Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Development of property south of Crest at SW 104th?

South OKC Development of property south of Crest at SW 104th?

We've seen stakes, surveying, and core samples being taken on the vacant land south of Crest Foods at S.W. 104th and S. May Ave.

Anyone hear what's going in there?

Default Re: Development of property south of Crest at SW 104th?

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Took a look at Cleveland County assessor records for that parcel and it shows no new changes in ownership. No new OKC building permits along May or 104th in that area, either.

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    We've seen stakes, surveying, and core samples being taken on the vacant land south of Crest Foods at S.W. 104th and S. May Ave.

Anyone hear what's going in there?
    Not absolutely certain this is the same spot, but, a friend was told by the McD's manager in front of Crest, it was to be a site of a Chick-Fil-A.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Not absolutely certain this is the same spot, but, a friend was told by the McD's manager in front of Crest, it was to be a site of a Chick-Fil-A.
    Please be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Please be true.
    That McD's staff is the source of a lot of rumors about that corner. They were telling someone else that a DQ/DunkinDonuts was going in on the other side of Starbucks...no idea if true or false..

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    That McD's staff is the source of a lot of rumors about that corner. They were telling someone else that a DQ/DunkinDonuts was going in on the other side of Starbucks...no idea if true or false..
    I'd be cool with a DQ as well. I have a feeling regardless if they are true, new stuff is still coming to this area rather it be by Crest or Walmart.

I'd be cool with a DQ as well. I have a feeling regardless if they are true, new stuff is still coming to this area rather it be by Crest or Walmart.
    I have to believe that LARGE parcel to the south of Crest will get...something eventually. Heck that was where the WalMart was supposed to go a few years ago. Sure wish we could get a Cheddar's in that area.

I have to believe that LARGE parcel to the south of Crest will get...something eventually. Heck that was where the WalMart was supposed to go a few years ago. Sure wish we could get a Cheddar's in that area.
    I'm with you there Dave.

Truthfully I wish this area would hurry up and just be done, that way the construction is at least over and I know what to expect as far as traffic is concerned. The way they have done that intersection at 104th and I44 is terrible. Not sure who thought all those lights would be a great idea, but I can't tell you how many times it seems like everyone is just sitting at the intersection and no on is going.

9. Default Re: Development of property south of Crest at SW 104th?

I'm with you there Dave.

Truthfully I wish this area would hurry up and just be done, that way the construction is at least over and I know what to expect as far as traffic is concerned. The way they have done that intersection at 104th and I44 is terrible. Not sure who thought all those lights would be a great idea, but I can't tell you how many times it seems like everyone is just sitting at the intersection and no on is going.
    Then there are those assholes who decide to sit in the right lane going Westbound expecting you to turn onto I44S and try to cut in front of you before the Portland light and get all pissed off at you and flip you off because you dared to go straight and thought you would let them in even though you have priority since it is your lane. I have had this happen to me a few times.

It was bound to be developed. It is listed for commercial; don't expect apartments. Would love to have a Charleston's, but with Pub W across the street, highly unlikely.

Thinking it may look like the strip center across the street. That seems to be the preferred building style. Nothing unique or creative.

However, that area could use and support another Panera--if they wouldn't put a drive-thru to extend out on May like the line does on 104th east of Penn!

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    It was bound to be developed. It is listed for commercial; don't expect apartments. Would love to have a Charleston's, but with Pub W across the street, highly unlikely.

Thinking it may look like the strip center across the street. That seems to be the preferred building style. Nothing unique or creative.

However, that area could use and support another Panera--if they wouldn't put a drive-thru to extend out on May like the line does on 104th east of Penn!
    On the contrary - I think the presence and obvious success of the Pub W speaks to the unsatisfied demand for a nicer restaurant in that area, very much like a Charleston's (or as is my constant harangue, Cheddar's, which I realize isn't exactly the same target market). I think demand for the entire area is vastly understated.

No way they'll put a Panera only one mile away from an existing, successful location - though I realize that drive-through at the Chatenay location is a joke of poor design and I'm stunned the city approved it. The only way they'd put in a Panera in there is if they moved the existing one, and I can't fathom they'd move a location they just put so much $$ into.

