Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Joe's Crab Shack in Warr Acres

1. Default Re: Joe's Crab Shack? Bankruptcy, sudden closures?

Quote Originally Posted by BLJR View Post
    Chili's, Outback, and TX Roadhouse are the 3 top national chains at our house. I know there are a ton of local options here in OKC, and we have several of those on our rotation, but do you all think that the Blue Apron and similar companies are having an impact?
    Blue Apron is about to go out of business. So, no.

Blue Apron Stock Is Now Cheaper Than a Blue Apron Meal

Default Re: Joe's Crab Shack? Bankruptcy, sudden closures?

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Of all the national chain restaurants I drive past on the daily, Chilis seems to be doing the best. This is based on a simple observation of the parking lot.
    I remember when Chilis was awesome, haven't step foot in one in over 5 years.

3. Default Re: Joe's Crab Shack? Bankruptcy, sudden closures?

Chile's is still good. They change their menu and have periodic short term items. Its just my personal preference but the only thing I've found I dont like is their queso.

I visit Chili's occasionally. I really like their Crispy Honey Chipotle Chicken Crispers with their loaded mashed potatoes.

Chili's has the best chips and salsa, don't @ me (or whatever the kids say these days lol)

Seriously though, I refuse to step foot in most big national chains unless I'm forced to. With the exception of an occasional Chili's vist.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I visit Chili's occasionally. I really like their Crispy Honey Chipotle Chicken Crispers with their loaded mashed potatoes.
    Those honey chipotle crispers are my favorite, too, but I'll have to try their loaded mashed taters next time. I usually just go with fries and the corn cob.

As for Joe's, we went occasionally because my better half enjoys it, but lately it hasn't really been often. I don't think I'll miss it much.

8. Default Re: Joe's Crab Shack? Bankruptcy, sudden closures?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Really?

I read something a few years ago about how they were struggling and I wasn't a bit surprised to read that.

CNN Money: People really love eating at Olive Garden

But, then there is this (circa 2014)......

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    That is an excellent choice.

I do enjoy Chili's... they have improved their fajitas and that's what I get there.

http://www.papercitymag.com/culture/...uction/#113616

Some story behind this, Fertita just schooled some fools

Quote Originally Posted by BLJR View Post
    Chili's, Outback, and TX Roadhouse are the 3 top national chains at our house. I know there are a ton of local options here in OKC, and we have several of those on our rotation, but do you all think that the Blue Apron and similar companies are having an impact?
    The Texas Roadhouse on I240 has been crazy busy since it opened years ago.

13. Default Re: Joe's Crab Shack? Bankruptcy, sudden closures?

The last time I went to Joe's Crabshack was three years ago. The table was sticky, the floors were sticky, and the menus were sticky. It was like someone put sugar water in their cleaning solutions. Combine that with mediocre, half-hearted service and I haven't been back since.

One of my big complaint about these chains is that people on a low sodium diet have issues finding anything on their menus that one can order. I went to Olive Garden with a group from church. I found only salmon. They said that they could make that for me with a low sodium content. Ok I ordered it. What i got was a laughable size of salmon. It was maybe all of 2 " x 2" with 3 small pieces of asparagus on the plate. They were maybe an inch long. Basically just the heads. All this for $12.95. I could have eaten that in 2 bites.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    I've never seen a Texas Roadhouse that isn't crazy busy. Those rolls are just completely insane. And I don't even really like white bread.

16. Default Re: Joe's Crab Shack? Bankruptcy, sudden closures?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Memorial often has an hour wait on weekends. And the whole lobby, area between the bar and lobby and
    outside are jammed with people willing to wait that long. Crazy busy is right.

18. Default Re: Joe's Crab Shack? Bankruptcy, sudden closures?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It does explain a lot of Applebees problems. We started out to watch the OU vs Aurburn playoff game two years ago. About an hour and a half before game time. Garage?, standing room only. Twin Peaks and Pub W?, weren't letting anymore in the door. Applebees?. Got two seats at the bar right in front of the biggest TV in the house. Could have called 10 friends and had them sit at the bar too. I never got busy. When we decided to get food they gave us 3 menus. An old one, one that they were changing to and one of current specials. I don't like too much of a menu and certainly not 3 to have to pick through. We haven't been back.

