Widgets Magazine

Thread: El Patron Supermercado

Default El Patron Supermercado

Does anyone in here know anything about this business that is going in at Hefner and Penn where the Buy For Less used to be? If it is what I think it may be I'm REALLY looking forward to its opening.

Default Re: El Patron Supermercado

What do you think it might be?

3. Default Re: El Patron Supermercado

Tequila Super Store

I think the concept is a huge Latino grocery store combined with some sort of deli or restaurant where you can get some of what they sell pre-made. I've been to a couple of the local "mercados" and thought they were great. Lots of variety, ingredients that you just can't find elsewhere and an incredible produce section. All at astoundingly good prices. Buy For Less used to have some pretty good "ethnic" sections, but they didn't carry over to the new Uptown location. If you aren't a Hobby Cook this probably doesn't mean much to you. But I am. So it does. =~)

5. Default Re: El Patron Supermercado

You nailed it... I live walking distance from one of the Morelo's Super Mercado and I shop there a lot for all the reasons you mentioned.

A lot of activity at this place over the past few months but over about the past two weeks; nothing. The lights are off and all of the contractors' vehicles are gone. As of yesterday afternoon it looked abandoned. Maybe the store has been completed but I would think there would be at least some minimal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I think the concept is a huge Latino grocery store combined with some sort of deli or restaurant where you can get some of what they sell pre-made. I've been to a couple of the local "mercados" and thought they were great. Lots of variety, ingredients that you just can't find elsewhere and an incredible produce section. All at astoundingly good prices. Buy For Less used to have some pretty good "ethnic" sections, but they didn't carry over to the new Uptown location. If you aren't a Hobby Cook this probably doesn't mean much to you. But I am. So it does. =~)
    That would be interesting. I thought there was a story here about what it was becoming and what the concept was. If it is something like you describe, I'd definitely check it out. I just never was attracted to that Buy For Less as it always seemed a little sketchy, much like the former Homeland at 122nd/May.

Drove by El Patron SuperMercado again, last night. (before the storms and flooding). The parking lot was deserted. Yet the Cool Sign remains. Perhaps the El Patron Family (located in Fla?) has put together an informal OKC focus group in order to determine if genuine interest exists in the direction of a SuperMercado?

On the other hand, perhaps they are weighing the costs of a new parking lot? My wife mentioned to me that--a few years ago--she asked an acting manager of the former Buy For Less (now UptownGrocery--just across the street from what is now Homeland, at the "sketchy" location in question) when they were going to fix the parking lot. the manager replied, "What's wrong with the parking lot?" She thought that was funny. She is never wrong.

At least it only took three years for The Cassidy Square location of 1492 to finally open. So there is still hope.

Did I misspell Casady?

For the Local Fanning the Flames File:
    While attempting to do a Photo Cap of an improperly parked dump trunk and red corvette covertable immediatelly adjacent to what used to be Buy For Less (with a badly paved parking lot) I flashed some hand singles at the driver of the Chevy. He pulled over. I gave the Universal signal for "Well? WTF?" He said "I bought it ALL" with a smile. I hollered at him: Gracias, Amigo, De Veras, con Confianza Vaya con Dios. Amen? with a smile and nothing other than good intentions.

Work at El Padron Supermercado appears to be proceeding apace. Many hard workers and just the right amount of vehicles. The "Help Wanted/Now Hiring" signs have not yet appeared nor have any of the trucks bringing the consumables to fill the shelves.

Thread Information