Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The next big affluent neighborhood

Default Re: The next big affluent neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    How do you feel about Classen North Highland Parked? It's still in its early stages of growth but i't smack in between Downtown, the Capitol and OUHSC. Several new homes have been built and many are being rennovated right now; and the Walcourt is about to be rehabbed. Seems like it could be a good place to build/buy.
    And it goes to Wilson Elementary. It is a great area and the last area that is affordable in the Wilson boundaries.

Yeah, school system's are a good point, I bought my place as a "starter home" so I didn't do much research but should have thought about it for resale value. When I was shopping for house out of that square mile (May-Penn & 10th-23rd) I liked Crestwood the best, but there were hardly any homes for sale and they were a solid $30k more than the other neighborhoods. I didn't realize until much later that Crestwood was in a different elementary school district (Cleveland) instead of Hawthorne where Miller, Youngs, etc go.
    Have not noticed any gang issues but I have only been there a year and am several blocks away from the main streets, definitely rather be where I am than where Wheeler Park plans on setting up shop though.
    Overall, I am optimistic about the area- sure wish someone would turn the tire shops and other buildings on 12th into another Plaza though... haha

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    It's def an up and coming area, but problem is progress has been really slow. The Plaza is really active, as well as as Linwood and even Crestwood. I think where you live it is starting ramp up, because both sides are closing in. As long as it's kept in good shape I see not problem with the value continuing to rise. Only thing is in that area people have had rentals there for a long time and probably have no desire to update the property. So you will see a few nice houses followed by one that looks like it's about to fall over. It will take some time, but they will be eventually bought out or pressured to make their property look good.

That being said, not all but a few properties I have shown buyers in that area that we're marketed as "flips", we're just a sham. A true flip is obviously doing cosmetic, but also fixing problems such as foundation issues, plumbing, electrical, ect. Too many flippers, not just there, are doing all the easy cosmetic stuff and expecting to get top dollar. That all comes crashing down when they get hammered during inspections.
    Pretty spot on analysis. Also, I would say it is worth having a structural engineer come look at these old 1920's houses before buying anything.
    Speaking of houses that look like they are about to fall over...https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4828...7i13312!8i6656

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    And it goes to Wilson Elementary. It is a great area and the last area that is affordable in the Wilson boundaries.
    Where might I find a map of school boundaries? I'm looking at the OKC PS website and I can't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Pretty spot on analysis. Also, I would say it is worth having a structural engineer come look at these old 1920's houses before buying anything.
    Speaking of houses that look like they are about to fall over...https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4828...7i13312!8i6656
    If I'm looking at houses in the core, I generally just assume that about $10,000 needs to be an assumed cost for foundation repair. It's worth looking for a property that is at least serviceable while that money is saved up, and if you find one that has already had work done, that's just a bonus.

Where might I find a map of school boundaries? I'm looking at the OKC PS website and I can't find anything.
    They are usually on the particular elementary school websites.

How do you feel about Classen North Highland Parked? It's still in its early stages of growth but i't smack in between Downtown, the Capitol and OUHSC. Several new homes have been built and many are being rennovated right now; and the Walcourt is about to be rehabbed. Seems like it could be a good place to build/buy.
    It's already very expensive. The lots that are left are crazy high, and the homes that need to be renovated are almost as bad. We looked there for 2 years. Made one offer but couldn't hit the price point we wanted. It's a fantastic buy if you can find the right deal!

Here you go: https://www.okcps.org/cms/lib/OK0191.../ElemPK4th.pdf

Zoomed in maps can be found by searching here: https://www.okcps.org/Page/303
    This is the Wilson boundary: https://www.okcps.org/cms/lib/OK0191...aps/Wilson.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Zoomed in maps can be found by searching here: https://www.okcps.org/Page/303
    This is the Wilson boundary: https://www.okcps.org/cms/lib/OK0191...aps/Wilson.pdf
    Thank you!!

What is the realtor/house flipper attitude towards the area surrounding the soon to be developed Wheeler District? Personally, I find it a tad difficult to be optimistic about the success of that development solely because of the surrounding area (and the fact that Wheeler does not plan on being gated). Is the real estate mood bullish on what the Wheeler District will do for the area south of the river? If so, it seems like snapping up some of the $12,000 houses in the immediate area could be a good move.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheeler.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	14083

What is the realtor/house flipper attitude towards the area surrounding the soon to be developed Wheeler District? Personally, I find it a tad difficult to be optimistic about the success of that development solely because of the surrounding area (and the fact that Wheeler does not plan on being gated). Is the real estate mood bullish on what the Wheeler District will do for the area south of the river? If so, it seems like snapping up some of the $12,000 houses in the immediate area could be a good move.

I would say that its going to be a wait and see thing. I hope the vision is realized but I am not holding my breath at the moment. This will be competing against Strawberry Fields and whatever becomes of the Producers Co-op site. However, I will say that those who take a gamble will see the greatest reward if Wheeler is a big success. It would be like investing in the Paseo area or in SoSA 10 years ago.

