November."

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=35944

This is extremely poor planning/timing by ODOT. They are closing lanes and doing construction on I-35 now? While Broadway Ext'n is under a major rebuild? And Hwy 74 still isn't finished north of Kilpatrick Tnkp?

Default Re: I-35 in Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    From ODOT:

"I-35 narrows at US-77/SH-66/Second St. in Edmond beginning Monday
    I-35 will be narrowed between US-77/SH-66/Second St. (mm 141) in Edmond and N.E. 122nd St. (mm 137) beginning Monday, Sept. 25, for pavement rehabilitation through summer 2018. Motorists are strongly encouraged to plan for an alternate route. Drivers can expect intermittent ramp closures and the following lane closures:

The right lane of southbound I-35 will be closed between 33rd St. in Edmond and N.E. 122nd St. from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly Monday, Sept. 25, through Friday, Sept. 29;
    The right lane of northbound I-35 will be closed between 33rd St. and US-77/Second St. from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly Monday, Oct. 2, through Friday, Oct. 6; and
    Additionally, motorists can expect I-35 to be narrowed to one lane on weekends starting in mid-November."

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=35944

This is extremely poor planning/timing by ODOT. They are closing lanes and doing construction on I-35 now? While Broadway Ext'n is under a major rebuild? And Hwy 74 still isn't finished north of Kilpatrick Tnkp?
    You seem cool. Come live downtown.

3. Default Re: I-35 in Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    You seem cool. Come live downtown.
    I actually was one of the first new downtown residents at the very beginning of the downtown renaissance. I was one of the first residents in the Deep Deuce apartments; the complex as a whole wasn't even finished when I moved in. I lived and worked downtown. Now I don't live or work downtown; I don't have kids in school there; my church isn't downtown. It just doesn't make sense for me to live downtown. But make no mistake about my love of downtown and urban environments. I think we need a transportation system that makes sense and construction on it needs to make sense. But I guess not many people accuse our State government (of which ODOT is a part) of making much sense these last few years.

I found out about this awhile back. I really don't understand it. I drive I-35 every day, the pavement in this location is not that bad, no reason to be doing it now with I-235 torn up. Further, the pavement between I-44 and I-40 on I-35 is in much worse shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I found out about this awhile back. I really don't understand it. I drive I-35 every day, the pavement in this location is not that bad, no reason to be doing it now with I-235 torn up. Further, the pavement between I-44 and I-40 on I-35 is in much worse shape.
    You must be smoking the crack that I constantly hit between 2nd and Memorial Road in all lanes of north and southbound traffic. Granted they're not over every squate inch but by god, you can't dodge 'em! Bout time they've taken steps to smooth this portion or I-35.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    You must be smoking the crack that I constantly hit between 2nd and Memorial Road in all lanes of north and southbound traffic. Granted they're not over every squate inch but by god, you can't dodge 'em! Bout time they've taken steps to smooth this portion or I-35.
    Might want to avoid driving on the shoulder . I've been trying to notice it being bad since I found out about this, just don't see it and I've driven it daily in four different cars plus here and there is others. It is concrete though, and concrete will never be as smooth as new asphalt, especially concrete that was installed before they started using dowels.

Yeah, I gotta tell ya, there are holes all over the place AND not just the shoulders! ;-)

They came in and did a dowel bar retrofit a while back where they cut slots at each concrete joint, place titanium dowel bars into the slots, fill in the slots, then plane it smooth. This prevents each slab from shifting. What I've see in this stretch are large cracks as well as places where the material used to fill in the slots has popped out. You may not feel the cracks as they tend to run parallel to the path of your vehicle; however, the pavement is in overall poor shape. Besides, the lane closures are all in the evening and overnight periods.

Here is an example of what I was talking about:

Better to fix it now than to wait until the slabs fail.

10. Default Re: I-35 in Edmond

Did you see that it's only for a week, and at night? I mean seriously, is it that big of a deal? We've got 240 down to 2 lanes in east bound for how many months for all hours and all days. And it's the most congested piece of the interchange.

I think poor Edmond can survive a one lane nightly closure for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Did you see that it's only for a week, and at night? I mean seriously, is it that big of a deal? We've got 240 down to 2 lanes in east bound for how many months for all hours and all days. And it's the most congested piece of the interchange.

I think poor Edmond can survive a one lane nightly closure for a week.
    The work will last until the summer of 2018.

After mid-November, there could be only be one lane open on weekends.

If you've seen the similar work on I-40 in West OKC, you'd know that traffic would often back up for miles, even at night and on weekends.

This is a big deal if you use I-35 in that area, especially given the huge amount of through traffic that interstate receives.

Any one know what is going on with this project? They didn't finish the South Bound lanes and the work they did do on them is at a lower standard the North Bound lanes. But now all the equipment is gone and nothing has happened for weeks.

For those who are good at research, please find out the contractor/company who did Hefner Parkway south of Memorial Road to Northwest Expressway/I-44. The same contractor should proceed with any future OKC/ODOT road projects.

