Widgets Magazine

Thread: Azteca Mexican Grill

Default Azteca Mexican Grill

Banner on front lawn and guys repainting the San Marcos building on NW 40th/May. Anybody know if it's just a rebranding of San Marcos or a new restaurant?

Default Re: Azteca Mexican Grill replacing San Marcos - NW 40th/May

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Banner on front lawn and guys repainting the San Marcos building on NW 40th/May. Anybody know if it's just a rebranding of San Marcos or a new restaurant?
    Just called and found they are closed for remodeling and the recording said they reopen the second week of September.

It sounds like this is a new operation not related to the other San Marcos locations.

Tried them today as they were on our way to stores we had to go to. Completely average Tex-Mex, with a few exceptions - their spicy salsa is very similar to Casa Perico's, the sauce on the tamales had a hint of cinnamon in it, and the chicken in the fajitas was the best-seasoned/spiced we've ever had. Nice remodel job, and cool plates/stoneware that they use, but it's all not enough to keep us going back.

4. Default Re: Azteca Mexican Grill replacing San Marcos - NW 40th/May

Tried them today as they were on our way to stores we had to go to. Completely average Tex-Mex, with a few exceptions - their spicy salsa is very similar to Casa Perico's, the sauce on the tamales had a hint of cinnamon in it, and the chicken in the fajitas was the best-seasoned/spiced we've ever had. Nice remodel job, and cool plates/stoneware that they use, but it's all not enough to keep us going back.

We were in the area Friday and they were very busy. We might have to give it a try some evening.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    We were in the area Friday and they were very busy. We might have to give it a try some evening.
    We were across the street yesterday morning and what they were cooking sure smelled good. Was that always a San Marcos? I used to eat there about 20 years ago but I don't remember if it was San Marcos then.

I live nearby and finally tried Azteca Mexican Grill.

They have done a nice job of updating the old San Marcos space as everything looks clean and bright. The bathrooms seem to be completely remodeled and I suspect they did a fair amount of work in the kitchen as well.

Like Casa Perico, you can request complimentary hot salsa and as you can see the nearly empty bowl closest to my plate below, I absolutely devoured it. A bit spicy and served warm it was very good, as were the fresh and salty chips. Even the queso was above average with a bit of taste and not at all watery.

You can also see the Dos XX Amber I ordered with salt and lime and in very frosty goblet. Hard to do that any better.

For an entree I had the chile relleno with shredded beef which came with rice and beans. I dumped some of that spicy salsa on the top and went to work. I finished every morsel and while the dish wasn't fantastic, it was plenty good. I look forward to trying their street and crispy taco as they looked really good they went by.

A bunch of nice little touches, like nice stonewear and they even give you a small plate with the chips and salsa. Also extra napkins on the table.

The entire staff was smiling, friendly and prompt. Best service I've had in a place like this. In fact the cook came out as I was leaving and they were all just so incredibly nice.

If you like this type of food, please give Azteca a try. The people are just so great and the food is plenty good... They deserve your business.

Been getting very good reviews on Yelp.

I hope people will give them a try not only because it is very good, but because the family that runs it is incredibly sweet.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/azteca-mexi...a+Mexican+Food

I finally went in and will defiantely be back. Great service and good food. they really did a great job with the place it seems refreshed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Been getting very good reviews on Yelp.

I hope people will give them a try not only because it is very good, but because the family that runs it is incredibly sweet.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/azteca-mexi...a+Mexican+Food
    Maybe neither me (tamales, I believe) nor the wife (chicken fajitas) thought much of them, we thought it was quite lacking in flavor and completely average (except the chicken fajita meat, which was the best we've had), yet you say it's very good. We like Abel's more than almost any other Tex/Okie-Mex restaurant here, and I know you like/recommend Abel's too, Pete, so I'm wondering why our opinions are so different about this place?

Default Re: Azteca Mexican Grill

Last time I ate at Abel's I was really disappointed; same with Casa Perico.

This will be my new go-to Okie-Mex place.

Last time I ate at Abel's I was really disappointed; same with Casa Perico.

This will be my new go-to Okie-Mex place.
    Fair enough, felt the same when we ate at Casa Perico, haven't been to Abel's in a while, might be in for a letdown there , thx.

Last time I ate at Abel's I was really disappointed.
    Ugh this is sad to hear. My girlfriend and I ordered some Abel's through Postmates a couple weeks ago (she had never had it before) and we were both very underwhelmed - was hoping it was just a Postmates issue.

13. Default Azteca Mexican Grill

Has anyone eaten at Azteca Mexican Grill? We absolutely love it. The food is great and the family that run it are so friendly.
    http://www.aztecamexicangrillok.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    Has anyone eaten at Azteca Mexican Grill? We absolutely love it. The food is great and the family that run it are so friendly.
    http://www.aztecamexicangrillok.com/index.html
    I've been half a dozen times. The ownership is outstanding with their hospitality. However, I get better and less expensive guisado at Rosario, Taqueria Durango, and Casa de la Abuela, Tried their Costillas de Cerdo (pork ribs) and Brocheta Azteca (kabobs) and both were pretty well dried out and either overcooked or cooked too fast. It's close by, so I will still go there on occasion, but there are better options if you're a discerning fan of Latin fare.

Maybe neither me (tamales, I believe) nor the wife (chicken fajitas) thought much of them, we thought it was quite lacking in flavor and completely average (except the chicken fajita meat, which was the best we've had), yet you say it's very good. We like Abel's more than almost any other Tex/Okie-Mex restaurant here, and I know you like/recommend Abel's too, Pete, so I'm wondering why our opinions are so different about this place?
    I've had the tamales a few times and thought they were pretty good- they are made in-house which a lot of places don't do. The salsa especial here is also just about the same as the San Marcos (can't find any salsa especials I like more than this one). We used to live right by here and have been a half dozen or so times and each has been very good. Abels is still our go to but Azteca is very good. As mentioned the couple who runs it is also very sweet and hospitable!

Just the nicest people in the world.

They seem to do good business and I've enjoyed my meals there.

Just the nicest people in the world.

They seem to do good business and I've enjoyed my meals there.
    it is really good ... even though it is outside my normal range i make a point to go there ..

Tried it a couple of times, wanted to like it since it's less than 5 minutes from us, but seems like completely average Tex-Mex, with the exception of the chicken fajita meat, which my wife loved. For standard Tex-Mex, we go to Armando's instead.

Had dinner there last night and had a great experience.

The people could not be more friendly or attentive and the food was solid as usual.

Decent crowd for a Monday night.

Thread Information