Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boren Retiring?

Default Boren Retiring?

Strong rumors swirling from multiple sources that David Boren will tomorrow announce his retirement as President of the University of Oklahoma.

I haven't been able to independently confirm this but it sounds pretty solid.

No word on a possible successor but like with Coach Stoops, someone may have already been hand-picked.

I know athletic director Joe Castiglione would be considered.

Default Re: Boren Retiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Strong rumors swirling from multiple sources that David Boren will tomorrow announce his retirement as President of the University of Oklahoma.

I haven't been able to independently confirm this but it sounds pretty solid.

No word on a possible successor but like with Coach Stoops, someone may have already been hand-picked.

I first heard this rumor several months ago when someone I would consider credible told me Boren was planning to step down and run for governor.

My understanding is the successor has been hand-picked and it's likely going to be Joseph Harroz, the Dean of OU Law School.

Well, at least as of tonight they're denying it.

https://twitter.com/jesserpound/stat...27962058264576

interesting... if (and i think this would be a pretty big if!) castiglione were chosen as next university president, it wouldn't surprise me if stoops took over as athletic director.

Blog Entries

I think many in the know would be surprised if it wasn't Joe Harroz

Switzer for President?

8. Default Re: Boren Retiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    interesting... if (and i think this would be a pretty big if!) castiglione were chosen as next university president, it wouldn't surprise me if stoops took over as athletic director.
    That's masking the assumption that Stoops would want to do that. That job is very busy and if you're retiring, i dont think making your schedule worse than it ever was, would be attractive. It's not as though he needs the money. But I have found it interesting that he isn't doing ANYTHING yet. Normally, when someone retires from coaching, they pick up a commentary job or some other random thin to keep in things. So from that perspective, if he's been in on it for some time now, then it would explain why so many unusual things fell when they did.

He will announce it today at 2 pm.

Apparently he will officially retire at the end of the academic year, which likely rules out the rumored run for governor.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    He will announce it today at 2 pm.

Apparently he will officially retire at the end of the academic year, which likely rules out the rumored run for governor.
    Any idea if they'll announce a successor?

11. Default Re: Boren Retiring?

Ya got the email about his announcement today at 2pm. I have a feeling he will wait to announce a successor but I guarantee he will hand pick one.

Any idea if they'll announce a successor?
    I don't believe so, but I wouldn't rule it out. I believe the plan is to have OU spend the rest of the year celebrating Boren and his accomplishments while they conduct a search for his successor. Ultimately, I believe, it will lead to Harroz.

13. Default Re: Boren Retiring?

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I don't believe so, but I wouldn't rule it out. I believe the plan is to have OU spend the rest of the year celebrating Boren and his accomplishments while they conduct a search for his successor. Ultimately, I believe, it will lead to Harroz.
    Harroz is young and has the credentials. I would just find it tough to follow Boren.

I hope it is Harroz. He is a fantastic leader and has made a substantial impact on OU College of Law. I think it's a good fit all around.

FWIW, I had lunch a month or two ago with someone that has connections to the university on several levels. I was told then that the regents wanted Dave to retire, post heart attack. Interestingly at the time it was told to me that one or two regents were putting out feelers to Frank Keating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Interestingly at the time it was told to me that one or two regents were putting out feelers to Frank Keating.
    Please no. Keating would be a terrible pick for the university.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Please no. Keating would be a terrible pick for the university.
    May I ask why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    May I ask why ?
    Probably too republican lol

I would prefer they pick someone younger. Keeting is 73, only 3 years younger than Boren.

20. Default Re: Boren Retiring?

I'll share some rumors.

Rumor is the board of regents wants someone outside of Boren's choices. They launched a nationwide campaign a while back and have some people in mind. This is causing some Deans to leave OU for fear a big change might occur.

All this is rumor.

We've seen the diminishing returns of a politician-as-university-president model in the last 6-8 years in this state. David Boren will go down in history as one of the state's all-time great leaders and even he couldn't get the state government to support public higher ed effectively toward the end of his tenure. (You could argue that it would've been worse without President Boren at the helm.) For a University now ranked in the top 100 nationally, I have no doubt any search for a replacement will be national in scope and done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    May I ask why ?
    Yes, he doesn't have the right disposition to lead a university in my opinion. You have to get along with people from a lot of different backgrounds at large universities and they expect you to support them. Keating has a history of being devisive, dismissive, hyperpartisan, and will insult groups without even trying to understand their position. Go back and look at the comments he made about teachers. He called them "slugs" and suggested "homicide" would be the best way to address teachers' union concerns. He called Tulsans "very dumb" for not electing his wife. He made comments like these multiple times over the years. University presidents' need to be inclusive and know how to get along with others. You can certainly be a Republican and do all these things, but you can't be exclusionary on social issues. You don't want a president who is constantly bumping heads with the faculty Senate, who are a strong force in universities. It can become a real distraction and prevent the university from doing the work it needs to do.

23. Default Re: Boren Retiring?

You can watch live here:

http://ondemand.ou.edu/

Blog Entries

Keating has no loyalty to education or passion for it.

Blog Entries

And frankly, given that republicans in this state repeatedly disrespect the value of education, as well as deny science as a whole, should be enough to disqualifying them.

Thread Information