Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rother Shrine

Default Re: Rother Shrine

I have not heard anything about anymore buildings being bought up. I think the site is large enough for the plans. I am Catholic and attended the ground breaking. I would not consider this any more then for any other parish being built.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update pic, Pete.

So much information about Blessed Stanley Rother's life--as he is being revealed as an ordinary man. 'The Basilica of the Ordinary Martyr' would be a nice name IMO for the Basilica--because has simplicity to the name.

Sainthood is the next level from 'Blessed.' It is my understanding that Rother's heart is being preserved. The original container was said to have the blood being similar to one who just died is information that has been conveyed to the Vatican.

Hope Oklahoma can further sanctify the site in OKC for those who would like learn more about Father Rother. The structure is highly visible off I-35 & 89th Street as the erection of the skeletal church can been seen from that area from the interstate. Notice the skeletal structure being erected as I passed I-35 traveling north just yesterday (05-01-2021).

Would like to know more about the Museum and Pilgrim Center planned for the site. Don't see any visible signs of that phase of construction or did I miss something...

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I have not heard anything about anymore buildings being bought up. I think the site is large enough for the plans. I am Catholic and attended the ground breaking. I would not consider this any more then for any other parish being built.
    Without those buildings, the venue will look much “cleaner” from I-35, those are real eyesores.

^^^^ I completely agree. Hopefully those buildings are torn down.

Blog Entries

South OKC Re: Rother Shrine

Blessed Stanley Rother Shrine Webcam: https://webcampub.multivista.com/ind...ckground=black

Blog Entries

Difficult to see what progress has been made with the live webcam. Seeing less green sheets that supports the inner materials for the wall structure, so they have to be doing something in the form of progress.

7. Default Re: Rother Shrine

It's hard to see from the web cam's side, but you can definitely see a lot of progress from I35. As the paneling goes up, the real shape starts to stand out.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210626_175853538.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	730.0 KB 
ID:	16932
    Took this pic, Saturday, June 26, 2021

Excuse the attached thumbnail, new to this process...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	169567_10151122164618213_527994913_o.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	16931  

Very nice shot in the thumbnail as well!

This project is progressing very well. Now let’s just get direct flights to Rome when this is completed.

While driving by the shrine on I-35 heading to Costco, I noticed that the blue dome for the shrine has been constructed and is located off to the side of the shrine. I imagine a large crane will be used to place the dome onto the shrine.

Took this yesterday on August 1:

The dome is getting set today.

Name:	7dPnhKd.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	263.0 KB 
ID:	17033

The pepto pink isn't the final color correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    The pepto pink isn't the final color correct?
    That’s just the sheathing. The visible pink areas haven’t been bricked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    That’s just the sheathing. The visible pink areas haven’t been bricked yet.
    will it be brick? for some reason the renderings gave me the impression that it would be clad in eifs, but that might not be accurate. hope you're right... i'd much prefer some type of brick/stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    will it be brick? for some reason the renderings gave me the impression that it would be clad in eifs, but that might not be accurate. hope you're right... i'd much prefer some type of brick/stone.
    It’s a brick facade. actually looks pretty good on the portions that are finished

Name:	v0abTQu.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	375.2 KB 
ID:	17035

That does look good.

No wonder my brother-in-law couldn't get that color brick for his house. The Shrine will take a full production slot in and of itself, if not more.

Name:	20210812_150454.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	17036

Name:	20210812_150611.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	17037

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    It’s a brick facade. actually looks pretty good on the portions that are finished
    great! i was thinking they were going for something that looked like stucco, like on an old mission church. this looks way better, in my opinion.

really hope that this project brings some vitality to that intersection.

Name:	SRS4.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	598.3 KB 
ID:	17040

Name:	SRS3.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	726.5 KB 
ID:	17041

Name:	SRS7.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	594.9 KB 
ID:	17042

I wonder if the Rother Shrine will work to buy out the Christie's Toy Box and Tattoo place along I-35 frontage road. Would be nice to see those come down and allow the Shrine to have a more direct line view for those coming from out of state. I would like like to see OKC metro start to come into it's own, clean up OKC and invest in itself.

24. Default Re: Rother Shrine

I don't have any specific insight here but wouldn't be surprised if they aren't working to emulate the colorful plaster on Spanish Colonial architecture in Guatemala - where he served and ultimately was murdered - for instance such as around the Santa Catalina arch in Antigua:

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman View Post
    I wonder if the Rother Shrine will work to buy out the Christie's Toy Box and Tattoo place along I-35 frontage road. Would be nice to see those come down and allow the Shrine to have a more direct line view for those coming from out of state. I would like like to see OKC metro start to come into it's own, clean up OKC and invest in itself.
    They bought 9017 I-35 Frontage Rd and demoed it. Not sure if that was a one time thing or if they are eventually going for all the buildings that front i35

Thread Information