Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McClintock Saloon and Chop House

Default Re: McClintock Saloon and Chop House

This looks awesome. I won't go to Cattleman's but I'll check this place out. This is really cool looking and feels like a classic saloon. I'm a sucker for old westerns.

Absolutely what Stockyards City needs. I am super enthused about this. The renovation looks perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by DickTracy View Post
    Parking might become a big issue down there too, I noticed Cattlemens already put up signs in their lot that it was for Cattlemens restaurant only. They ought to close that bank branch and create a parking lot, they sure could use it.
    I agree that parking will be a huge issue. Also, I'm curious about people at the City Rescue Mission panhandling customers that are so close by.

There is tons of street parking down there.

They don't bother anyone really, we go to the Opry quite often and have never had any problems.

I've heard they spent upwards of 2 million on this place, it's really beautiful inside, I took a tour the other day,

Projects to be another top tier establishment further elevating the dining options in OKC.

I will be attending the soft opening this Saturday. Can't wait!

Dropped in on Sunday for a drink per a facebook post by one of their managers. Like others have already said, it gorgeous. Alan Greene was kind enough to give me a tour of the property complete with the history of many of the finishings, including a very beautiful antique Coca Cola stained glass window displayed in the entryway. Unfortunately they were not serving dinner, but the reasonably priced old fashioned I ordered was done right at $7.

They had a post saying there would be a grand opening celebration next week on the 10th. Does anyone know if this just means they will be open for dinner or will it be more of a party/event that night and then after the 10th it will be open for regular dining?

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Dropped in on Sunday for a drink per a facebook post by one of their managers. Like others have already said, it gorgeous. Alan Greene was kind enough to give me a tour of the property complete with the history of many of the finishings, including a very beautiful antique Coca Cola stained glass window displayed in the entryway. Unfortunately they were not serving dinner, but the reasonably priced old fashioned I ordered was done right at $7.
    Good to know that not every bar has gone to pricing old fashioneds at $11 or more.

I took the plunge with my family. The service was exemplary and the steak was as good -- or perhaps even better -- than anything I've had in OKC (even the Ranch). Just really really good. The atmosphere has great bones but they need to tweak a few things for ambiance: the chandeliers are beautiful but the lighting choices are incredibly harsch. Daylight LEDs? The audio setup is atrocious and doesn't provide the kinda vibe one would expect.

Still, the food was excellent and my family was still buzzing about it the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I took the plunge with my family. The service was exemplary and the steak was as good -- or perhaps even better -- than anything I've had in OKC (even the Ranch). Just really really good. The atmosphere has great bones but they need to tweak a few things for ambiance: the chandeliers are beautiful but the lighting choices are incredibly harsch. Daylight LEDs? The audio setup is atrocious and doesn't provide the kinda vibe one would expect.

Still, the food was excellent and my family was still buzzing about it the next day.
    Its really amazing how little that people who invest tons of money into spaces like this understand about lighting and how much difference it makes to the atmospher in a bar or restaurant. Bars and restaurants shouldn’t ever use anything over about 3500k in color temperature or really over 3000k...especially in an old western saloon themed bar. I noticed the same issue at savings and loan as well as the Zu in Edmond...lights were dimmed but way too high on the cool white part of the spectrum. It always has a massive effect on the atmosphere. I actually use Phillips Hue White Ambiance bulbs all over my house that can move between different shades of the white spectrum depending on the mood you’re trying to set. It’s amazing how much of a difference it makes.

Similarly, even architect designed spaces seem to completely neglect the sound levels , and quality. Too many visually appealing spaces that beg soft sounds and intimacy filled with harsh cacophony.

Light and sound don't show on renderings and few people consider them until everything is finished and the space just doesn't feel 'right'.

By far the most common mistakes in commercial design.

16. Default Re: McClintock Saloon and Chop House

Not defending it, but it was always my impression that having a loud/echoey restaurant was an intentional design choice to keep people from lingering too long after finishing their meals, to keep customer flow going.

I'm thinking about taking my parents here this weekend, does anybody know the wait time? Would you recommend getting reservations? I assume it'll be pretty busy since the place is new.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Light and sound don't show on renderings and few people consider them until everything is finished and the space just doesn't feel 'right'.

That's why we have a full-time lighting designer on staff. It needs to be considered in every design project, not as an after-thought but as a tool and a central element, up front.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    That's why we have a full-time lighting designer on staff. It needs to be considered in every design project, not as an after-thought but as a tool and a central element, up front.
    Exactly right.

Lighting -- like A/V -- is specialty unto itself and a knowledgeable person can make a huge difference.

Even for those firms without a internal lighting person, there are plenty that can be brought in as consultants early in the process.

Agree 1,000 %!

About a year ago several of us dinned at MaryEddy's. While the food was good and the place had an overall good vibe...the sound level that night was almost unbearable. Even sitting right next to someone you could not have a conversation without almost shouting. Unreal. While to group enjoyed the food most of them said they wouldn't be back because the sound level was so over the top that they'd eat at other places where the sound level wasn't so harsh. Concrete floors and ceilings, without any attempt to deflect bouncing sound, may be cool features but it kills atmosphere for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Virtually all spaces these days have nothing but hard surfaces.

What little upholstery is usually leather or vinyl. No drapes, carpets or acoustical ceilings; tons of glass, concrete, tile, hardwood floors, etc.

There are ways to absorb sound in a discrete way without distracting from interior design, but that needs to be worked in from the beginning. Very hard to do it after the fact.

21. Default Re: McClintock Saloon and Chop House

Now open for lunch per their FB page and lunch menu is on their website.

Starting this weekend, they will have brunch opening at 10AM both Saturday and Sunday.

I stopped by for lunch yesterday. Ordered the stockyard burger. Meat didn't taste like it was seasoned, but went well with the veggies. They served beer battered fries with it. I look forward to trying other things there next week.

Their brunch menu is only available during the weekends, they don't tack on extra for ordering stuff outside that period.

24. Default Re: McClintock Saloon and Chop House

They were doing a pretty brisk business for lunch when I was in today.

I had the fried chicken....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0908.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	14202

I'll be going back to have the fried chicken again...and again... and again.... Yes I liked the fried chicken.

Bartender told me they have a broaster fryer.... They also thought it took them longer than it should have to get the chicken to me even though I didn't think the wait was out of line (I expect about a 20 minute wait on chicken) so you may notice they gave me an extra leg.

Broaster Chicken! Yes

Thread Information