Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Kroger

Default Re: Kroger

^

That is interesting, thanks for sharing.

I saw an analysis a few years ago that compared the traditional grocery stores in California (Ralph's/Kroger, Vons) versus Walmart and Costco.

If you used coupons, the traditional stores actually had the lowest prices on a consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

That is interesting, thanks for sharing.

I saw an analysis a few years ago that compared the traditional grocery stores in California (Ralph's/Kroger, Vons) versus Walmart and Costco.

If you used coupons, the traditional stores actually had the lowest prices on a consistent basis.
    I was a coupon person back in the day. My best was like $120 of grocery for $14. It was way easier back in the day though. You could take a competitor ad to another store that would double coupon and they would take the ad price and than you could double your coupon. No you can't do that so much. No one really has ads anymore. Also there was no limit you could use now some stores only let you use two coupons. I don't know it like I used too. The coupons also are not very good in the Sunday paper. Long story short though yes If you can find coupons it's cheaper to buy things at the supermarket especially if your store does double coupons.

^

And easier to do it online with Kroger.

They email me coupons every week.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    No one really has ads anymore.
    That's not really true unless you are only thinking about printed ads going out with a newspaper. I shop at Homeland and look at the ads on their website every week before going shopping. They also have printed copies of the ad available to pick up at the store.

Very few grocery coupons in the Sunday paper anymore compared to a few years ago. I rarely go to the store with even a single coupon where I used to always have some.

Wife been using Kroger the last few weeks and is very pleased. Product and price have been good, and the service feels (for some reason) a little smoother

I don't do grocery delivery much but with Kroger offering 15.00 off first three deliveries and my AMEX offering 20.00 off x 3 deliveries I thought I would give it a go. First two delivery went well no issues. The final there was an issue with an out of stock item which dropped my balance below the threshold for my credit from AMEX. they did text me to see if I wanted to choose a substitution, but the text came at 3am. SO I tried again and same thing happened, they were out of item and text me at 3 am about substituting. I did write them to let them know and they said if your delivery is before noon you could get text in middle of night while fulfilling orders. They might want to let people know that in advance. but if I were to do delivery again I would consider them as the prices were not overly inflated I don't think.

With tech the way it is today I don't know why websites can't keep track of inventory and let you know when ordering if an item is out of stock. It shouldn't be that difficult to track what comes in and goes out and quantities on hand in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    With tech the way it is today I don't know why websites can't keep track of inventory and let you know when ordering if an item is out of stock. It shouldn't be that difficult to track what comes in and goes out and quantities on hand in real time.
    I think we saw this unfold with Southwest Airlines and their computer infrastructure at the end of the year in 2022 into 2023. Some companies are running on very old systems. I think some clothing stores are in a similar situation. Their systems simply can't keep up in real time.

Target and Walmart seem to be best prepped for this with a massive network of bar codes, distribution centers, and effective online shopping with the money to invest in tracking this. However, smaller local grocers like Crest or Homeland may not have the margins to reflect real time inventory. Amazon seems to be working on this too with their walk out and buy store concept.

A local company like JackBe grocery built their system from the ground up to reflect real time inventory, but took the human shopper variable out to help solve their problem. In other words, a person can't go into JackBe from the time you placed your order and buy up what's on the shelf before an employee can secure your requested item.

I imagine Kroger only having delivery distribution can reflect real time inventory closely like this too.

I know Walmart has their grocery delivery as well as their curbside pick up. I am wondering if Walmart will do any changes to any of say their Neighborhood grocery stores and make a few pickup only or do some other type of format. It seems like they get hit hard with shop lifting. Just a thought for areas that might be in areas of high shop lifting. Also wondering if any other stores are looking at similar formats in the area?

The biggest advantage to pick-up only is much lower overhead.

You don't need nearly as many employees and you can cram the same amount of merchandise in about 1/4th the space which means much less expense to build/lease/heat/cool a building.

The best longer-term business model may be to combine pick-up only with delivery for a fee. The margins are just so low in the grocery business which is why the traditional stores with the related overhead are getting squeezed out.

understand its a low margin business. Add in shop lifting, yah it happens even in Edmond, and it cuts into the bottom line. Also I wonder if the younger generations who are more into buying online for things will buy into the practice of just ordering their groceries like everything else. Another thing as baby boomers age out, then they may also like the idea of just shopping online and having their stuff at their door as they become less mobile but want to stay in their homes. Just thinking in coming years this will be more the norm and less drive to the large box grocery store and walk the isles.

Yeah, what Pete said about overhead.

A warehouse, with no public access, does not lose $$$ from stolen grocery carts (oh horrors what will the street corner beggars stuff their belongings in?)

In addition, there would be savings in rest rooms, cleaning costs, stocking the rest rooms, toilet paper and hand tissue and such, repairs, druggies passing out in them, needles galore, etc etc etc.

