Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rother Shrine

Default Re: Archdiocese Begin Capital Campaign For Rother Shine, 2,000 seat church.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    awesome... maybe this will start soon. i think think this will look amazing from I-35 as i drive by everyday.
    Will not start until late Quarter 4 of 2019

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rother Shrine

Oklahoman, August 14, 2019

A shrine to the former Okarche priest who was murdered in Guatemala is one step closer to reality.

The Most Rev. Paul S. Coakley, archbishop of the Catholic Archdiocese of Oklahoma City, on Tuesday announced that the groundbreaking for the Blessed Stanley Rother Shrine will be Nov. 3. at SW 89 and Interstate 35.

The event from 3 to 5 p.m. will include children's and family activities. It is free and open to the public.

Rother was serving as a priest with the Oklahoma City Diocese when he was killed in his parish rectory in Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala.

“The groundbreaking for the shrine will be a significant moment in the life of the Church in Oklahoma and for the broader community,” Coakley said. “The shrine is being built to honor Blessed Stanley Rother, an Oklahoma original and the first U.S.-born priest and martyr ever beatified. It will be a place of pilgrimage where the faithful will come from near and far to honor Blessed Stanley at his final resting place and to seek his intercession for their many needs. It will be a place of welcome, serving all people.”

The $40 million shrine will include a 2,000-seat church, a chapel where Blessed Stanley will be buried, an education building, an event space and several areas designated for shrines and devotion. The Spanish colonial-style church will be the largest Catholic church in Oklahoma. The property also will include a $5 museum and pilgrim center where visitors will get an experience that leads them through the life, witness and martyrdom of Blessed Stanley, the archdiocese said in a news release. The church will help accommodate the growing Hispanic population whose parishes are significantly overcrowded, the release said.

Design architect for the project is Franck & Lohsen Architects in Washington, D.C., supported by the local architectural firm ADG. The general contractor is The Boldt Company in Oklahoma City with Cooper Project Advisors serving as the owner’s representative. To RSVP for the groundbreaking, email rsvp@archokc.org. Tickets are not required.

4. Default Re: Rother Shrine

The Oklahoman articles are getting better.

But still, only thing left out is how long it will take to complete the shrine. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    The Oklahoman articles are getting better.

But still, only thing left out is how long it will take to complete the shrine. ....
    Oklahoman articles are getting better? Pete, The Gazette & The Oklahoma City Free Press may have a lot to do with that.

Met Father Rother the year he spent at Corpus Christi Catholic Church in OKC. Found him to be a very concerned person, firm, fair, serious faithful & helpful always greeted you with respect; smiled and a genuine person on the up-and-up; more serious and concerned than most priests I've met, truly an impact person who made a difference in the lives he touched.

Blog Entries

South OKC Re: Rother Shrine

The Rother Shine & Basilica will be a $100 million project that will combine beauty, art & simplicity for a basilica, a characteristic of Father Rother, an ordinary man; it will make the south side an enclave for visitors, guests, pilgrims, poor, rich, pure in heart & curiosity seekers from far and wide.

Father Rother, an ordinary man, a good shepherd who knew his flock. The Shine & Basilica will be a testament, shine & memorial in remembrance of a man who blended with the fold.

An interesting article about the Shrine here:

Building on a Prayer
    https://www.constructor-digital.com/...icleId=1503677

Building $100 million basilicas while sitting on the findings of "independent" investigations into clergy sex abuse.I wonder what Rother would have thought about that.

We Catholics that donated the money for the shrine, donated it for the shrine to be built. The Archdiocese did not take it out of some hidden bank account to build it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The Rother Shine & Basilica will be a $100 million project that will combine beauty, art & simplicity for a basilica, a characteristic of Father Rother, an ordinary man; it will make the south side an enclave for visitors, guests, pilgrims, poor, rich, pure in heart & curiosity seekers from far and wide.

Father Rother, an ordinary man, a good shepherd who knew his flock. The Shine & Basilica will be a testament, shine & memorial in remembrance of a man who blended with the fold.
    I believe he would condemn abusers and those that aid them whether Catholic, Baptist, non-denominational, teachers, priests, preacher, or parents. At the same time he honored the saints before him.

The issues are totally separate as much as the haters want to conflate them.

Are there examples of him condemning abusers? After all, these things were happening during his time 50+ years ago, too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    Are there examples of him condemning abusers? After all, these things were happening during his time 50+ years ago, too.
    You obviously have no idea who Rother was or what he stood for. Making controversial statements trying to sow doubts about a truly holy man is small indeed, or worse.

Correct. I have no idea who Rother was or what he stood for. It was an honest question with no ulterior motives. Do such examples exist? If so, it would be kind of you to provide one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    Correct. I have no idea who Rother was or what he stood for. It was an honest question with no ulterior motives. Do such examples exist? If so, it would be kind of you to provide one or two.
    I know it sounds crazy today, but sexual abuse was not a top of mind subject back in the era Father Rother was alive. It would be easy for me to believe that he was never in a position that required a direct statement. Although, I believe his life story that I have read suggests that he was a pure heart that was opposed to all human abuse and indignity.

