Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rother Shrine

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rother Shrine

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post

Impressive pics of the Basilica being crowned...

Thanks, GoGators...

Blog Entries

The Basilica will be dedicated to an ordinary martyr

Father Stanley Rother's remains have a permanent resting place

The $40 million shrine is the highest profile project undertaken as part of the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City's first capital campaign.

Besides a chapel, the site will include a 2,000-seat church where the priest's body will be entombed, an education building, an event space, and several areas designated for shrines and devotion. The site will be developed over time, the archdiocese said.--The Pilot.

Blessed Stanley Rother Shrine & Basilica

Project Cost: $40 million

Very cool! I am glad you got pictures of that, Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Very cool! I am glad you got pictures of that, Pete!
    I didn't take those images; they are from the ADG (architects) Facebook page which I linked in that post.

Just clarifying because I always want to give credit to others for their work/content.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I didn't take those images; they are from the ADG (architects) Facebook page which I linked in that post.

Just clarifying because I always want to give credit to others for their work/content.
    My bad! I must have missed that. But still cool to see the Shrine taking shape.

Blog Entries

Post Re: Rother Shrine

Blessed Stanley Rother Shrine & Basilica cam: https://webcampub.multivista.com/ind...ckground=black

All the dome caps (or whatever they are called) appear to have been lifted. Great view from I-35 south @ 89th Street--caution: KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD. You can exist off N.W. 12th Street, drive north to S. E. 89th Street to the construction site--it's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Blessed Stanley Rother Shrine & Basilica cam: https://webcampub.multivista.com/ind...ckground=black

All the dome caps (or whatever they are called) appear to have been lifted. Great view from I-35 south @ 89th Street--caution: KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD. You can exist off N.W. 12th Street, drive north to S. E. 89th Street to the construction site--it's impressive.

I know that I am being all "um, actually!". So I apologize for that, but the shrine is not a basilica, at least not yet. To be a basilica in the Catholic Church, the Pope himself has to grant that designation. It is my hope and prayer that this great church will one day will join the ranks of other great churches designated as basilicas.

I can't wait to see the shrine finished. These pictures are really great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BilliamBrasky View Post
    I know that I am being all "um, actually!". So I apologize for that, but the shrine is not a basilica, at least not yet. To be a basilica in the Catholic Church, the Pope himself has to grant that designation. It is my hope and prayer that this great church will one day will join the ranks of other great churches designated as basilicas.

I can't wait to see the shrine finished. These pictures are really great.
    No need for an apology, learning is a continuous cycle...

Interesting process much like many of the monuments and great edifices we consecrate (chrism) today. The Catholic Church has always had in place methodical procedures for getting things done. Sometimes these process changes appear slow; however many processes you can witness happening in real time from one decade to another.

Remember when 'The Mass' was said and performed in Latin, you couldn't touch the communion (host) with your fingers and the palms of your hands. The wine representing the 'blood' of Jesus was celebrated by his ordained priest, His representative. The role of Deacons throughout the Dioceses, who perform some of same functions of priests, where there is a shortage. The Church (Roman Catholic) has made changes throughout history. Catholicism of the Universal Church, we have watched it evolve over time. Deal with the ugly scandals and challenges it has faced and continue to face today--as well as all church institutions (not limited to Catholic) face today.

Looking forward to the official naming, the procedural process of making this Shine which includes a building--built to the specifications of a Basilica and final resting place for Blessed Father Stanley Francis Rother. So proud and glad to hear that he put up a fight... Because all that I have been taught and learned about when to turn the other cheek will always have clear meaning to me.

Looking forward to the completion of this Shrine dedicated to a 'Blessed' person I met, had a number of conversations with throughout the time spent with him--he truly reflected everything said about him--brave and a leader of his flock. Much like the Jesus Christ we know today, willing to bear his cross as a gift of salvation.

An ordinary ordained priest.

Your story (Father Francis Stanley Rother) will be told, like many martyrs before you, your trials and tribulations are etched in history. Also looking forward to the final miracle string that will allow you to be canonized a saint.

Taken today (Sunday):

I will throw this out there for anyone who is excited about the shrine but doesn't know. The Cathedral of Our Lady of Perpetual Help finished a major renovation in 2019. I would definitely encourage a visit. Part of the renovation includes a prayer chapel dedicated to Blessed Stanley.

New altar and arch art representing the history of the Church in Oklahoma:

New Blessed Rother chapel:

It's interesting to see a new traditional worship style church building going up in this day and age of declining attendance for many denominations. The contrast between this going up and the old Central Presbyterian at 50th and N May getting torn down is something to think about.

Blog Entries

South OKC Re: Rother Shrine

There's plenty of work to be completed on roof repairs and upgrades to many of the Catholic Churches inside the Oklahoma City Dioceses proper.

Also the Rother Shrine will have a $5 million building to house a Pilgrim Center and Museum to welcome visitors to the site. IIRC over $80 million was raised in donations which included pledges for the One Church, Many Disciples Campaign.

Blog Entries

Rother Shrine Webcam:

https://webcampub.multivista.com/ind...ckground=black

The Church (Soon to be christened Basilica) can be seen from I-35/89th Street driving N or S. [Caution: Keep eyes on the road] Kudos to whoever chose this site. Will be a great addition to the Oklahoma City area.

What an... interesting building

16. Default Re: Rother Shrine

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    What an... interesting building
    Basically an overgrown Milagros lol.

17. Default Re: Rother Shrine

The pink board is now clearly sheathing that goes behind the veneer of cast stone, limestone or whatever material is being coursed over it. I fell into the same trap that I always get irritated seeing others fall into; making the assumption that a product I was seeing is the final product. It now looks like they must've applied a pink skim coat of some sort to the board. That's obviously going to be fully hidden behind the stone. Pre-judge this building at your own peril. I suspect it is going to be stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The pink board is now clearly sheathing that goes behind the veneer of cast stone, limestone or whatever material is being coursed over it. I fell into the same trap that I always get irritated seeing others fall into; making the assumption that a product I was seeing is the final product. It now looks like they must've applied a pink skim coat of some sort to the board. That's obviously going to be fully hidden behind the stone. Pre-judge this building at your own peril. I suspect it is going to be stunning.
    I was going to say it isn't even finished yet but then I figured I would get called for out for doing this same thing on this board which I have. I believe they will also add more buildings to the project down the road. This seems like it will be a pretty significant project in its own right.

19. Default Re: Rother Shrine

The consistent pink skim coat really threw me off. Not sure I have seen that done on top of sheathing in that way. Could be something specific to the stone veneer. Either that or I am out of touch with construction methods, which I am, and which are always evolving.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It's interesting to see a new traditional worship style church building going up in this day and age of declining attendance for many denominations. The contrast between this going up and the old Central Presbyterian at 50th and N May getting torn down is something to think about.
    Alot of the more liberal denominations are lifeless husks of what they once were.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Alot of the more liberal denominations are lifeless husks of what they once were.
    Which ones?

Blog Entries

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...es/6199481001/

shows inside pictures plus the pink is going away

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...es/6199481001/

shows inside pictures plus the pink is going away
    Thanks Shawnw for the updates via The Oklahoman.

Blog Entries

Rother Shrine and yet-to-be (Papal brief), Basilica updates...

Updated pics via the Oklahoman of exterior (above) and interior (below)

700 SE 89th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73149

Project construction cost: $40 million

Source: Oklahoman, November 22, 2021 - visit this site, it is really impressive.

Thread Information