I've looked at some of those, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think it's gonna be a 20+ year investment. Right now the rental prices in that area are fairly low, but so are the home prices. You could buy a house and sit on it, but you're not gonna make any real money unless and until the Wheeler District is 3/4 complete.

I think a lot of people believe in Wheeler, but they just need to see the progress before jumping in. And there's really no rush to get down there. Even after Wheeler has legitimate Urban Development occupied, there will still be plenty of deals to be had.

The better argument for getting into the area now is that Capitol Hill could turn on the jets at some point.

Of course, the problem with the area is the housing stock is just not that great. The land, in the long-run, is what's going to be valuable.

From experience, some personal, a little more professional. A couple of hot areas have been discussed that I agree with - Crestwood & Linwood. I flipped a house in crestwood (2/1/2), paid 42k, put 44k in it, sold for 125k. It's just almost impossible to get in a property in either neighborhood with enough room to justify the time and expenses. For Linwood, anything under 200k is on fire. The one v two bath doesn't have a drastic impact on price. For reference, we are about to listt our house on the market once the kitchen, bath & utility room are finished (don't remodel and live in the property. Miserable) for $169k ($130/sqft) and we paid 125k ($96/Sqft) three years ago. Yes, we put some money in the property, but not much (10ish).

What is the neighborhood name for north of the OU Medical Area and south of NE 23rd, (OMG, you live in the ghetto!!) just kidding...

?

Someone told me recently that area is up to $140 sq/ft. maybe its spillover discount from Mesta Park

Not a lot of great restaurants just yet (I'll give props to Georges Happy Hog-love that place, great prices!)

Edit: lots of great historic houses, just like HH and Mesta before that pesky highway was built.

^

Lincoln Terrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    What is the neighborhood name for north of the OU Medical Area and south of NE 23rd, (OMG, you live in the ghetto!!) just kidding...

?

Someone told me recently that area is up to $140 sq/ft. maybe its spillover discount from Mesta Park

Not a lot of great restaurants just yet (I'll give props to Georges Happy Hog-love that place, great prices!)

Edit: lots of great historic houses, just like HH and Mesta before that pesky highway was built.
    We just bought in Lincoln Terrace 3 months ago. Absolutely in love with it. Super close to everything fun in downtown, midtown, and even the River. Seriously, you can't live within a 10 minute bike ride of downtown, midtown, and uptown unless you buy in Mesta or Heritage, which are outrageously overpriced. Also, the neighborhood is surprisingly walkable and the Capitol Park provides some grass for throwing a frisbee, running the dog, etc. You can still find homes in Lincoln Terrace for closer to $100 or $110, but you have to be patient or lucky. Best kept secret in OKC is in Lincoln Terrace: George's Happy Hog BBQ!!

Also, with The Walcourt getting a second life I think you're going to see even more investment start to flow over i-235 towards Lincoln. Buy now while it's at $120-140 before you start to see Mesta Prices!

Late to this chat. I'm in a little bit out of the loop but Classen TenPenn and south of that would be on my radar because of all the development happening in downtown west. I think Wheeler area is real long play but huge upside possiblities. I also think Lincoln Terrace and the area around OU Med are looking better all the time.

There seems to be a ton of opportunity all around OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I also think Lincoln Terrace and the area around OU Med are looking better all the time.
    Lincoln Terrace already is an affluent area.... you can't find a house listed there right now under 400k.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Lincoln Terrace already is an affluent area.... you can't find a house listed there right now under 400k.
    That's not true. There are a bunch of nice little homes in Lincoln Terrace that can be had for under $400k. Many require some work, but I think that's what OP is looking for. Buying cheap in a neighborhood that will appreciate over time. We bought less than a year ago and paid under $100 a sq ft in a very nice part of Lincoln Terrace. Links below for support. I walk the neighbhorhood frequently and can think of at least 4 other homes that are for sale by owner that are surely listed for well under the $225k mark.

https://tinyurl.com/ydb38tdm

https://tinyurl.com/y7fe4p5t

https://tinyurl.com/yd8h5g8x

https://tinyurl.com/y98e439k

Those aren't in Lincoln Terrace. I agree that around the capital is a good area for this, but specifically, in Lincoln Terrace, it's already pretty affluent. That'd be similar to saying Putnam Heights is an up-and-coming area. The areas around it are, but PH is already largely there. I know it may seem like I'm being pedantic, but I think it's important to strictly define neighborhood boundaries.

HangryHippo Guest

AP - what are the boundaries for Lincoln Terrace?

Oklahoma City reports crime based on neighborhood associations. In their reports, they list the boundaries of the NAs. For Lincoln Terrace, it is listed as North: NE 21st, South: NE 14th, East: Phillips Ave., West: Stiles Ave.

If you are interested, this is the latest report the Neighborhood Alliance of Central Oklahoma has available. It is from January 18 - February 18. http://nacok.org/wp-content/uploads/...-2-28-2018.pdf

Thread Information