Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Were the defunct places we miss really that great?

Default Re: Were the defunct places we miss really that great?

Some places really have gone down in quality. Others were never all that good, but we didn't know any better because lack of options. And then there are those places where we were at a specific time in our lives, and that changes how we think about those places.

I was introduced to Pizza Shuttle and Papa Johns at the same time, when I was 18 and a freshman in the dorms at OU. I remember thinking that Papa Johns was "really good, but really expensive", while Pizza Shuttle was "pretty good, and cheap". Previous to this, my standard for really good pizza was mid-90s Dominoes, so you can see that I really didn't know any better. We ordered Pizza Shuttle a lot, because you could stuff yourself for next to nothing. You could dig up enough change in your car to get Pizza Shuttle. Papa Johns was for those times I was flush with cash and wanted to splurge.

I'll still get Papa Johns on occasion, but there are so many better options (Old Chicago has much better pizza if I'm looking for a chain), I really only get it if I'm craving that garlic butter. I haven't dared to try Pizza Shuttle since I left college. I'm pretty sure I don't want what it would do to my stomach. Still, I've got good memories of that place. The fun that I had while eating their pizza was real. Those memories really happened. It's the quality of the food itself that was an illusion. But in many ways the food quality is secondary to the events surrounding the food.

We ate at Taco Tico when I was a kid. I remember thinking it was the best Mexican food ever. I tried it again maybe a year or two ago (there's one still open in Shawnee). I drove all the way out there just to try it. It's just a fast food taco. Not really all that good. I don't know if me as an 8 year old just had bad taste in Mexican food, or if the quality has actually decreased. The store in Shawnee wasn't really very clean, and one of the people working there was a former client who had neck tattoos and had done some time in prison. Maybe it was always that quality, and I was just too young to know any better. Or with it being one of the last surviving stores, maybe it has gone downhill. I don't think I have a way to measure it. On the other hand, I'm a Del City boy, and Canton Palace there has definitely gone down in quality. I've eaten there consistently enough to notice that the food is not quite what it used to be. So there are certainly some instances of places slipping.

I do believe that we've got far better dining options today than we ever had before. We've got some serious first class dining options available in OKC today. We have far more options and much higher quality than existed even 20 years ago, much less back in the 60s and 70s (disclaimer, wasn't alive for most of those decades). Part of that is due to being a bigger city, and part of that is due to the growing "foodie" culture.

Leo's Peking Place in stillwater was as good as I remember it to be. Their food was different and I have not found another Chinese restaurant that is similar. I've found some that are as good, but they are nothing like Leo's.

3. Default Re: Were the defunct places we miss really that great?

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    We ate at Taco Tico when I was a kid. I remember thinking it was the best Mexican food ever. I tried it again maybe a year or two ago (there's one still open in Shawnee).
    Nope. Closed in December 2016.... There are still Taco Ticos in Duncan and Claremore.

I tried the Sancho at the Shawnee location and it wasn't as good as I remembered eating in Hutchinson, KS as a kid.... I remembered them being toasted a little and the one in Shawnee was more like a burrito with lettuce.

4. Default Re: Were the defunct places we miss really that great?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^
    I worked at Pizza Hut when I was in high school (in the eighties) and learned to either put my uniform straight into the laundry when I got home or to leave them in my car (which stunk because of it). We always assumed it was the onions, though it wasn't a specific onion smell.
    I worked at Casa Bonita. Mom made me take my clothes off outside the back door and leave them outside on the porch. And of course my shoes never saw the inside of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Despite everything I just posted, I can relate to that.

In fact, I remember going to a debut listening party for Depeche Mode's Violator album at the old Stark Club (it was called something different by then) in Dallas.

This was 1989/90 and still no internet so this is how things were done. And I was blown away and that album remains among my very favorites. The anticipation and setting certainly played into all that.

However, I bought lots of bad music back in the day, based on one song I had heard or a music review I had read. And no returns!

