Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rother Shrine

Default Re: Archdiocese Begin Capital Campaign For Rother Shine, 2,000 seat church.

Ops I need to read my posts first. but other groups like people of color. sorry. I add words. brain disconnet right now with kidney stones.

Default Re: Archdiocese Begin Capital Campaign For Rother Shine, 2,000 seat church.

I think that person is just trolling and I'm sure whoever it is is enjoying these comments.

Blog Entries

"The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Oklahoma City has raised more than half the funds needed to build a church and Stanley Rother shrine in south Oklahoma City.

As part of its “One Church, Many Disciples” capital campaign, the archdiocese has collected total commitments for $42 million of the $60 million it set out to raise in July 2017, Peter de Keratry, the archdiocese’s executive director of stewardship and development, said recently. “We have raised significantly more dollars than we had planned to by now,” he said. Lay leaders Steve and Kathy King served as co-chairmen of the campaign committee at St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church."--Oklahoman, May 12, 2018, Carla Hinton

4. Default Re: Archdiocese Begin Capital Campaign For Rother Shine, 2,000 seat church.

wow, they raised 70% of the $60M in less than a year. Very impressive.

Who said Oklahoma was a poor state. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

5. Default Re: Archdiocese Begin Capital Campaign For Rother Shine, 2,000 seat church.

Careful, they said they got COMMITMENTS for that amount of money. That means they dont have that money in hand yet and it wont be 100% of that amount. People can always pledge X number, but coming through with it is another thing.

Still very awesome that they were able to do this. But i'll be more excited when they get the actual dollars and start building.

6. Default Re: Archdiocese Begin Capital Campaign For Rother Shine, 2,000 seat church.

My monthly pledge is charged to my credit card.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Careful, they said they got COMMITMENTS for that amount of money. That means they dont have that money in hand yet and it wont be 100% of that amount. People can always pledge X number, but coming through with it is another thing.

Still very awesome that they were able to do this. But i'll be more excited when they get the actual dollars and start building.
    I've been through several money raises at my churches (Catholic). They have all exceeded the amounts and in less time than originally projected. I don't think they will have any problem getting people to live up to their commitments. Of course conditions change for some and they can't meet their pledges, but others find out they can do more, too.

Blog Entries

Agree, my current "pledges" for improvements to St. Francis are being billed to my CC weekly.

Blog Entries

Hopefully, these are solid pledges. We also need to take into account that there will be more money collected than pledged. Preliminary indications are good because they feel they are ahead of what was anticipated. They want a shine & Basilica to comfortably accommodate 2,000.

My understanding was that the archdiocese's goal was to collect more than what was needed to complete this project--a necessary cushion for cost overruns.

Blog Entries

As we've been saying, I think the term "pledge" is misleading. Unlike the usual use as a "promise", in the case of the catholic church (at least locally), when we fill out a pledge card, they start taking out the funds right away in the way you've prescribed on the card.

Blog Entries

For example, for one particular project, I think I pledged $1000 over five years, so it's coming out of my bank at like $5/wk. Sure I could cancel that recurring payment, and break my pledge, but barring that, they're going to get their $1000 I "pledged".

It's going to be a beautiful shrine but I wish it was in a more beautiful place. That area is rather industrial with auto shops and lumber yard across the street. Also, there's a sex shop on the corner and a bar next to that.

Like Okarche? Where Rother was actually from?

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

The proposed basiicila will be larger yet similar to Our Lady of Victory, National Shine & Basilica (Father Nelson Baker Shrine) in Lackawanna, NY

The growth of the Roman Catholic Church is prolific on our south side with enormous growth in parishes like St. James the Greater, Sacred Heart, Little Flower, Holy Angels, Immaculate Conception, St. Paul Apostle (Del City), St. Philip Neri (MWC); these churches can't expand fast enough.

Kudos to our archdioceses. Hope they decide to make the basilica a cathedral for the Oklahoma City archdioceses. There is a need for a mega 2,000 seat basilica in Oklahoma City & a Shine for Father Stanley Rother. My hope is that Pope Francis will be here for the dedication & beatification ceremonies.