Without a doubt, the smoothest, widest, and best kept FREE road in all of Oklahoma City. I've lived here for 15 years and can not recall one time that stretch needed major repair or construction. It was constructed with concrete instead of asphalt, and the results speak for itself. Despite being heavily traveled daily for those who work and live in Northwest OKC, the road has held its ground and has required the least amount of maintenance (IMO) of all the highways/freeways in OKC. Why can't future projects be constructed in the same manner with quality that last longer and more than likely saves money in the long run. I'm not sure why they didn't continue the trend with widening north of Memorial to 206th/Covell.

As for I-35 it receives not only traffic from Edmond/Guthrie/Stillwater coming into the city, but I'll echo what others have said in that is a major corridor with travelers and trucks from San Antonio all they way to Minneapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    For those who are good at research, please find out the contractor/company who did Hefner Parkway south of Memorial Road to Northwest Expressway/I-44. The same contractor should proceed with any future OKC/ODOT road projects.

Without a doubt, the smoothest, widest, and best kept FREE road in all of Oklahoma City. I've lived here for 15 years and can not recall one time that stretch needed major repair or construction. It was constructed with concrete instead of asphalt, and the results speak for itself. Despite being heavily traveled daily for those who work and live in Northwest OKC, the road has held its ground and has required the least amount of maintenance (IMO) of all the highways/freeways in OKC. Why can't future projects be constructed in the same manner with quality that last longer and more than likely saves money in the long run. I'm not sure why they didn't continue the trend with widening north of Memorial to 206th/Covell.

As for I-35 it receives not only traffic from Edmond/Guthrie/Stillwater coming into the city, but I'll echo what others have said in that is a major corridor with travelers and trucks from San Antonio all they way to Minneapolis.
    The reason Hefner Parkway is holding up much better is the substantially lower amount of heavy trucks and the improved paving section that was utilized there. There was much better funding when it was constructed compared to the timeframe when I-35 was constructed through Edmond.

The new concrete panels they have poured are AWFUL. They are about a half inch higher than the rest of the roadway and they aren’t smoothed out like you’d expect for a freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The new concrete panels they have poured are AWFUL. They are about a half inch higher than the rest of the roadway and they aren’t smoothed out like you’d expect for a freeway.
    Southbound isn’t done yet*. The scrappers are still there they are just working a little south of the Turnpike right now. North is done and it’s just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Southbound isn’t done yet*. The scrappers are still there they are just working a little south of the Turnpike right now. North is done and it’s just fine.
    Ah. I was not aware that they stil had work to do to those panels.

On I-40 west of the Amarillo junction, they did the same thing. They dug up the roadway and placed pre-poured concrete panels down. They quit for a while in the winter / early spring but then came back and ground the road smooth. Then they put a layer of asphalt down, re-stripped and now is way better than before. They still need to put a finish to the bridges but it's excellent. I presume the same process will happen on this project ???

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I haven't seen evidence of work in a few weeks. There are also two new panels that have tire tracks in them that are deeper than the grinder will take off. The SB side seems like they ran out of money/time and just rushed it.

I did see them working on the concrete scrap today.

NB is mostly good, but you can still feel a few of the most northern panels even though they've been ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I haven't seen evidence of work in a few weeks. There are also two new panels that have tire tracks in them that are deeper than the grinder will take off. The SB side seems like they ran out of money/time and just rushed it.

I did see them working on the concrete scrap today.

NB is mostly good, but you can still feel a few of the most northern panels even though they've been ground.
    Oh well I guess you’re 100% right and hey just packed up and left cause you haven’t seen them in a few weeks. Surety bonds don’t exist then I suppose.

21. Default Re: I-35 in Edmond

Chill up there guys. They'll finish the project, it just may take longer than you want. I-40 west of I-44 out to Meridian was a pile of bumpy crap for months because they couldn't get it finished before winter, and it took until June to get back to it. They even ended up putting asphalt on top so its easier to grind off and resurface easier next time. But it all is work to make the actual road last longer. Think how much of a pain it would be if they pulled up the whole roadbed and started from scratch. I'm pretty sure the temporarily bumpy road is the better option here.

I get it, i was really annoyed about I-40. But all i had to do was email ODOT and ASK (not just gripe) and they responded in a few days with what the plan/timeline was. So if you are interested, just send them a polite email asking about what the final timeline is and what that will entail. When I emailed them, my main complaint was that the "repairs" made the surface worse than the road was before the work and that since they had painted lines on the road, it felt like they were saying they were done and that concerned me. Then the person that replied went into some detail about the whole project plan, which was very nice.

There has been a couple signs out near I35 & I44 saying that construction will start on Sept 16th. I can't find anything on the ODOT website. Anybody have any ideas what's gonna happen & how long it will last?

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    There has been a couple signs out near I35 & I44 saying that construction will start on Sept 16th. I can't find anything on the ODOT website. Anybody have any ideas what's gonna happen & how long it will last?
    "Bridges and approaches over Deep Fork Creek from NE 50th to N.E. 63rd in Oklahoma City. Winter '19-'20. Sherwood Const. $29 million."

http://okdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vi...3a62119e5eb7ed

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    "Bridges and approaches over Deep Fork Creek from NE 50th to N.E. 63rd in Oklahoma City. Winter '19-'20. Sherwood Const. $29 million."

http://okdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vi...3a62119e5eb7ed
    Thank you so much!

geezus, 1 year to resurface 4 miles of road... pathetic. Bush league ODOT allows this crap to happen

Thread Information