Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frida

Paseo Frida

Free-standing restaurant with large patio and separate bar coming to the Paseo

Work is set to start soon on Frida, a new restaurant and bar to be constructed on a vacant lot at the south edge of the Paseo Arts District.

The proprietor is Shaun Fiaccone of Humankind Hospitality Service which also operates Picasso Cafe and The Other Room in the Paseo.

The design by Brian Fitzsimmons features modern Spanish Revival architecture to complement the surrounding structures and includes 4,386 square of enclosed space along with a 698 square foot outdoor courtyard sheltered by a trellis and 989 square feet of outdoor patio.

Fitzsimmons Architects has designed some of Oklahoma City's more stunning restaurants, such as Hatch, Broadway 10 and both Sidecar locations.

The name Frida is an homage to Frida Kahlo the Mexican painter.

The restaurant layout highly favors an outdoor orientation, either looking out through large windows and doors or seating space on patios and courtyards facing both east and north. The entire project looks out about the Paseo District.

Fiaccone is developing the menu with the help of chef Ryan Parrott which will be new American with a strong Southwest influence. Everything will be made from scratch and locally sourced where possible.

A full bar will be offered in the restaurant and the separate bar, The Daley, will feature an overhead door that opens to its own patio. In contrast to the bright, airy spaces of Frida, The Daley will be darker and more intimate and focus on whiskey and craft cocktails.

Frida is to be constructed on a large vacant lot at the southern edge of the Paseo and will help to bridge the district with the booming Uptown / 23rd Street area, as the distance is only four blocks from the popular Pump Bar, which is directly south on Walker.

Originally proposed as Via Paseo, the re-worked project has room along Walker for future commercial expansion.

The plans will be reviewed in the September meeting of the Urban Design Commission.

Default Re: Frida

This looks like it is going to be awesome. I do have mixed feelings about Via Paseo being redone though. We're losing out on nearly 4k sq. ft. of retail it looks like. Via Paseo would have been that ENTIRE empty lot though, right? Whereas this leaves area just southeast open for development, correct? So, there's potential for this entire block to be even bigger than the original Via Paseo design?

Either way, this restaurant looks gorgeous and will be massive hit once open, no doubt.

^

The "undeveloped area" in the site plan above will ultimately be built out as office / retail space.

I love this! The only question I have is will this affect parking when it comes to the First Friday events and lets say the Paseo Arts Festival! Is there anyway for the area to solve the whole parking issue because it does get very busy?

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    I love this! The only question I have is will this affect parking when it comes to the First Friday events and lets say the Paseo Arts Festival! Is there anyway for the area to solve the whole parking issue because it does get very busy?
    I hope the Paseo is one district that doesn't try to add parking nearby. People will make their way to the district with parking or without. Without parking, they'll find other ways there (walk, Uber, bike) or they'll park a few blocks away and walk. Adding a parking garage or surface lot doesn't suit a neighborhood district IMHO. It's also worth noting that cities and districts should plan infrastructure for daily activities, not around seldom events. That lot couldn't have even been that many cars anyway....

For the Paseo Arts Festival, I usually park north of 30th on the side streets between Shartel and Walker. This year, I tried parking at the SE corner of 32nd & Dewey, and there was a guy there selling $10 dollar parking in the small apartment building on the corner. There were 3 free spaces available in the street, but this guy had nailed homemade cardboard "No Parking" signs to the trees along the street so he could get those people into his $10 spots. We got in an argument over the fact that it was a public street and he couldn't stop me from parking there, but I eventually elected to park down the street so I wouldn't come back and find my tires slashed or a big loogie on my window.

Blog Entries

I might have called the police in that scenario for a multitude of reasons (or maybe parked and gone and grabbed an officer from the festival if they were willing).

I think the best long-term solution for parking in the Paseo is to extend the streetcar there. Available parking for special events like First Friday and the Paseo Arts Festival is a legitimate concern as the area continues to fill in. However, a parking garage would ruin the feel of the neighborhood and I also don't think excess parking just for special events is a good idea. Extending the streetcar there would allow people to park in Uptown and ride it up to the Paseo if they didn't want to walk that far. Does anybody else agree?