I've heard confusing reports on who actually owns those outparcels near Crest. On the one hand, I've heard that Crest put the kibosh on a Chili's that was going to go in where the Starbucks is being built, but on the other hand I didn't think Crest owned that property?? The land records for Cleveland County show some LLC as owners of that big parcel to the south. I'm wondering if a large land transaction is underway and just not yet official, as survey stakes and utility demarcation flags have gone up throughout that area. I could be mistaken, but I think that parcel is something on the order of 23 acres??

Blog Entries

I have a feeling that if you don't get the restaurant you want on this corner, wait until both sides of the service rd take off 1 mile to the west of I-44, between 89th and 104th. I am hoping for a Cheddars, Charlestons, or Interurban... .or all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by BLJR View Post
    I have a feeling that if you don't get the restaurant you want on this corner, wait until both sides of the service rd take off 1 mile to the west of I-44, between 89th and 104th. I am hoping for a Cheddars, Charlestons, or Interurban... .or all of the above.
    I hope so as well.

Welp, color me officially depressed about any future retail at SW 104th and May. Just saw a permit for 10801 S May for a nursing home.

Please, please, someone go look up that permit and tell me I've misread it.

Welp, color me officially depressed about any future retail at SW 104th and May. Just saw a permit for 10801 S May for a nursing home.

Hopefully once the area around the new Walmart starts to infill, we get some restaurant options over there.

ugh... looks like you're right. definitely not my first choice. honestly, though, that piece of land would be pretty tricky to fill given the adjoining neighborhood. i could see a retail strip working along may but there'd be resistance from the adjoining neighborhood for pretty much anything built to the west along earlywine blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    ugh... looks like you're right. definitely not my first choice. honestly, though, that piece of land would be pretty tricky to fill given the adjoining neighborhood. i could see a retail strip working along may but there'd be resistance from the adjoining neighborhood for pretty much anything built to the west along earlywine blvd.
    Yeah the configuration of Earlywine Blvd in there is really peculiar. I initially thought the developer would cut in small cul-de-sacs and plat out home 2 lots each, very similar to what they did in an addition a bit farther east with a somewhat similar configuration. I realize now they just didn't own that land.

I surely thought we'd get at least one more nice restaurant or something on that tract of land. So much potential there, and it's just going to go to waste. Very, very disappointing.

Hopefully once the area around the new Walmart starts to infill, we get some restaurant options over there.
    I was hoping we'd have already seen some infill; as of now, all we have is a Chicken Express building permit from last November that's gone nowhere, and the hope of a wonderful new Car Wash. Restrain my joy. (that's sarcasm, btw).

My son tells me that from his network of friends there are rumblings of Lowe's putting in a place over there, but I don't know if they'd really plan to keep that and the I-240 location. Given that the scuttlebutt was that WM wanted to shutter their Santa Fe location when 104th opened, it makes me wonder if perhaps the future of both those locations is in question. Heck, I won't even get started on the (lack of) development along the new, realigned Portland - absolutely *zilch* has happened there. *sigh*

Maybe it's one of those hip new bar concepts. Insert new hip joke here.

I was hoping we'd have already seen some infill; as of now, all we have is a Chicken Express building permit from last November that's gone nowhere, and the hope of a wonderful new Car Wash. Restrain my joy. (that's sarcasm, btw).

My son tells me that from his network of friends there are rumblings of Lowe's putting in a place over there, but I don't know if they'd really plan to keep that and the I-240 location. Given that the scuttlebutt was that WM wanted to shutter their Santa Fe location when 104th opened, it makes me wonder if perhaps the future of both those locations is in question. Heck, I won't even get started on the (lack of) development along the new, realigned Portland - absolutely *zilch* has happened there. *sigh*
    I had made a comment in the Portland thread (Lariat Landing) and according to the guy that works at the airport, there was never any major plans of that being retail. I believe there were a couple of sections mostly around the 89th and 74th intersections where there would be some minor retail, probably C-Stores, but other than that the majority is set to be aviation related. So don't expect that to be anything anytime soon.

I really think Walmart can keep both stores open. I'd be a little leery about 2 Lowes that close, with the one in Mustang not that much further (that's actually the one I go to). It's possible they could pull enough from Newcastle to make it sustainable though. I'm still hoping we get a couple decent restaurants. I remember seeing some permitting for a large area by that Walmart, but I don't think anything's ever come from it.

