Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rother Shrine

Default Re: Archdiocese Begin Capital Campaign For Rother Shine, 2,000 seat church.

Why not have the building closer to the street and the parking behind the building. Same amount of everything. If it's going to be a beautiful structure, why make the view from the street cluttered with cars?

This doesn't necessarily need to be urban -- just rearranged to be more appealing to the eye by hiding the cars and putting the building a little bit closer.

Default Re: Archdiocese Begin Capital Campaign For Rother Shine, 2,000 seat church.

^exactly.

[QUOTE=Rover;1029358]
    Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I won't deny that the building is quite beautiful... but man, what a *massive* waste of space. I was really hoping to see a more efficient land use here. 1,000 parking spaces? Oof. And a bunch of these features marked as "future" buildings? Double-oof. As a southsider, if I'm being honest... Gorgeous though the building might be, the overall site plan is a real disappointment for this property.[/QUOTE

Can you believe.... a CHURCH that wants to make it possible for a lot of people to come worship GOD and isn't worried about modern urbanism. Shame, shame. Where are their priorities?
    because you are destroying God's natural beauty (grass, open space, animals,noise, air quality, healthy bodies, etc) with a giant slab of man made concrete?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Why not have the building closer to the street and the parking behind the building. Same amount of everything. If it's going to be a beautiful structure, why make the view from the street cluttered with cars?

This doesn't necessarily need to be urban -- just rearranged to be more appealing to the eye by hiding the cars and putting the building a little bit closer.
    Bingo.

[QUOTE=Ross MacLochness;1029406]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

because you are destroying God's natural beauty (grass, open space, animals,noise, air quality, healthy bodies, etc) with a giant slab of man made concrete?
    Are you serious? Historic churches in Europe have some of the largest giant slab of man made concrete areas anywhere. Vatican City? This set up is just fine. Calm down.

Blog Entries

Good suggestion catch22, just wonder if there is some reason why the basilica's parking is spaced out...

Plans for the basilica are okay; it's not like 1,000 cars will be parked there with any frequency as you would see on a new-used car lot.

Our present cathedral is beautiful inside & out: Cathedral of Our Lady of Perpetual Help--Renaissance Revival architecture; its frontage IMO is a little too close to the street. Attended numerous funerals for dignitaries (Bishops, priests, nuns & members), love the atmosphere & church environment.

Wow. How is the Catholic population increasing? Who would change their beliefs to join them? I thought OKC was making forward progress. The last thing we need is another catholic church. Where can I start a petition to keep this from happening?

8. Default Re: Archdiocese Begin Capital Campaign For Rother Shine, 2,000 seat church.

Uhhhhhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Drake View Post
    Wow. How is the Catholic population increasing? Who would change their beliefs to join them? I thought OKC was making forward progress. The last thing we need is another catholic church. Where can I start a petition to keep this from happening?

Not sure if serious...but if you are...whoa...

For an attempt at a serious answer to the first part of that, I assume the catholic population is increasing because the hispanic population is.

12. Default Re: Archdiocese Begin Capital Campaign For Rother Shine, 2,000 seat church.

^^^^^^^
    Yeah I started to say the same thing, but based on the tone of the post I figured that would be taken to be just as negative if not more than simply more Catholics, so didn’t bother. I’m not Catholic, but that post reads pretty obviously as some pretty ugly religious intolerance or worse and doesn’t belong in this board IMO.

Well this guy might have just won the award for OKCTalk asshat of 2018, and it's only April...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post

Look at the layout per post #14. It doesn't look like they own the property up to I-35 access road, only the access site. Bringing the entrance of the church up to the access street wouldn't make much sense, would it? And, putting parking right at the front steps wouldn't. In an urban setting the front steps would be close to the street and the street would be blocked off for visiting dignitaries, wedding vehicles, funeral vehicles, etc. Having the access road at the steps and no parking there would be quite a blockage for these requirements . Opposite is another entrance providing a view onto the lawn, courtyard and church. Where do you propose to "hide" the cars? They are positioned along the sides and provide adequate space for main events likely to be held at this church and should be close enough for easy access by the elderly etc.

Keep in mind, this isn't just to serve as a neighborhood church, but a destination cathedral, museum and reliquarium.

Once built, I seriously doubt it will be disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Well this guy might have just won the award for OKCTalk asshat of 2018, and it's only April...
    Eh, the night is still young. I have a few posts up my sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Good suggestion catch22, just wonder if there is some reason why the basilica's parking is spaced out...

Plans for the basilica are okay; it's not like 1,000 cars will be parked there with any frequency as you would see on a new-used car lot.

Our present cathedral is beautiful inside & out: Cathedral of Our Lady of Perpetual Help--Renaissance Revival architecture; its frontage IMO is a little too close to the street. Attended numerous funerals for dignitaries (Bishops, priests, nuns & members), love the atmosphere & church environment.
    I attended the wedding vow reconfirmation ceremony into the Catholic faith of a couple friends of mine here a few weeks ago. .... beautiful cathedral. ... Just beautiful!.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

Once built, I seriously doubt it will be disappointing.
    If you notice, it also looks like they will have extensive landscaping. As you said, this building is set back from the street anyways and no reason to have it fronting the street at this point and it isn't like something can't be built there in the future. The parking looks to be concealed by trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

When I was in orchestra as a teenager we did a concert in this church. The concert was all James Bond music. It was awesome.

20. Default Re: Archdiocese Begin Capital Campaign For Rother Shine, 2,000 seat church.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hahahahahaha

Tell me you're less than 14 years old ???

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Hahahahahaha

Blog Entries

Gotta get the Basilica built now... ...will need 2,001 seats

You know their position on birth control, right?

Ian, have you ever heard of the freedom of religion? You are insulting to us Catholics and other people of faith. What do you mean by changing their beliefs to join them? There are many cradle Catholics in the state and the OKC area. Alot of people moving here from other parts of the county are Catholic. I guess you think it is still ok to bash Catholics but not other groups like people of color?? or National origin?? Really in todays age I though we were through with the KKK agenda.

Thread Information