And it took me forever to find bands like REM, The Smiths and some of my all-time favorites because there was simply no way to hear them in OKC. By the time I moved to California in 1990, I had a huge backlog of music to buy and digest because I finally had access to things like KROQ and it was a seemingly un-ending flow of great stuff that had been out for a while and I had simply never heard.
    There are a lot of great advancements these days. Like you said, you can find most things on YouTube and give it a listen before you buy. You can buy just one song off of an album and it doesn't even have to be a single. And it truly is better, but the nostalgia in me kind of misses talking with the dudes who worked at Rainbow and turned me on to new and different artists. The feeling of "discovering" a band few others know about. In lieu of not being able to hear that stuff on radio in OKC, I watched 120 Minutes on Sunday nights on Mtv as well as Postmodern Mtv. KSPI the Spy could have some good stuff too if you were in the right part of the city and got it to come in on your car radio. But not hearing it on OKC radio also made me feel that I was privy to something not everyone got to hear. It was kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    In lieu of not being able to hear that stuff on radio in OKC, I watched 120 Minutes on Sunday nights on Mtv as well as Postmodern Mtv.
    Those shows were my salvation in the mid 80's. I would stay up late and take notes, then buy music accordingly.

I also used to watch Soul Train on Saturday afternoons as that as another resource for music you couldn't otherwise hear, although a completely different genre.

Those were the good ol' days!!

7. Default Re: Were the defunct places we miss really that great?

I also used to watch Soul Train on Saturday afternoons as that as another resource for music you couldn't otherwise hear, although a completely different genre.

Those were the good ol' days!!
    I remember watching Soul Train because we only had 4 channels and it was the best thing on any of those 4 channels.... lol

8. Default Re: Were the defunct places we miss really that great?

Taco Tico actually bears little resemblance to what it was in the seventies and 80s, and this includes the recipes. From Wikipedia:

Dan Foley opened the first Taco Tico in 1962,[1] in his native Wichita, Kansas, and began franchising new locations in 1967. The company was a regional hit by 1980.

In 1988, Foley sold the company and chain to a former executive from KFC. The meat recipe, which gave Taco Tico tacos their unique flavor, was changed at that time. The meat, at that time, was sent to the stores in frozen tubes from the main distribution center. The new flavoring was unpopular and Taco Tico has since switched back to the original.

As of 2014, there are locations throughout the Midwest and Southeastern states. Newer buildings are adobe with teal-green and orange awnings, signs, and trim.

On March 5, 2013, 10 restaurants were closed by the Kansas Department of Revenue for failure to remit $434,939.23 in sales tax.[2] The restaurants were later reopened after a bankruptcy filing and a deal between Ajax International Group and the Kansas Department of Revenue.[3] Three independently-franchised locations were unaffected by the closure or bankruptcy filing.

On July 11, 2013, The State of Kansas re-closed 10 Taco-Tico franchises for failure to pay state taxes.[4]

Three remaining Wichita-area Taco Tico restaurants closed in August and September 2013.[5]

On February 5, 2014, the new owner reopened one of the former Wichita, KS locations (13th Street & Tyler Road), with plans to open at least four more stores in Wichita by the end of 2014.[6] Stores have also reopened in Arkansas City, Augusta, Derby, and Newton, KS.

On October 25, 2014, one of the closed locations in Topeka, KS reopened after being purchased by new owners.[7]

As of October 2016, fourteen Taco Tico locations remain in the United States. [8]

^

Despite everything I just posted, I can relate to that.

In fact, I remember going to a debut listening party for Depeche Mode's Violator album at the old Stark Club (it was called something different by then) in Dallas.

This was 1989/90 and still no internet so this is how things were done. And I was blown away and that album remains among my very favorites. The anticipation and setting certainly played into all that.

However, I bought lots of bad music back in the day, based on one song I had heard or a music review I had read. And no returns!

And it took me forever to find bands like REM, The Smiths and some of my all-time favorites because there was simply no way to hear them in OKC. By the time I moved to California in 1990, I had a huge backlog of music to buy and digest because I finally had access to things like KROQ and it was a seemingly un-ending flow of great stuff that had been out for a while and I had simply never heard.
    Man, I feel sorry for you, you needed a good record guy. I got hooked up with Scott Booker (and the jazz guy and another guy that worked there, can't remember their names, though) way back at Rainbow, and we all hit it off WRT what we liked, what we knew each other liked, and it all worked out to everybody's advantage - they sold stuff, I bought stuff that I liked. Same thing happened with Jim at Size - we knew each other's tastes so well, we found *tons* of great music together...