Applebee's market strategy reminds me a lot of McDonald's. We don't know what we are, we don't know what we want to be, but we're definitely not what the customer is expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Applebee's market strategy reminds me a lot of McDonald's. We don't know what we are, we don't know what we want to be, but we're definitely not what the customer is expecting.
    Except that McDonald's has been totally crushing it lately.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-08-17 14_39_32-mcdonalds stock - Google Search.jpg 
Views:	1369 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	14072  

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    My brother and I were just chatting the other day about how that place used to be good. The key here being 'used to'. I'm not sure precisely when, but at one point they seemed to start a slow decline, made a couple attempts to correct it, and then entered an ever-increasing death spiral.

Interesting side note, this was part of a discussion we were having about a bunch of Ihop and Applebees locations closing (as far as I know, no list has been released so far of which ones), and how people have yet to figure out a way to blame Amazon. Radio Shack closed, Amazon's fault. Rue 21 closed, Amazon's fault. Gordman's closed, Amazon's fault. Ihop/Applebees/Joe's Crab Shack/Spaghetti Warehouse/Quiznos/Teavana/(need I continue or has the point been made yet?) close, and it's suddenly a mystery.
    If you can not find a way to blame Amazon for their faults, the trend has been to proclaim Millennials are killing [it].

Retail property sales heat up

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record January 4, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – Two restaurant buildings have changed hands, with one of them set to be replaced by another structure.

Joe’s Crab Shack, 5940 Northwest Expressway, will be demolished in order to make way for a three-story mixed-use building. Within the building, a pediatric dentist office will open, operated by David T. Evans and Stephen T. Gray. Evans also bought the neighboring pawnshop and plans to demolish it as well.

The Price Edwards Retail Investment Team sold the Joe’s Crab Shack building for $1.6 million, said broker Paul Ravencraft. The sale closed in December.

“We had a lot of interest in it,” Ravencraft said. “But we approached Evans and he paid our price pretty fast. It was in a matter of a few days.”

Evans’ practice is now in Warr Acres at 5818 NW 50th St.

Ravencraft said most potential buyers who looked at the Joe’s Crab Shack building were going to demolish it. The restaurant was built in 1994 and measured 8,489 square feet. It sits on almost 3 acres and backs up to a creek.

“That restaurant was so specific to a certain type of restaurant use, it would be hard to convert it,” Ravencraft said. “We had a limited group that we could market it to.”

Before December ended, the Retail Investment Team also sold the former Old Chicago restaurant, 2125 SW 74th St., along Interstate 240. It took one day for it to sell, said broker Phillip Mazaheri.

Restaurateur Paul Seikel sold the building for $1.3 million to Long Zhao. The new owner plans to open a Cajun restaurant in the former pizza place.

Mazaheri it wasn’t the first time the team has been involved in a one-day sale.

“It doesn’t happen too often,” he said. “We thought it would close in 2018. But it was close to the asking price. (Seikel) wanted it to close in 2017. The price was close to the evaluation we gave for the property.”

Mazaheri said the investment team didn’t have time to make calls to their usual interested buyers. They had to take more calls telling people the property was under contract.

The team also sold the Ethan Allen building, 222 S. Portland Ave. Ethan Allen isn’t closing; it was purchased by a neighboring furniture company as a long-term investment.

Ravencraft said the two restaurant sales and the Ethan Allen building were a good end to 2017. He said the year had a lot of variety, such as land, a retail center, and small shopping centers. The restaurants were a newer foray, but they fit with their typical sale product because the sites were near shopping centers.

Retail Investment Team broker George Williams said the brokers saw more retail investment activity in 2017 than in 2016.

“We saw some investors selling some of their smaller properties and moving that into bigger investments,” he said.

He said he thinks 2018 will be even busier with the changes made in federal tax regulation.

Ravencraft said the year is already busy, and it’s only day 4.

“The first quarter is usually a slower time, and we just don’t have room to breathe,” he said. “It’s really busy.”

The pawnshop building has already been demolished.

I would say please be a GOOD Cajun restaurant, but I'm so satisfied with Cajun King that I really don't see where improvement could happen. Crawfish Pot is basically "across the street", but they didn't really hit it across the plate. They have meat pies though, so they have that going for them.

There's a place on council and NW expressway called Cajun corner. Have yet to go to it.

Also there's another seafood boil place opening where Bonchon was.

Thread Information