Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    May I have a link supporting this? It's not that I don't believe you. A cursory search indicated to me that the only BMWs over 100k is their Alpina line, and for Mercedes its either a higher end S-Class or the Maybach.
    http://www.barrons.com/articles/tesl...ice-1504281072

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    In the over 100k luxury auto segment, already Tesla captured the top spot when it comes to market share, kicking stalwarts like BMW and Mercedes in the nuts while they sat by complacent in their perceived dominance. Of course, now those two companies and the rest of the industry are in catch up mode, arguably with greater resources and more industry experience...
    Other than being north of 100k, Tesla S is not a full sized luxury car. The model S in size and appointments is closer to a mid sized luxury car. It is closer in size to a BMW 5 series than it is to a 7 series. Same with MB. The Tesla is closer to an E series than an S series. As far as the pricing goes, if you include the federal tax credit as well as any available state credits, the pricing is closer to a mid size luxury than full size.

Rivian (electric truck maker) went public yesterday and its market cap is already bigger than Ford or GM.

They have started producing trucks that are getting rave reviews.

Besides Telsa, Rivian and Lucid are coming hot out of the gate with excellent, somewhat ground-breaking products.

Will be very interesting to see if the traditional carmakers can keep up as the world switches to electricity in the next 10-20 years. The new Ford Mustang is promising, so that's a good sign.

Great news! Eventually, there will be enough supply to lower the prices. Just my thinking out loud, since I want to get an electric car soon!

5. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Rivian (electric truck maker) went public yesterday and its market cap is already bigger than Ford or GM.

They have started producing trucks that are getting rave reviews.

Besides Telsa, Rivian and Lucid are coming hot out of the gate with excellent, somewhat ground-breaking products.

Will be very interesting to see if the traditional carmakers can keep up as the world switches to electricity in the next 10-20 years. The new Ford Mustang is promising, so that's a good sign.
    The F-150 Lightning will sell like hot cakes. Ford was smart going with the truck as the other electric vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    The F-150 Lightning will sell like hot cakes. Ford was smart going with the truck as the other electric vehicle.
    I think that's right. As someone who powers my home with solar, I have a 300 lb. 10kWh battery in my garage. The F-150 sports bi-directional charging in that its battery would serve as part of my battery array when hooked up. It's an impressive 90kWh.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I think that's right. As someone who powers my home with solar, I have a 300 lb. 10kWh battery in my garage. The F-150 sports bi-directional charging in that its battery would serve as part of my battery array when hooked up. It's an impressive 90kWh.
    oh wow... i hadn't thought of that... that's a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Ford is on the right path. They sold out of electric crate motors.

Ford Eluminator e-crate motor sells out in days - Roadshow
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...s-out-in-days/

What’s interesting is all of the electric vehicles that will soon be built in this region. Tesla will have a factory outside Austin, Rivian will have one outside Ft Worth and Ford will have one outside Memphis. Canoo has one planned for Pryor hopefully they can make that happen especially with all of the growth in this industry. I do think Oklahoma is well-positioned to benefit with its location and manufacturing workforce.

10. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Curious, have you had the occasion when the electricity goes out and the battery kicks in, how long does it last?

Classen Curve is going to install several Rivian (very highly regarded electric truck company) charging stations.

I suspect this also means that Rivian will be doing some sort of showroom in Classen Curve.

https://rivian.com/

Ford has taken away the option to reserve the F-150 lightning. They have 200,000+ reservations which means if you wanted one, you're now waiting years to get it.

But this whole thing'll blow over, right?

Ford has taken away the option to reserve the F-150 lightning. They have 200,000+ reservations which means if you wanted one, you're now waiting years to get it.

But this whole thing'll blow over, right?
    Who are you talking to?

In general I’m not the biggest fan of government regulation but I will say this is one of those things that I think the government should step in and save it if you build an electric car charger it needs to be a universal standard so anybody can charge their car even if it’s not a Rivian.

Blog Entries

Most electric car chargers have fall-backs to standard plugs that work but are just slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    In general I’m not the biggest fan of government regulation but I will say this is one of those things that I think the government should step in and save it if you build an electric car charger it needs to be a universal standard so anybody can charge their car even if it’s not a Rivian.
    It might have something to do with who or what is paying for these. If it's Amazon I could see the Rivian plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    m
    I agree. Imagine if every auto-maker had their own dimensions for fuel nozzles. Your Toyota could only be filled up at Toyota nozzles which only Conoco has.

Should definitely be a standard; or in lieu of that adapters available that aren’t several hundreds of dollars. But really a universal port is the best way. We use them on aircraft. Every aircraft from every manufacturer uses the same power receptacle. A 1970 US built 737 uses the same 115volt 400 Hz receptacle as an Airbus A321 that rolled off the line in France 2 days ago.

https://denvergov.org/Government/Age...ikes#section-2

The City of Denver is offering up to $1200 per person in rebates for residents who purchase an ebike. II love this approach of incentivizing individual citizens to incite desired change. City of OKC should take note!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    https://denvergov.org/Government/Age...ikes#section-2

The City of Denver is offering up to $1200 per person in rebates for residents who purchase an ebike. II love this approach of incentivizing individual citizens to incite desired change. City of OKC should take note!
    You probably already know this, but both the Federal and OK governments give fairly decent tax credits for buying an electric vehicle, as well as installing charging stations/buying chargers.

^^^ does it include ebikes?

21. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

^^^ does it include ebikes?
    The approved list is all 4 wheelers

Then that's why this move from the City of Denver is so noteworthy. Monetarily incentivizing citizens to make choices that are healthier for the city seems like a pretty great idea. Much better than forcing change or taxing the hell out of drivers (even though that approach would still help to an extent, it disproportionally effects poorer residents).

We are going to have to change our approach to city planning sooner or later so kudos to Denver for taking a step in a promising direction.

Then that's why this move from the City of Denver is so noteworthy. Monetarily incentivizing citizens to make choices that are healthier for the city seems like a pretty great idea. Much better than forcing change or taxing the hell out of drivers (even though that approach would still help to an extent, it disproportionally effects poorer residents).

We are going to have to change our approach to city planning sooner or later so kudos to Denver for taking a step in a promising direction.
    So you think people are going to give up cars for a $1200 incentive to get an e-bike? I'm not so sure about that. I'm going to get $7500 back (tax credit) from the federal gov't and $5500 back (tax credit) from the state gov't for purchasing a $30K electric car, not sure why more people wouldn't go *that* route than replace a car with an e-bike. And if you replace a regular bicycle with an e-bike, you'd actually be contributing to climate change instead of trying to fix it, lol....

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    You probably already know this, but both the Federal and OK governments give fairly decent tax credits for buying an electric vehicle, as well as installing charging stations/buying chargers.
    I'm having trouble finding the information on the OK tax credit for buying an electric vehicle. Where is this info?

25. Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    So you think people are going to give up cars for a $1200 incentive to get an e-bike? I'm not so sure about that. I'm going to get $7500 back (tax credit) from the federal gov't and $5500 back (tax credit) from the state gov't for purchasing a $30K electric car, not sure why more people wouldn't go *that* route than replace a car with an e-bike. And if you replace a regular bicycle with an e-bike, you'd actually be contributing to climate change instead of trying to fix it, lol....
    But, owning an e-bike AND a car - even an electric one - aren’t mutually exclusive. And even if you only like the e-bike enough to replace SOME of your trips in a car…there is carbon benefit AND an exercise/public health benefit.

Thread Information