Thanks, Dob. I read a bit about Rother since this morning. While I did not find any examples of him speaking out about abuses by the church, he did speak out about atrocities that our government was committing at the time. He was absolutely correct about what was going on and that's what got him killed. The Oklahoma Gazette did a fairly detailed profile in 2006 for anyone who is interested in his story:

Heart of a martyr

Does anyone have a transcript of the March 1981 homily described in the article?

I also recommend this book for a history of Father Rother https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NLCPVDB...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
    I was a teenager at McGuinness when Father Rother was killed. I have also attended St Charles Borromeo for most of my life. Our parish helped support his mission in Guatemala while he was alive so we were very much aware of how he was risking his life by staying. The part our government played in the Guatemalan civil war is disturbing to say the least.

Blog Entries

South OKC Re: Rother Shrine

Mayor to join Rother shrine groundbreaking

(pic, Oklahoman 10-26-19 Saturday edition)

Mayor David Holt will participant in the groundbreaking for the Blessed Stanley Rother Shrine set for 3 p.m. Nov. 3 at SE 89, between Shields Boulevard and Interstate 35.

The ceremonial groundbreaking by the Oklahoma Roman Catholic leaders will signal the construction of the Blessed Father Stanley Rother Shine & the 2,000 seat Roman Catholic Church Basilica planned for Oklahoma City.

“It will be a place of pilgrimage where the faithful will come from near and far to honor Blessed Stanley at his final resting place and to seek his intercession for their many needs. It will be a place of welcome, serving all people,” Archbishop Coakley said.

Link: http://digital.newsok.com/Olive/ODN/...n/default.aspx

Does the catholic bible have Exodus 20:4 ? Or is that just words from the Ancient Past? Spend more time on these things than what Christ actually wants us to do.

19. Default Re: Rother Shrine

That's difference in the faith brian. I'm not Catholic and not a fan of Catholicism, but time spent ridiculing other denomination is not time well spent. Catholics out there, please correct me if i'm wrong here, but this is NOT idolatry. They pray THROUGH the saints because the view is that man does not pray directly to God. The saints are merely a means to the end. In Protestantism, we don't understand that because we have a different, and more direct, relationship where we do talk directly to God.

You can dig whatever you want out of whatever translation of the Bible that you want, and it will either help or hurt whatever argument you have. That's why we have denominations and partly why we have the split between Catholicism and Protestantism. At the end of the day, we're all part of the same team though. So why try to "prove them wrong"?

This campus is going to be a value-added project for Christianity regardless of what group is building. It's going to serve the community in ways that the Catholic Church cannot in OKC right now. We should be happy for them.

Blog Entries

It's called intercessory prayer. It's no different than asking your friends to pray for your mom in the hospital.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    That's difference in the faith brian. I'm not Catholic and not a fan of Catholicism, but time spent ridiculing other denomination is not time well spent. Catholics out there, please correct me if i'm wrong here, but this is NOT idolatry. They pray THROUGH the saints because the view is that man does not pray directly to God. The saints are merely a means to the end. In Protestantism, we don't understand that because we have a different, and more direct, relationship where we do talk directly to God.

You can dig whatever you want out of whatever translation of the Bible that you want, and it will either help or hurt whatever argument you have. That's why we have denominations and partly why we have the split between Catholicism and Protestantism. At the end of the day, we're all part of the same team though. So why try to "prove them wrong"?

This campus is going to be a value-added project for Christianity regardless of what group is building. It's going to serve the community in ways that the Catholic Church cannot in OKC right now. We should be happy for them.
    As a Catholic you certainly can and are taught and encouraged to pray directly to God. Asking the Saints to intercede is like asking Mom to talk to Dad on your behalf. You certainly can talk to Dad directly and may have a great relationship, but it doesn't hurt if Mom is on your side too.

There are so many misconceptions spread about the Catholic faith it is hard to believe it is done innocently. Misrepresentations have been spread for hundreds of years, particularly by Protestants trying to discredit the church based in Rome.

Years ago as a young Catholic we were discouraged from attending events at other denominations (not so today), but it only led to ignorance and spread falsehoods. It is much better that people actually find out what the REAL beliefs of other faiths are before spreading gossip and falsehoods.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    It's called intercessory prayer. It's no different than asking your friends to pray for your mom in the hospital.
    Yes. Most of my Protestant friends regularly ask me to pray for things for them. I am sure this is in addition to them praying directly to God, not instead of. And, I doubt they think I have more pull than they do.

I have friends that are Catholic too. So my questions are what is definition of Catholicism ? And is the Pope Christ on earth?

I have friends that are Catholic too. So my questions are what is definition of Catholicism ? And is the Pope, Christ on earth?

Blog Entries

The Catholic (meaning "universal") church is believed to be the one church founded by Christ. It traces it's origins directly to Peter from whom all legitimate Popes descended. Cardinals are descended from Christ's Apostles. Other Christian denominations split from the Catholic Church because of doctrinal or political differences, and sometimes social. The Orthodox Church contests which is the true descendant church, but they both started from the same place. Many believe it is semantics whether the Orthodox split from the Catholics or the Catholics from the Orthodox. They went their separate ways, but share most doctrinal beliefs.

No, the Pope isn't Christ or God and no one claims he is. He is head of the Catholic Church. He is believed to be the current in the uninterrupted line of succession from St. Peter, a direct charge of Jesus. Other denominations and faiths have other structures to lead them which may or may not rest the final authority in a singular person.

Thread Information