This will be one of the largest Roman Catholic Churches in the west south central region.
    So I was visiting some friends out in Buffalo, NY last week and, while on our way to the Buffalo and Erie Botanical Gardens, happened to get to see the exterior of the Our Lady of Victory Basilica... If the one built here looks anything like the one in Lackawanna, the building will be stunningly gorgeous. I'm a little sad that ours won't be anywhere near as visible to passersby - the Our Lady of Victory Basilica is right on the corner of a relatively busy intersection so it really really stands out - but it should still be really, really pretty.

^ i'm thinking the complex will have pretty good visibility from i-35...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Just used Google Maps to double check my recollection of the view from I-35... People will likely be able to see the dome and the parapets/towers (not sure of the proper name) but they won't get to see any detail unless they intentionally drive onto the property. What impressed me so much about Our Lady of Victory was how huge and immediate it felt just driving by it, because it's literally at the corner of the intersection. The details of the architecture pop out at you as you drive through the intersection. It's an amazing way to show it off. I'm sure ours will still be beautiful regardless, though.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Just used Google Maps to double check my recollection of the view from I-35...
    yeah... i just checked google maps for myself and you're right. due to the overpass on 89th, i was thinking that this section of 35 was higher above grade than what it really is. the strip centers along the frontage road really obstruct the view.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Because of the size of this structure it will be highly visible from I-35.

Blog Entries

The Boldt Co. will join design architects Franck and Lohsen, of Washington, D.C., and project architects ADG, of Oklahoma City.
    The shrine will include a 2,000-seat church, a 200-seat chapel, a museum and a pilgrim center, which will tell the story of Rother’s life and martyrdom. An event center and education building will be added in front of the main church.
    “The committee found The Boldt Company leadership to be highly capable and good communicators with a deep understanding of the mission and purpose of the shrine,” Molly Bernard, chairman of the shrine selection committee, said in a news release...

Capital campaign continues

Funding for the shrine is part of the archdiocese’s first-ever capital campaign entitled “One Church, Many Disciples.”

Construction of the shrine is the central element of the $65 million campaign.

To date, the campaign has raised more than $56 million, and Coakley recently announced a challenge goal of $80 million.

About $39 million of the total will be put toward completing the church and shrine.

Peter de Keratry, executive director of stewardship and development for the archdiocese said if the campaign continues its success, and pledges are paid over time, the archdiocese expects to be able to break ground on the shrine in early 2020.
    Archdiocese selects company to build Rother shrine: http://digital.newsok.com/Olive/ODN/...n/default.aspx

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City Catholic Archdiocese surpasses fundraising goal for Rother shrine

https://newsok.com/article/5608762/o...-rother-shrine

The gold course has been closed for few months and one building was torn down.

Does somebody have a timeline of what is coming to share ?

What is next ?

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    The gold course has been closed for few months and one building was torn down.

Does somebody have a timeline of what is coming to share ?

What is next ?
    that's a really good question.. i drove by the other day, and kept thinking how different this area is going to look in a few years. curious when anything will actually get started on it

My understanding is that the project is currently in the middle of about a year of pre-construction (value added designs, planning, regular design, budgeting, etc.) . What I've heard for a realistic expectation is for the project to start late Q4 this year.

Blog Entries

South OKC Re: Archdiocese Begin Capital Campaign For Rother Shine, 2,000 seat church.

According to the Sooner Catholic (March 10, 2019 p. 3) the Father Stanley Rother Shine & 2,000 seat Basilica ONE CHURCH, MANY DISCIPLES has exceeded its challenge goal of $80 million with $81,568,843 gifts/pledges to date 102%.

Sooner Catholic: https://ecatholic-sites.s3.amazonaws...%203-10-19.pdf

awesome... maybe this will start soon. i think think this will look amazing from I-35 as i drive by everyday.

Thread Information