Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Joe's Crab Shack in Warr Acres

1. Default Re: Joe's Crab Shack? Bankruptcy, sudden closures?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Also there's another seafood boil place opening where Bonchon was.
    Wait, there was a Bonchon in Okc, as in the Korean chain?

Default Re: Joe's Crab Shack? Bankruptcy, sudden closures?

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Wait, there was a Bonchon in Okc, as in the Korean chain?
    For about 2 months, then it quickly closed.

Local franchisee.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    I would say please be a GOOD Cajun restaurant, but I'm so satisfied with Cajun King that I really don't see where improvement could happen. Crawfish Pot is basically "across the street", but they didn't really hit it across the plate. They have meat pies though, so they have that going for them.
    Agreed. Crawfish pot is very limited on what they offer. Would be nice to have a cajun place similar to Brent's in Edmond.

Cajun King at 63rd & MacArthur is absolutely fantastic with tons of items on their buffet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Cajun King at 63rd & MacArthur is absolutely fantastic with tons of items on their buffet.
    We need to try it again. We ate there 3-4 years ago and thought it was overpriced and the buffet was mainly fried food and a lot of empty pans on the buffet (it was busy so may have had hard time keeping up). I think Brent's is the best in the city right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    We need to try it again. We ate there 3-4 years ago and thought it was overpriced and the buffet was mainly fried food and a lot of empty pans on the buffet (it was busy so may have had hard time keeping up).
    This is how we felt about Cajun King. Wife really hasn’t wanted to try it since then; shame because we live really close.

If you want to avoid the fried food, you can still leave full. The jambalaya is EXCELLENT, as are the collard greens. The etouffee has a wonderful flavor. If you go on the weekend, go ahead and get a little fried food...the boudin balls are worth it. As difficult as it is, save some room for the bread pudding...and when I say save some room, I mean you will go back for seconds on the bread pudding.

In my opinion Cajun King is a good place to go for working folks at lunchtime. I personally wasn't thrilled with their food. I did like the choices and some things were really good and some were average at best. Again, my opinion. There are several places that serve better food. The Shack, C'est Ci Bon Catfish and Poboys, Brett's and Trapper's is pretty good too. If I was still working though, Cajun King would be on my rotation. A lot of food for a reasonable price.
    C. T.

9. Default Re: Joe's Crab Shack? Bankruptcy, sudden closures?

For about 2 months, then it quickly closed.

Local franchisee.
    Living in the Phils I find myself frequenting that store much more than I should haha. Too bad they closed it was something different for the okc market and not half bad.

The only thing I really liked at Cajun King was the fish served aside from the buffet.

Drove by yesterday and they have started demo on Joe's Crab Shack.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    The only thing I really liked at Cajun King was the fish served aside from the buffet.
    You should try it again. I think almost everything is excellent and it's received largely rave reviews.

Northwest OKC Re: Joe's Crab Shack? Bankruptcy, sudden closures?

I noticed demo on this location myself (as I drive by it during my commute). Anyone have insight into what they are making room for? Or is this clearing simply to make the land more attractive for a prospective buyer?

14. Default Re: Joe's Crab Shack? Bankruptcy, sudden closures?

Quote Originally Posted by erasmusred View Post
    I noticed demo on this location myself (as I drive by it during my commute). Anyone have insight into what they are making room for? Or is this clearing simply to make the land more attractive for a prospective buyer?
    Check post #47

You should try it again. I think almost everything is excellent and it's received largely rave reviews.
    On your word, I will =)

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Check post #47
    Apologies, I hadn't seen it before I asked.

Default Re: Old Joe's Crab Shack in Warr Acres

Dental offices to fill former Joe’s Crab Shack site

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record January 11, 2018

WARR ACRES – David Evans took over Jerry Miller’s pediatric dentist office in 2012. In the last five years, Evans has had to hire a second dentist, Stephen Gray, to help meet demand at Pediatric Dental OKC.

Gray helped with the patient load, but now there needs to be more space for the two doctors.

Evans and Gray’s practice is off the 39th Expressway, at NW 50th Street. They searched for an existing space, but didn’t find anything that fit their needs.

They found a closed pawnshop on Northwest Expressway that could be demolished. In June, Evans Equities LLC purchased the site for $1.7 million.

Red Prairie Design Group architect Patrick Bumpas had designed a two-story, 18,000-square-foot office building to fit the former pawnshop site. Construction documents were drawn.

But a few months later, Price Edwards Retail Investment Team broker Paul Ravencraft approached Evans with another land option. The former site of Joe’s Crab Shack, 5940 Northwest Expressway, was for sale, and it would offer a view of trees and a creek. Evans purchased the site in a matter of days, Ravencraft said. He paid $1.6 million for it in December.

Bumpas had to change his drawings a bit to fit the new site, he said. But the building’s overall design remained nearly the same. Changing the plan after construction documents have been created is a rare occurrence, he said.

Bumpas also did a master site plan for Evans so he’ll have a better idea of what to do with the pawnshop site.

The office building will sit where the former Joe’s Crab Shack once stood, putting the building closer to the waterway. It will have a large, glass curtain wall on the west so patients can see outside.

“(Evans) had seen other facilities similar to this practice that benefited from curves, with a lot of glass and openness so the patients can enjoy a view while they’re there,” he said. “He hadn’t been able to take advantage of that with his other offices.”

Pediatric Dental OKC will take the entire second floor. Bumpas designed the space to accommodate families, with a stair-step area for television viewing and getting homework done. He said Evans requested a space where siblings and parents would feel comfortable while waiting on the patient.

The interior finishes will consist of warm, wood finishes, and pops of bright colors. The surfaces will be sterile, but won’t have the typical white-on-white hospital look.

“That helps with the patient experience,” Bumpas said.

The first floor will be leased by an orthodontic practice. There will be 3,000 square feet available for lease. The building is owned by Western Charm LLC, of which Evans is a partner.

Lingo Construction will make Bumpas’ plan a reality. President Stan Lingo said he doesn’t foresee any challenges with the site. He was involved with the project first, and then brought in Bumpas.

“We’re excited to do work with a new client,” Lingo said. “We do other work in Warr Acres, so we’re excited to work in that community as well.”

Evans said he expects his practice will move into the new building in November.

“We’re excited to be staying in Warr Acres,” Evans said. “We hope to be there for decades to come. We want to continue to take care of a lot of children.

“That area of town needs a little attention. We’re excited to bring this to that southwest corner.”

Holy cow, that is a lot of money.

I should have been a pediatric dentist!

Blog Entries

The Joe's crab shack at I-240 and Penn has a construction fence around it and a couple of storage containers on the side. Anyone know what may be going on there? They have been there for several months, and I don't see any exterior renovations.

Quote Originally Posted by BLJR View Post
    The Joe's crab shack at I-240 and Penn has a construction fence around it and a couple of storage containers on the side. Anyone know what may be going on there? They have been there for several months, and I don't see any exterior renovations.
    Del Taco.

There is still a huge area to the west owned by the same group that is just a vacant lot.

any idea what's going on with the land directly east to this building? it was a pawn shop but then it was razed and the land sat empty for a couple of years. some structure going up today with some dirt moving over the past week

Quote Originally Posted by taha View Post
    any idea what's going on with the land directly east to this building? it was a pawn shop but then it was razed and the land sat empty for a couple of years. some structure going up today with some dirt moving over the past week
    Scooters coffee

You sure it's not a Braum's

some equipment on the land directly east to scooter, i believe what you used to be the old pawn shop. ripping out the old concrete slab that was in. any idea what it could be? thanks in advance

Thread Information