Didn't they have a shuttle running for the Arts Festival?

Blog Entries

Not an ideal example. Folks could already be parking in uptown and walking to Paseo. It's closer than say, parking in Deep Deuce and walking to the ballpark for a game, which lots of folks do...

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I think the best long-term solution for parking in the Paseo is to extend the streetcar there. Available parking for special events like First Friday and the Paseo Arts Festival is a legitimate concern as the area continues to fill in. However, a parking garage would ruin the feel of the neighborhood and I also don't think excess parking just for special events is a good idea. Extending the streetcar there would allow people to park in Uptown and ride it up to the Paseo if they didn't want to walk that far. Does anybody else agree?
    This exactly. The Paseo would benefit greatly from a stop. But please, no addition mass parking in Paseo. I suppose a parking garage would work, with retail on the ground floor, off 23rd somewhere. But that's the only place I could advocate a parking garage in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I hope the Paseo is one district that doesn't try to add parking nearby. People will make their way to the district with parking or without. Without parking, they'll find other ways there (walk, Uber, bike) or they'll park a few blocks away and walk. Adding a parking garage or surface lot doesn't suit a neighborhood district IMHO. It's also worth noting that cities and districts should plan infrastructure for daily activities, not around seldom events. That lot couldn't have even been that many cars anyway....
    Couldn't have said it better myself. structured parking would look very weird and out of scale and ruin the feel of the area. The walkable fabric in the paseo is exciting, human scaled, and feels authentically like the center of a neighborhood (which it is). Great places don't become great because of abundant parking!

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    This exactly. The Paseo would benefit greatly from a stop. But please, no addition mass parking in Paseo. I suppose a parking garage would work, with retail on the ground floor, off 23rd somewhere. But that's the only place I could advocate a parking garage in that area.
    Yeah, A garage on the Tower theatre parking lot with retail on the ground floor would be the ideal spot imo.

You can easily park as far away as 23rd and walk to the Paseo no problem. The lot(s) behind the Pump are [safe and lit] and almost always open, you can park there and walk. However, I will say that the sidewalks in this entire district are horrendous and anyone needing ADA compliance sidewalks will need to be dropped off as it will be physically impossible to traverse. (can we get some big MAPS sidewalk projects, please)

You'd think an urban neighborhood like this would be at the top of the sidewalk list... it's really, really bad along Walker between Paseo and 23rd.

You'd think an urban neighborhood like this would be at the top of the sidewalk list... it's really, really bad along Walker between Paseo and 23rd.
    I agree with this. In fact, the Paseo area as a whole is badly in need of sidewalks. Much of the area either doesn't have them or has a lot of gaps. I personally am baffled why areas like the Paseo get passed over for sidewalks in favor of the outer burbs.

I think it'll be great to add a parking garage structure behind the tower theatre. It gets crowded there every weekend! I love the idea of extending the car to Uptown; however, the sidewalks around Paseo are honestly very bad. Fixing those sidewalks are very important. I think the thing people need to start thinking about is that parking garages are not all bad. If they do decide to build one I think it'd be amazing, especially if it has retail at the bottom!

Most of the damage to existing sidewalk is caused by massive tree roots. In my estimation, sidewalk replacement would be far more costly than normal, and pretty iffy for a lot of those trees. Not saying it shouldn't be done, just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Yeah, A garage on the Tower theatre parking lot with retail on the ground floor would be the ideal spot imo.
    That or the lot behind the Rise.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    That or the lot behind the Rise.
    The lot behind the Rise would make for a great garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The lot behind the Rise would make for a great garage.
    And if it had retail on the first level at least facing the back of the Rise and maybe Dewey, you could add a nice little retail corridor through that alley. Could be really cool if they ever did it.

HangryHippo Guest

And if it had retail on the first level at least facing the back of the Rise and maybe Dewey, you could add a nice little retail corridor through that alley. Could be really cool if they ever did it.
    Agree wholeheartedly.

great idea

And then the sidewalks are non-existent on Walker north of Paseo.

This project was approved today by design review.

Thread Information