I do, however, find good stuff online, as you mentioned in your earlier post, but it can get tedious (I'm jaded, though, listened to so much music over the decades that it's hard for me to find someone unique enough to be interested in), even if it works out sometimes. I also still read actual books, listen to actual records, and watch actual DVDs (and sometimes VHS tapes) so I'm not normal.

10. Default Re: Were the defunct places we miss really that great?

Since McDonald's has been in the discussion here.... McDonaldland..... Mayor McCheese, Hamilton B. Urglar (Hamburglar), Grimace, The Fry Gobblins, Captain Crook, Officer Big Mac...... I know some of those characters still show up on the playgrounds but do kids even know who they are these days. I know they haven't been used in advertising for years.

11. Default Re: Were the defunct places we miss really that great?

^^^^^^
    I read a really interesting article on this a few weeks ago: http://mentalfloss.com/article/69989...uit-it-spawned

If you visited an older, well-established McDonald’s franchise during the latter part of the 1990s—specifically one of the corporation’s two-story restaurants boasting a “McDonald’s PlayLand”—you may have noticed some odd shapes and unfamiliar characters featured on the playground’s equipment. This was long before ball pits: The cornerstone of many a PlayLand (today referred to as a "PlayPlace") was a huge blue-painted tower, topped by a pod that approximated a Big Mac sandwich with painted eyes and a hat that functioned as a climb-in jail, and an assortment of individual carousel horses sporting the head of a hamburger, a Filet-O-Fish sandwich, or other colorful craniums reminiscent of shaggy pom-poms with large, soulful eyes.

These outdated PlayLands featured aspects (or integrated whole character pieces) of characters from “McDonaldland”: A mass-market television campaign, launched in 1971, that established a fictional universe which was inhabited by Ronald McDonald and his comrades. Although advertising then was chock-full of colorful characters like Ronald McDonald—this was, after all, around the time that Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble began hawking Pebbles, and the Kool-Aid man started busting through walls—concocting an entire fictional world for the purpose of selling a product was a different story. This ingeniously effective format targeted kids at a very early age, introducing them to various McDonald’s menu items with the assistance of friendly mascots beyond Ronald McDonald—a character that, according to McDonald’s, “is second only to Santa Claus in terms of [brand] recognition … 96% of all schoolchildren in the United States of America recognize Ronald.”

COOKING UP MCDONALDLAND
    In 1970-71, at the behest of the McDonald’s Corporation, the advertising agency Needham, Harper & Steers created a fantastic imaginary world they dubbed McDonaldland, and a cast of characters to populate it: Officer Big Mac, Grimace (a revision of a character who was once a four-armed villain), the Hamburglar, Mayor McCheese, the [Mad] Professor, Captain Crook and, of course, Ronald McDonald. The agency generated these characters and their world out of essentially nothing, using the McDonaldland Brand Specification Manual.

THE TOYS

It’s probably no surprise that a line of toys would follow McDonald’s uber-successful ad campaign. In 1976, Remco (then a subsidiary of Azrak-Hamway International) produced a line of 6-inch-tall action figures to celebrate the iconic McDonaldland characters.

Remco was infamous for cobbling together inferior action figures in record time, but the McDonaldland action figures stood out against the company’s simple fare. The fully poseable dolls had multi-piece cloth outfits with stenciled and dyed fabric details, hard and soft plastic outfit accoutrements, and, with the exception of Grimace and Ronald, an interesting character-specific accessory. (Officer Big Mac had a badge, for example, while Mayor McCheese came with glasses and a sash.) Each toy also included a small protruding lever on its back that, when manipulated, would cause the character’s head to bob up-and-down or side-to-side (for all except Grimace). The high-quality pieces were Remco’s crowning achievement during the 1970s.

Ronald McDonald
    McDonald's primary mascot, a proud inhabitant of the fantasy world of McDonaldland, Ronald was first created and portrayed by television personality Willard Scott in 1963. Scott (a local radio host who also played Bozo the Clown on WRC-TV in Washington D.C. from 1959 to 1962) performed while using the name “Ronald McDonald, the Hamburger-Happy Clown” in three television commercials.