Less cost from big parking lots, signage, fancy displays, etc. No silly fake slip and fall customers and lawsuits, etc etc etc.

I think the future belongs to whoever can build a big warehouse for delivery only, but is near a few of their own retail grocery stores for those who want to touch and feel and choose what they buy. Best of both worlds, because that's what people will demand.

I think some kind of a hybrid model would work. Have your warehouse setup for all dry goods and bulk items, with a smaller produce and meat section. I honestly don't care too much what my box of Cheerios looks like, and I don't care how many rows they have of them in the shelf. I do like to look over my fresh items though. Delivered to your car while you shop the fresh items, or loaded in a cart ready for you to push to your car when you are done with your fresh shopping. I would be all over that. If I could make a list of the dry goods I need and have it ready to go, and still have a hands-on experience for the fresh items I would be a customer 100%.

15. Default Re: Kroger

Kroger has the vast majority of the market here in Denver. There are 4 of their stores less than 2 miles and 6 less than 3 miles from my home. Yet they are strongly pushing the parking lot pick-up and delivery models. I haven't seen it in print but when you factor in the cost of union labor and brick/morter, it may be cheaper to NOT have stores (where they are not already located).

Had some business at the Noble County Courthouse in Perry (60 miles North of OKC) today and as I was nearing town, I got behind a Kroger delivery truck. The court clerk said they started delivering to Perry about 6 months ago.

^^ hence the I35 NE OKC location of their warehouse. That's really cool.

Created an account late last night and got groceries delivered about 7:30 this morning...I chose no substitutions and only had a couple items that didn't show up. Will have to look into how refunds work. I suspect I'll be using them every week now.

I used them for the first time and was very impressed.

I ordered about 20 small things yesterday, chose the 7-8 AM window this morning and at 6:59 the bags were on my front porch and I got a text indicating that. They give you the option of having them leave the items per your instructions vs. having to answer the door.

Everything I ordered was there, with no substitutions.

There is an electronic coupon to get $15 off your first 3 orders of $35 or more. Highly, highly recommend.

If I would have gone to a traditional grocery store, I would have spent tons of time wandering up and down aisles looking for all these things with absolutely nobody to help... Then, stand is some annoying check-out line.

I really like that all the charges are included when you check out and there is no tipping allowed (which means they pay their employees properly). The standard delivery fee is $6.95.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I used them for the first time and was very impressed.

I ordered about 20 small things yesterday, chose the 7-8 AM window this morning and at 6:59 the bags were on my front porch and I got a text indicating that. They give you the option of having them leave the items per your instructions vs. having to answer the door.

Everything I ordered was there, with no substitutions.

There is an electronic coupon to get $15 off your first 3 orders of $35 or more. Highly, highly recommend.

If I would have gone to a traditional grocery store, I would have spent tons of time wandering up and down aisles looking for all these things with absolutely nobody to help... Then, stand is some annoying check-out line.

I really like that all the charges are included when you check out and there is no tipping allowed (which means they pay their employees properly). The standard delivery fee is $6.95.
    Their yearly package is really nice too, it's about $60 for the year and move you to no delivery fee. It pays for itself in 10 weeks if you utilize the service weekly.

^

And for $100 a year, you can get unlimited orders over $35 within 2 hours.

If I bought more groceries, I'd be all over that. That's almost quicker than you can run to the store yourself.

Homeland's removal of Boar's Head and using Dietz & Watson was the last straw for us, and Target's grocery shopping was dismal (no basic Glide Floss or basic Kleenex brand, etc. - 50th/May store), so we tried Kroger this week. They know how to do it - ordered about 25 things from all "aisles" and they were only out of 1, and they hit their delivery window, definitely the most promising option going forward (along with Sprouts for stuff we have to see/touch to buy), and since we do grocery shopping weekly, we're most likely going to get the $59 annual option.

Schwan's, on the other hand, is pathetic - first order didn't come on the scheduled day because the truck had problems and couldn't finish the route (they got it to us eventually). Ordered a second time, scheduled for Wed delivery and they forgot to load the order on the truck, but told us it would be rescheduled to today after 3 PM. Got an email saying our order was cancelled, but we didn't do it and they had no explanation why. Amazing they've been around since 1952 if this is any indication of their service, never going to use them again...

^

I'm a big fan of Kroger delivery.

Used them a few times now and they always have everything I want and drop it right on my porch well within the chosen window.

Considering springing for the $59 annual fee because then you can get things within 2 hours rather than the next day. And since delivery is $6.95, only takes 10 a year to pay for itself.

That $59 annual fee does seem pretty tempting, I could see myself using it at least 10 times a year.

I've used Kroger Delivery numerous times and have actually seen the driver waiting outside my house for my delivery window. They seem to have the system down and are really nice as well.

Thread Information