Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kroger

Default Re: Kroger

Homeland is trying
    Yes, they are, and hats off to them for that. Yet, they still don't measure up to the aforementioned markets in other states.

This is a huge overgeneralization with a lot of exceptions, but I think the quality of grocery stores has to do with the lower per capita income in Oklahoma. This is purely anecdotal, but it feels like the average person that shops for groceries or most other things in Oklahoma is primarily influenced by value. How can I stretch my budget as far as I can? It's a completely rational thing to do. Look for sales, find lower-cost brands, I get it.

In other places where people have a bit more disposable income, they can be a bit more discerning. They place a value on different types of things. They are willing to pay more for brands they like, or for nicer shopping experiences. If the average income in St. Louis or Dallas is say 10% higher than OKC and they have a denser population of people per store, that probably pushes the quality of the mid-range stores upwards a little bit.

While this is accurate on a sheet of paper, I don't like that OKC gets overlooked. Yes, our average income per capita is lower than other comparable cities of our size, but also our cost of living is lower.

This is a generalization, but in OKC you are paying for a mortgage and other costs of living that's half or 2/3 the price of the same size house in these comparable cities. In turn, you have the same percentage amount of disposable income. I'll agree that we have been "trained" to look for value when shopping in our previous offerings.

I am worried about the current state of politics in the state, that may cause certain companies to overlook OKC or cease doing business all together.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    While this is accurate on a sheet of paper, I don't like that OKC gets overlooked. Yes, our average income per capita is lower than other comparable cities of our size, but also our cost of living is lower.

This is a generalization, but in OKC you are paying for a mortgage and other costs of living that's half or 2/3 the price of the same size house in these comparable cities. In turn, you have the same percentage amount of disposable income. I'll agree that we have been "trained" to look for value when shopping in our previous offerings.

I am worried about the current state of politics in the state, that may cause certain companies to overlook OKC or cease doing business all together.
    But yet Texas and their super liberal politics don't get overlooked? I don't think that matters much.

I think it matters at the margins, maybe not for a grocery store but for a corporate operation.

Texas's sky-high growth rate and sheer size negates comparisons to Oklahoma. Companies will go in there regardless of politics. Oklahoma is more like a Kentucky or Louisiana, and I do think our politics influence certain corporations. But we're getting off topic.

As has been mentioned many times, these mid-market grocery stores are getting squeezed at one end by deep discounters (Walmart, Costco, Aldi, Winco) and at the other by specialty stores (Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joe's).

Our dominant mid-market store was Homeland which spun off from Safeway and then went right into the ground. They are making a bit of a comeback, but they've closed over 50 stores leaving a big hole in the market and one that nobody is rushing to fill due to the unprofitable nature of these mid-tier grocers.

This is why Kroger is being very aggressive with this new delivery model: to try and stay competitive and to move into new markets where they cannot justify the overhead of traditional stores.

It's probably time to release the fantasy that the OKC market is going to get a new mid-tier grocery chain to open stores here. In the meantime, be thankful for the newer Homeland stores (maybe we'll see a few more), Costco, TJ's, WF's, Sprouts, Aldi and Winco. At least now we have a lot of good grocery options as compared to just 5-10 years ago.

One other grocery option people tend to leave out is Target. Yah I know they are a bit over priced but still it is a grocery shopping option. Also there is Natural Grocers, sure they have limited selections but another option that can be a fit for some people. I shop for specialty items and bulk grains (pre bagged) and a few other items. Its an easy in and out if you just want your organic milk, a few tomatoes and some specialty grains. Just saying we do have more options then Walmart/Sam's Club like a few years ago.

As of today (Wed 6/29), Kroger is accepting orders for delivery Thursday and beyond throughout the OKC area.

There is a flat fee of $6.95 per order and includes fresh produce and meat as well as the usual grocery store staples. (Fee may be higher as they gradually increase their delivery radius to a full 90 miles).

Kroger employees (not gig workers) drive refrigerated trucks and can help answer questions and rectify issues as they interact with customers.

(I did some calculations and it looks like when they fully expand to cover a 90-mile radius, that would reach all the way to Lawton, Clinton, Ponca City and Ada and everywhere in between. That's a big deal because Kroger will deliver fresh produce, meat and just about everything else to areas without good access to fresh food.)

Woo Hoo!

Blog Entries

GF works downtown. Texted her this was ready and she texted me back...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kroger-truck-downtown-okc.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	17541

(trucks already downtown delivering)

Put together a fake, test order for our address in MWC and noticed two things:
    1. The delivery fee is $9.95 instead of $6.95.
    2. They have no time slots at all available for our address lol

Blog Entries

Yes, I tried to order too and got no slots available. They have a $15 off on first order of $75 by the way.

I tried and got the same message.

They literally just opened their system to Oklahoma a couple of hours ago.

I know some people have been able to schedule delivery times, even for today.

What are the hours at that building?
    I would like to stop to pick out my own meat and produce.

Come to think of it, there’s no real grocer in this area. Krogers would do well I’d think opening a physical in store location in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    What are the hours at that building?
    I would like to stop to pick out my own meat and produce.
    They don't allow non-employees into their facility.

My app is showing an option for a $59/year membership that gives free delivery for any order over $35.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    My app is showing an option for a $59/year membership that gives free delivery for any order over $35.
    My app states they don’t have delivery service in your area (NW OKC)

Okay I don’t know if I’m doing this right. First, I saw two apps in the App Store so I downloaded them both. The main store app doesn’t seem to be what I need. So I am trying to use the Kroger Delivery app. Is that the right one?

The app is acting pretty weird. I give it my location and it keeps defaulting back to pickup in Texas. I am wondering if this is the apps way of saying they don’t deliver to me.

Does anyone know if Kroger is delivering to the suburbs yet (e.g. Edmond, Norman)? Maybe that’s my problem.

^

It seems they are only delivering in very limited areas.

It shows they deliver to my address but then when I go to checkout, there are no available delivery days or times.

Some people have been able to get all the way through. They probably have limited drivers at this point.

22. Default Re: Kroger

For those inclined to save some money when K get's fully up and running, I can testify that most of their store brand products are generally very good.

I was just able to get a delivery scheduled for tomorrow (Friday).

For those that encountered a problem, try again and report back.

Me too. But I wasn't paying attention and scheduled my delivery for between 6-7am. If anyone knows how to change delivery times let me know.

So is the delivery fee 6.95 or 9.95? I keep seeing conflicting things

Thread Information