Ronald’s Remco action figure had high-quality rooted red hair and a body with red limbs, painted red hands, non-removable oversized shoes and molded socks. He wore a yellow clown jumpsuit with red-and-white-striped sleeves and non-removable dickey that had three functional vinyl pockets, and the jumpsuit could be snapped on or removed.

Officer Big Mac
    With a double-decker head based on what would one day become the most iconic fast food sandwich in history—the McDonaldland advertising campaign was established in 1971, a mere three years after the Big Mac sandwich was introduced nationally—Remco’s Officer Big Mac was dressed to resemble a member of the Keystone Cops and replicated the silent film stars’ incompetence. As McDonaldland’s Chief of Police, Officer Big Mac’s appointed task was to prevent Captain Crook and the Hamburglar from stealing Filet-O-Fish and hamburger sandwiches, respectively.

The head of the Remco action figure was rendered in a soft plastic similar to that of a squeaky toy, and came with a silver whistle; plastic belt with the “M” logo; blue overcoat with decorative silver buttons and a hemmed collar; blue pants with elastic waistband and cuffs; and a silver fabric “star” label. Although the costume was removable, the character’s shoes were not, so anyone undressing the figure would have to take care—the delicate fabric tended to snag and pull.

Captain Crook (a.k.a. The Captain)
    Based on the designs of Disney’s Captain Hook from Peter Pan (1953), Captain Crook was one of the two major adversaries of McDonaldland (along with the Hamburglar), who—as a seafaring villain—was obsessed with stealing Filet-O-Fish sandwiches. Eventually, his surname was dropped, his personality mellowed, and the character became known simply as “The Captain”—like the Hamburglar, his sinister countenance was modified to make his appearance seem more kid-friendly. As was the case with many of these characters, Captain Crook was eliminated from advertisements during the 1980s when the concept of McDonaldland was streamlined.

His Remco action figure came with a soft plastic orange sword (removable); a removable bircorne pirate’s hat with golden trim and a golden C (for Captain); a coat with lace cuffs, a lace ascot, hard plastic brown epaulets, and a two-piece removable dickey; and removable breeches with cuffs and an elastic waistband. The figure has one non-removable gold earring in its right ear.

Grimace
    Originally sporting four arms and designed to be an adversary of Ronald McDonald, Grimace’s initial manifestation was quite different from the sweet, child-friendly dullard we grew to love in the ‘70s and ‘80s. Renowned for beginning each sentence with the word “duh,” both versions of Grimace are quite fond of McDonald’s Triple Thick Milkshakes. The latter, friendlier form of Grimace was retained by McDonald’s even after the corporation shut down their McDonaldland advertising campaign. He stuck around for decades, until approximately 2003.

Remco’s Grimace action figure wasn’t constructed of solid plastic like the other dolls. Instead, the doll had a furred purple felt outer body, with innards similar to the polystyrene material found inside of a bean bag. Calling Remco’s Grimace an “action figure” is a bit of a stretch, since the toy had very limited poseability: His arms and hands were flaps of furred purple felt, while his hard-plastic purple feet allowed him to stand. Even his expression—rendered by hard plastic eyebrows, eyes, and a mouth—was immobile.

Hamburglar
    Initially called “The Lone Jogger,” the Hamburgular’s personality traits and design changed quite a bit over the course of the three decades during which he existed (like Grimace, he was retired in 2003). Originally, this character was a truly frightening scoundrel with stringy grey hair and a menacing black mask and cape; McDonald’s decided to soften the character’s disposition in order to make his personality more palatable for children. Throughout the years, however, the essence of McDonaldland’s preeminent villain remained the same: a compulsive criminal obsessed with burgling hamburgers.

With his mischievous grin, pair of prominent, rat-like central incisors, short stature, pointed nose, and peculiar clothing, the Hamburglar action figure’s early design sold quite well for Remco. The figure wore a removable striped convict outfit, polka-dotted plastic tie, and soft plastic hat brim (the top of his hat was molded atop his head, and the thin, round, plastic brim slid around it). In the early 1970s, the Hamburglar’s characteristic speech patterns were absolutely unintelligible to anyone but Captain Crook, who was kind enough to translate for the inhabitants of McDonaldland. Eventually, the Hamburglar would issue forth an occasional exclamation of “Robble, robble!”