I had made a comment in the Portland thread (Lariat Landing) and according to the guy that works at the airport, there was never any major plans of that being retail. I believe there were a couple of sections mostly around the 89th and 74th intersections where there would be some minor retail, probably C-Stores, but other than that the majority is set to be aviation related. So don't expect that to be anything anytime soon.
    Then color me confused. I thought I had seem some earlier renderings for that area which showed a semi-urban shopping concept, along with at least one anchor hotel, and some clear discussion that while the intent was to leverage aviation business, there was also the desire to attract restaurants, destinations, et al to the area....

I really think Walmart can keep both stores open. I'd be a little leery about 2 Lowes that close, with the one in Mustang not that much further (that's actually the one I go to). It's possible they could pull enough from Newcastle to make it sustainable though. I'm still hoping we get a couple decent restaurants. I remember seeing some permitting for a large area by that Walmart, but I don't think anything's ever come from it.
    Yeah two Lowe's that close (and I hadn't thought about Mustang) makes me suspicious.

I just wish the fill-in along the I-44 east side north of WalMart weren't Taking So Long. It was over a year ago - perhaps more (?) we were talking about some things like Whataburger and PetSmart heading that way..so far, nada other than BWW.

Then color me confused. I thought I had seem some earlier renderings for that area which showed a semi-urban shopping concept, along with at least one anchor hotel, and some clear discussion that while the intent was to leverage aviation business, there was also the desire to attract restaurants, destinations, et al to the area....

Yeah two Lowe's that close (and I hadn't thought about Mustang) makes me suspicious.

I just wish the fill-in along the I-44 east side north of WalMart weren't Taking So Long. It was over a year ago - perhaps more (?) we were talking about some things like Whataburger and PetSmart heading that way..so far, nada other than BWW.
    I had thought the same exact thing. I think they changed their scope. I'll attach their newest rendering and you can see in it, the 2 red spots on it are it now. This area was originally spun as a new hospitality corridor, and I know I have the original document from way back in the day where it should what you and I seem to remember, but I'd have to do some digging.

As far as Lowe's, I'm really doubting they open a new one. I could eventually some strip centers and fast food, but I'm guessing that's the extent. Nothing outlandish. But if we could get one maybe 2 decent sit down restaurants, I'd be happy.

20992741_1733985240236038_6776370241860626689_n.jpg

Dave I went back through the old threads, and all the links are now dead, they've done a good job scrubbing all this old stuff, but I was able to find one image that does somewhat show where there was more retail, office, and industrial proposed. I imagine once they found out about Walmart across the street they knew that was going to be the new retail development, and scaled back to focus on aviation. Makes sense, just somewhat unfortunate.

lariat_landing_postcard_11-11c-2.jpg

I had thought the same exact thing. I think they changed their scope. I'll attach their newest rendering and you can see in it, the 2 red spots on it are it now. This area was originally spun as a new hospitality corridor, and I know I have the original document from way back in the day where it should what you and I seem to remember, but I'd have to do some digging.

As far as Lowe's, I'm really doubting they open a new one. I could eventually some strip centers and fast food, but I'm guessing that's the extent. Nothing outlandish. But if we could get one maybe 2 decent sit down restaurants, I'd be happy.

20992741_1733985240236038_6776370241860626689_n.jpg
    OMIGOSH!!! That's ENTIRELY different from what I'd heard originally pitched. There's virtually NOTHING even planned for the southern part of Portland extending ALL THE WAY to 104th! I have to believe they couldn't find a developer or perhaps a developer couldn't get the tenants or something. There's no way my recollection could be THAT wrong, (at least I hope there isn't). Heck, I remember them talking about this as a way to "reinvent" or "refocus" that I-240 shopping corridor to the NE....but not with that plan. No way.

man, that's a double-shot of depressing. Maybe even a triple. Nothing on Portland, next-to-nothing at 104th and I-44, and a nursing home behind Crest. Gee whiz. From so much potential to...so little.

I do know that some ownership group pushed *hard* for the construction of a nice hotel along the north edge of the I-44/new WalMart corridor, but apparently couldn't find any takers. It frustrates me mightily to see things that are successful, yet that success somehow doesn't/isn't translating to more such development.

Dave I went back through the old threads, and all the links are now dead, they've done a good job scrubbing all this old stuff, but I was able to find one image that does somewhat show where there was more retail, office, and industrial proposed. I imagine once they found out about Walmart across the street they knew that was going to be the new retail development, and scaled back to focus on aviation. Makes sense, just somewhat unfortunate.

lariat_landing_postcard_11-11c-2.jpg
    Wow. I mean, wow. I am now Officially Depressed.

Thread Information