Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Frida

Default Re: Frida

I agree that the pasta dish is incredible.

Had holiday dinner at Frida and they remain one of the Top 5 in OKC for decent food, excellent interiors, and knowledgeable service. We had seafood tamale, lobster empanadas, and braised short ribs , all fantastic. I'm also impressed that they've kept the same front of house hostess since they opened, since I remember seeing her then too. Service is so unobtrusive as to be invisible, unlike some other places in town that should be better in that area (cough cough Ranch Steakhouse).
    Frida is where I'd recommend for out of town guests who want a nice dinner in OKC.

We enjoyed Frida Valentines Day and was very satisfied. Initially we were unable to get reservations unless we went very early or late. AMEX Concierge service was able to get us a table at 7. Upon walking in, the host and hostess were spruced up looking very dapper and handing the ladies a single rose. Sat at our table immediately with no wait.

Food was amazing. The charred pork belly app was three pieces and was cooked perfectly. Great choice of meat as it wasn't overly fatty as a bad cut of pork belly can be. the roasted peanuts and salad provided diversity of flavor with salad dressing cleansing the palate.
    I had the blackened strip with whipped potatoes and okra.

The steak had a great flavor but was a little over cooked. It was a high medium versus a med rare. Still tasted great. (I did not say anything but I am sure they would have fixed it) Okra was hot and crispy and was on a sauce that accented it well. The potatoes were dense and were a little on the cool side. They offered to replace them but I was planning on just having the one bite and taking them home so declined. I only pointed it out so they could turn up the heat whatever they were using to hold them.

My wife had the blackened MahiMahi and it was the star of the show. The fish was cooked dean on and had nice crust with a great delicate flavor. I am not a fish fan and any hint of fishiness turns me off. I would have eaten her whole dish if she would have let me. We had the lobster mac and cheese. Was very good. Small pieces of lobster amidst cheesy goodness.

I asked about whisky selection and she brought me a whisky menu telling me how great the whisky selection is. Upon coming back, she asked if I wanted anything and I politely declined as the menu was basically core line nothing special. She then mentioned they have a speakeasy next door and that she could get anything from there also. I stepped through the door in the hall way and discovered a wonderful display of great whiskies. I finished the night with a pour of 25 year old laphroaig

Service was outstanding, bright and upbeat. Ran pretty much at the speed it should have where we weren't rushed nor did we ever have to look for her. They do a nice job of packaging leftovers instead of just bringing you a to go container.

Would definitely return and encourage others to go there when looking for a nice evening out. I will be back as there are several things we didn't get to try that I want to.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	682.9 KB 
ID:	17871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	534.8 KB 
ID:	17872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	675.7 KB 
ID:	17873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f6.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	748.7 KB 
ID:	17874 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f5.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	524.0 KB 
ID:	17875

Thank you for the solid review. Definitely going to go back in to try that fish!

It's just so good and such a beautiful spot. Great place to sit at the bar or go to the adjoining bar, The Daley.

I went on Christmas Eve a couple of years ago and it was a fun and fantastic experience.

Frida's one of the best and most consistent restaurants in OKC... I don't think we've ever been disappointed there. The shrimp and grits on their brunch menu (may be on their regular menu) is my favorite in town.

Their brunch might be my favorite in the city, either them or the Jones

I completely understand why they are doing what they're doing but I wish so bad that they would revert to the original concept of the Daley being separate from Frida. It was such a great little hole-in-the-wall when it opened. And to be fair, still is, but went there with another couple last week for a 5:30 happy hour and was hoping to sit at a table, but all of the tables were still being used for Frida reservations later in the evening so we had to sit at the bar, which is just slightly more awkward for a group. Again, it's a great "problem" that Frida has so many reservations it needs the tables, but the Daley is just such a great space as its own concept and wish it would go back to being as such.

That and Goro moving into a new space and re-opening Gun are my two biggest OKC restaurant-related wishes by a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    I completely understand why they are doing what they're doing but I wish so bad that they would revert to the original concept of the Daley being separate from Frida. It was such a great little hole-in-the-wall when it opened. And to be fair, still is, but went there with another couple last week for a 5:30 happy hour and was hoping to sit at a table, but all of the tables were still being used for Frida reservations later in the evening so we had to sit at the bar, which is just slightly more awkward for a group. Again, it's a great "problem" that Frida has so many reservations it needs the tables, but the Daley is just such a great space as its own concept and wish it would go back to being as such.

That and Goro moving into a new space and re-opening Gun are my two biggest OKC restaurant-related wishes by a mile.
    Frida delivers pretty much every time ..

Gun was right there as a great concept i wish it would return

Thread Information