The Professor
    Originally known as the “Mad” Professor, in early appearances the character rarely spoke and functioned as a second-tier, background personality. Later in the McDonaldland campaign (around 1973 to 1975), the bearded and bespectacled Professor appeared more often and spoke in a high-pitched, excitable, academic manner about his latest zany invention—usually a device created to preserve the well-being of the good citizens of McDonaldland.

In the 1970s, the character appeared as a prototypical absent-minded scientist (note the two pairs of glasses molded onto the action figure’s head; one pair he wears, while the other is balanced on his forehead). He sported long, thinning gray hair with a full gray beard, and wore a long white lab coat featuring pockets bursting with tools and implements. The lab coat has two front pockets that could indeed hold items, but instead (to save money on tooling and plastic) the toy company decided to create thin fabric stickers with two-dimensional images of tools, which were factory-applied to draw attention to these bulging pockets. The action figure came with a silver wrench and a removable, two-piece red scarf.

In the 1980s, the Professor’s physical appearance was entirely reconfigured into a much sweeter, more kid-friendly scientist. Slightly balding with short white hair, a Franz Joseph-style beard, and black glasses worn over a pair of excited bright eyes, the newer Professor was largely unrecognizable from his previously established version of the 1970s.

Mayor McCheese
    The iconic Mayor McCheese, who had a cheeseburger as a head, functioned as the unequivocally incompetent head of McDonaldland’s government. Regardless of which actor provided his voice in the McDonaldland commercials, the superbly quirky delivery for Mayor McCheese was directly based upon the late comedian Ed Wynn, who provided the voice for the Mad Hatter in Disney's Alice in Wonderland.

The Remco Mayor McCheese doll comes complete with a bevy of impressive accessories, including removable yellow pince nez glasses; a removable purple sash emblazoned with the letter M; a fuschia tuxedo jacket with soft white plastic lapels; a removable soft white plastic flower with faux pearl; and a pinstripe sleeveless tuxedo jumpsuit with attached yellow vest.

THE PLAYSET

To complement these seven figures, Remco also made a superbly detailed McDonaldland playset, which even came with its own stationery (above). “Welcome to the fun and excitement of McDonaldland,” the back of the box read. “There’s so much to do”:

"The gathering place for Ronald McDonald and all the McDonaldland characters. Take a ride on the colorful wind up train featuring a Locomotive, Passenger Car and a Hamburglar Paddy Wagon, also seven pieces of track and a Stop-N-Go Signal Switch. Play with the swing on the enchanting Apple Pie Tree. Cross the Filet-O-Fish Lake via the Golden Arches Bridge. Put Ronald on stilts for real clown fun. Serve a tray with McDonald’s hamburger and drink at the famous McDonald’s Family Restaurant. All this on a 28 ½” x 30” Playland surface enhanced by an 11” colorful backdrop. Words for the ‘McFavorite Clown Song’ are printed on the play surface. Special McDonald’s Letterland Stationery included for personal messages. All plastic parts molded of strong, safe, non-toxic materials. Surely THE fun place to be.”

Today, it’s nearly impossible to find this playset unbroken, intact, and complete with all of its many delicate pieces and parts that were prominently featured in McDonald’s advertising campaign.

Compare Remco’s playset to the corporate image of the real-world fantasyland as built by Needham, Harper & Steers and taken from the McDonaldland Specification Manual. Remco’s set is astonishingly well-rendered.

THE LAWSUITS
    It didn't take long for McDonaldland to come under attack. Mayor McCheese possessed a number of similarities to another personality created by producers Sid and Marty Krofft: H.R. Pufnstuf, who featured prominently on Saturday morning lineups from 1969 to 1973. Both McCheese and Pufnstuf were rendered as live-action, life-sized puppets with ridiculously large heads, and both had mayoral sashes as heads of their respective governments. (And while McCheese had an M or "mayor" written on his sash, Pufnstuf had a medal which hung down from the cummerbund and said "mayor.")

