Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    You are asking for info that no one on this planet can provide. Anywhere. Seriously, state-specific? Only the DMV would have that, and they don't keep weight, just registration.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...electric-cars/

For this purpose, the weight difference by state is irrelevant. If an EV weighs more in California or Texas, then it does in Kentucky or Georgia, as well. So if a car weighs more, it's impact on the road is conceivably going to be higher, regardless of where.

So no, not irrelevant.

The amount they decided to charge maybe up for debate, but finding average car weight by state may be the dumbest thing I have ever seen asked for.
    First of all the weight qualifier was brought up by April to justify EV's paying more than ice for road usage.
    The tax is state specific so the type of vehicles this state specific tax is based on should be based on the vehicles that are registered in that state. I would be willing to bet that vehicle type and configuration is different in Texas than Georgia, Kentucky, or California on average. Also I would bet that Texas has heavier vehicles that are ice than other states that have more sedans than trucks.

2. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

I think the Texas methodology makes about as much sense as they could. Without tracking all car miles you have to start somewhere.

To determine the amount that these gasoline and flexible fuel-run vehicles pay in fuel taxes for each mile driven, the following assumptions are made to determine the estimated calculation. First, the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Bureau of Transportation Statistics estimates that in 2018, the average miles traveled per vehicle for all light duty vehicles in the United States was 11,484 miles. Additionally, the most recent data available by the same federal agency states that in 2017, the average fuel efficiency for a light duty vehicle in the United States was 22.3 miles per gallon.

If the 11,484 average miles traveled per vehicle for all light duty vehicles in the United States is divided by 22.3 miles per gallon of gasoline, it can be determined that the average light duty vehicle needs a total of 514.98 gallons of gasoline a year. To determine what that means in gasoline tax revenue, 514.98 gallons of gasoline need to be multiplied by the Texas state gasoline tax rate of $0.20 a gallon. This calculation determines that the average light duty vehicle pays an average of nearly $103 in state gasoline tax revenue per vehicle.59 If 514.98 gallons of gasoline is multiplied by the federal tax rate of $0.184, the average light duty vehicle pays an average of $94.76 in federal gasoline tax revenue per vehicle.60 It is worth noting, that Texas does not receive an equal return in gasoline taxes submitted to the federal government, but for purposes of analysis, we will assume a 100% return on federal gasoline taxes to the state

If it is all about the weight, why don't we come up with a yearly "road tax" based on the weight of the vehicle driven and eliminate gas tax?

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    If it is all about the weight, why don't we come up with a yearly "road tax" based on the weight of the vehicle driven and eliminate gas tax?
    If its also based on miles driven than sure. There has to be some kind of consumption component to it.

I don't think 300 dollars is that bad compared to the cost savings you get from not having to pay for gas. Plus, electric car owners are going to be statistically wealthier than non electric car owners. As more and more people go electric it's becomes increasingly difficult to raise that tax. The current gas tax isn't enough to pay for decent roads, but it is extremely difficult to touch that tax.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    If its also based on miles driven than sure. There has to be some kind of consumption component to it.

I don't think 300 dollars is that bad compared to the cost savings you get from not having to pay for gas. Plus, electric car owners are going to be statistically wealthier than non electric car owners. As more and more people go electric it's becomes increasingly difficult to raise that tax. The current gas tax isn't enough to pay for decent roads, but it is extremely difficult to touch that tax.
    I thought the whole point of TX doing the EV tax is because they cannot tax miles driven vis-a-vis the gas tax?

But that could be easily remedied by using Weight and Odometer.

Just happened to notice there is a Tesla Supercharger to the north of the recent Homeland at NE 36th and Lincoln. With the service center (assume you can charge there....) and I-40, that makes three in the metro area. Every time I drive by I-40, there are more and more cars charging.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    I thought the whole point of TX doing the EV tax is because they cannot tax miles driven vis-a-vis the gas tax?

But that could be easily remedied by using Weight and Odometer.
    And they do state inspections where they get odometer readings..

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    Just happened to notice there is a Tesla Supercharger to the north of the recent Homeland at NE 36th and Lincoln. With the service center (assume you can charge there....) and I-40, that makes three in the metro area. Every time I drive by I-40, there are more and more cars charging.
    I saw a list that I did not verify that said OKC is I believe 3rd fastest EV growing city by % growth right now. It's been great to see all the Teslas on the roads these last couple years. I probably see 5+ every single time I drive now. Once you've driven one its almost impossible to want to drive anything else for similar price.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    Oh sweet! I somehow didn't even know about this one, but it is way closer to my place than the Outlet mall should I need one.

Anecdotally, I feel like I have been seeing way more Teslas around town since we got ours a few months ago, although it may just be confirmation bias. We bought during the big sale on existing inventory, which, combined with the federal tax credit made it financially reasonable, so I assume many others did the same. But I feel like I now see multiple Teslas around town each time I drive which I don't remember seeing them before.

10. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Finally got my F 150 Lightning last month (almost 2 years after I first reserved it) and am loving it. It's the perfect vehicle for what I need, plus it's really fun to drive!

11. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Finally got my F 150 Lightning last month (almost 2 years after I first reserved it) and am loving it. It's the perfect vehicle for what I need, plus it's really fun to drive!
    Congrats! Can you share a pic?

12. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Congrats! Can you share a pic?
    I couldn't get a picture of mine to upload, but it looks like this, but with better wheels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dims.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	18474

13. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Looks a heck of a lot better than most of the new trucks on the road. All of the aggro tough guy stuff is getting tiresome.

Blog Entries

Looks a heck of a lot better than most of the new trucks on the road. All of the aggro tough guy stuff is getting tiresome.
    Are you talking about the ones you can’t see around , or the ones that stick out 3 feet past the parking spot? The ones that never see a ranch or a farm? The ones that never have anything in the bed (except golf clubs)?. Lol

15. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

^^^^^
    Yes.

i think ford knocked it out of the park with the lightning by using the f-150 platform... i'm surprised that chevy didn't take the same strategy with their electrified silverado.

17. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

^^^^^
    Yes.
    Pickupophobic!

Flying J Truck stops among others are opening new fast charging stations: https://www.autoblog.com/2023/12/06/...ns-ev-opening/

Flying J has several planned in Oklahoma: https://www.pilotflyingj.com/ev-char...902.1701900787

All right, I just bought a Tesla model s plaid and a mach e and I can now say electric cars f@cking suck unless you’re strictly driving them in the city. Other than that they’re a scam.

Bullsh!t I’m still at EvGo after f@cking around with ChargePoint directly from the FordPass app. F@ck this sh!t and my Tesla isn’t much better. I’d kill these people if I could get away with it.

ETA 100% charge 10:36 AM Sunday. Goddamnit

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    All right, I just bought a Tesla model s plaid and a mach e and I can now say electric cars f@cking suck unless you’re strictly driving them in the city. Other than that they’re a scam.
    Did you just spend at least $140,000 on two (?!) EVs without a plan for use or a basic understanding of different levels of charging?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Like everything, this is a persoal opinion, my daughter drives a Tesla model s and loves it, no problems with performance or charging. She lives in Edmond and works in Norman

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Like everything, this is a persoal opinion, my daughter drives a Tesla model s and loves it, no problems with performance or charging. She lives in Edmond and works in Norman
    That commute. Woof.

Thread Information