The similarities didn’t end with the characters. Just as Mayor McCheese lived in McDonaldland, H.R. Pufnstuf inhabited his own imaginary realm, Living Island. Both fantasylands were comprised of similarly-rendered “magical” creatures, buildings, and backgrounds—which made sense, since Sid and Marty Krofft had been consulted by Needham, Harper & Steers before they landed the McDonald's account. According to the Krofft's lawsuit,

"In early 1970, Marty Krofft ... was contacted by an executive from Needham, Harper & Steers, Inc., an advertising agency. He was told that Needham was attempting to get the advertising account of McDonald's hamburger restaurant chain and wanted to base a proposed campaign to McDonald's on the H. R. Pufnstuf characters. The executive wanted to know whether the Kroffts would be interested in working with Needham on a project of this type.

Needham and the Kroffts were in contact by telephone six or seven more times. By a letter dated August 31, 1970, Needham stated it was going forward with the idea of a McDonaldland advertising campaign based on the H. R. Pufnstuf series. It acknowledged the need to pay the Kroffts a fee for preparing artistic designs and engineering plans. Shortly thereafter, Marty Krofft telephoned Needham only to be told that the advertising campaign had been cancelled."

Unbeknownst to them, Needham had won the McDonald’s contract and was hiring former employees of the Kroffts, including their main voice actor.

So in 1971, the Kroffts, believing that McDonald’s characters were based directly upon their own life-sized puppets, engaged in a series of legal battles with the McDonald’s corporation. In the midst of the conflict—a full five years after the Kroffts began pursuing litigation—Remco was asked to produce the fully-licensed toys for McDonald’s in 1976.

After a six-year battle, the courts ruled in the Kroffts’ favor. In Sid & Marty Krofft Television Productions Inc. v. McDonald's Corp., the plaintiffs proved copyright infringement, showing: a) their ownership of [the] copyrighted work, b) the circumstantial evidence of access to work, and c) that there was a substantial similarity in both idea and expression. “We do not believe that the ordinary reasonable person, let alone a child, viewing these works will even notice that Pufnstuf is wearing a cummerbund while Mayor McCheese is wearing a diplomat’s sash,” the appeals court stated. Predicting the defendant’s appeal based upon the “Look and Feel” defense, the court concluded that McDonald’s had unjustly utilized the “total concept and feel” of the Krofts’ H.R. Pufnstuf program. McDonald’s was required to cease production of (many of) the characters and stop airing television commercials featuring the denizens of McDonaldland. They were also ordered to pay the Kroffts more than $1 million: $6000 for each commercial, $5000 for each promotional item, and $500 for other infringing acts.

Although some of these characters have been gone for nearly 40 years, the action figures survive as collectibles, making regular appearances on eBay. But what happened to the characters? A few years ago, I posed this question to McDonald’s then-Media Center Contact/Corporate Communications and Social Responsibility Team leader, Julie Pottebaum. Here—verbatim—was her reply: “Mayor McCheese and his friends are indeed alive and well, enjoying life in McDonaldland. Ronald McDonald has taken over the mayor’s responsibilities since being appointed Chief Happiness Officer. Ronald McDonald remains front and center, and he reminds us of the kid that lives in all of us.”

12. Default Re: Were the defunct places we miss really that great?

I'd actually suggest clicking the link as the pictures are a blast from the past.

My father worked most of his career at McDonald's. The corporate office gave me a full set of beany babies in 2001 when my first son was born as a baby shower gift, and between my parents and I we have almost every happy meal toy produced from the early 80's to 2005. We also have a good collection of the Remco figures. My mother has a large china cabinet full of them and the happy meal toys displayed in her living room.

At one point my parents even had a McDonald's Conversion Van. Very similar to this one except my parents' had a rotational tv antenna on top, and the wheels had golden arches on them. http://classicvehicleslist.com/ford/...569-miles.html

I basically grew up at McDonald's as I would spend my out of school days there camped out, and spent most of my time reading the Guide to Operations. I pretty much had everything memorized when I started working there at 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I'd actually suggest clicking the link as the pictures are a blast from the past.
    Thanks for sharing that! I'd completely forgotten about the McDonaldland stuff. Is it just me, or do those action figures seem kind of creepy now?

I loved crawling around in Mayor McCheese's head and seeing how fast we could get the merry go round going. The hard metal toys that would knock you silly. The paper thin astro turf that radiated heat. It was all my parents could do to get me to eat all my burger before going to play. Good times, man. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I loved crawling around in Mayor McCheese's head and seeing how fast we could get the merry go round going. The hard metal toys that would knock you silly. The paper thin astro turf that radiated heat. It was all my parents could do to get me to eat all my burger before going to play. Good times, man. Good times.
    Between the McDonald's playland equipment and the rocketship at Stephenson Park in Edmond I honestly don't know how there wasn't an epidemic of tetanus when I was a kid.

Pete,
    Thanks for answering a long time question that I have had about Shakey's and the quality of their food as served today.

Shakey's Pizza in OKC was one of those stand out places from my youth, (Early 60's) and we attended the South Western location regularly. It was quite the event back then. The atmosphere was unique and exciting, and the pizza was, and still is in my mind the standard by which I measure all others. I was quite disappointed in the mid 80's when the profit absorbed owner decided he could do just as well without the Shakey's brand. Needless to say, for a number of reasons, the stores were doomed in short order. (The one in Del City became Round up Pizza and was even featured on a very negative television show!)

Even though there are some decent pizza's to be had, the whole going out for Pizza experience seems to have died about that time. I found a recent article on Retro Ramblings which documents much of the loss with Pizza Hut.

http://retroramblings.com/pizza-hut/

Quote Originally Posted by whorton View Post
    Pete,
    Thanks for answering a long time question that I have had about Shakey's and the quality of their food as served today.

Shakey's Pizza in OKC was one of those stand out places from my youth, (Early 60's) and we attended the South Western location regularly. It was quite the event back then. The atmosphere was unique and exciting, and the pizza was, and still is in my mind the standard by which I measure all others. I was quite disappointed in the mid 80's when the profit absorbed owner decided he could do just as well without the Shakey's brand. Needless to say, for a number of reasons, the stores were doomed in short order. (The one in Del City became Round up Pizza and was even featured on a very negative television show!)

Even though there are some decent pizza's to be had, the whole going out for Pizza experience seems to have died about that time. I found a recent article on Retro Ramblings which documents much of the loss with Pizza Hut.

http://retroramblings.com/pizza-hut/
    Could you tell me exactly where the Shakey's on South Western was located, please?

About 56th or 57th, on the west side of Western

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    About 56th or 57th, on the west side of Western
    Thank you.

i was curious myself and looked it up... according to a 1978 ad in the oklahoman, that shakey's was at 5733 s. western where autozone is now.

22. Default Re: Were the defunct places we miss really that great?

Thanks for the Pizza Hut link. I grew up in Wichita, where Pizza Hut was founded, and when I lived there the HQ was still located there. This was shortly after they sold to PepsiCo to form what was at the time Tricon (Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC), and what is now I think called Yum (some brands like Long John Silvers and A&W have come and gone since).

Anyway in Wichita during my high school years (early-mid 80s) pretty much everyone I knew worked or had worked there at some point. I worked in the oldest store in existence in the world. It was far from being the original Pizza Hut, but it was part of the first wave of the type of stores pictured in that link, and looked pretty much EXACTLY like what is in those photos. Talk about a blast from the past. And that blog is right; it was definitely more of a restaurant experience, including servers rather than counter service. Also, at one point we even served wine.

23. Default Re: Were the defunct places we miss really that great?

^^^

Oh how many times my sister and I annoyed my mother singing "Putt putt too the Pizza Hut" over and over any time we were driving to Hutch.... Whether we were going to the Pizza Hut or not.... lol

24. Default Re: Were the defunct places we miss really that great?

By the way, for those waxing nostalgic about Shakey’s (we had them in Wichita too and I also loved that place), there is a reproduction of a Shakey’s interior inside the banjo museum in Bricktown. The reason being is that the museum credits Shakey’s with a revival of the banjo that continued even after the chain’s demise and even to the present day. It’s cool, but somewhat cruel in that there is everything there but actual pizza.

I preferred Pizza Planet over Pizza Hut. Of course my favorite was and still is Sussy's. I hope it does well in Bricktown. As for Shakey's we really enjoyed their Portugese linguica topping. I don't know if anybody has mentioned it, but Shakey's is still alive in California.
    C. T.

Thread Information