Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 22 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Classen Circle

Northwest OKC Classen Circle

Braum's applies to demolish HiLo Club, Drunken Fry and Classen Grill structures

Braum's Ice Cream and Dairy Stores has filed plans that show the demolition of several historic structures near the old Classen Circle.

The company acquired a small house next to the HiLo Club, Drunken Fry and Classen Grill in 2015.

They have filed to rezone .48 acres which is all the properties bound by Classen, NW 50th and Military Avenue and documents show plans to raze all existing buildings and construct a new Braum's.

Red Oak Properties LLC of Oklahoma City has owned all the real estate in this triangle since the mid 1990's except the one house Braum's recently purchased.

In a document submitted to the city, Red Oak authorizes Braum's to act on their behalf, an indication they intend to sell or lease their properties to the dairy chain. Braum's tends to own the properties where the operate.

The structure housing the HiLo Club and the Drunken Fry was built in 1948 as the Donnay Building and was once home to the old Sidecar Lounge and The Patio restaurant which operated from the mid 50's to the early 1990's. HiLo's website indicates they have been in operation from 1956. Charlie's Jazz-Rhythm & Blues Records is also a tenant in the building.

Along with nearby Edna's and the 51st Street Speakeasy, the Drunken Fry and HiLo comprise a popular bar district with patrons often moving freely between the popular watering holes.

The Classen Grill building was constructed in 1929 and the restaurant has operated there since 1980.

Rezoning must be approved by the Oklahoma City Planning Commission.

This area is outside any of the city's design review or historic preservation districts and therefore the historic nature of the the existing structures will not be taken into account, only zoning matters.

Default Re: Braum's

Destroying the character of the city? I see this happening.

To add, Braums is a sh!tty company for proposing this. I wouldn't even be for this if it was designed well as an urban store. OKC needs to preserve its older buildings. This one isn't the best but it does add cool character to the area that a f@cking Braums won't!!! Why doesn't Braums remodel this development and move into it? Oh wait, that would be too cool and challenging.

Hell to the naw

Fluck Braums....

Pete, you should move this to the main forum so it gets more focus. Or perhaps just make a new thread.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Pete, you should move this to the main forum so it gets more focus. Or perhaps just make a new thread.
    Agreed.

What a downgrade this would be. Absolutely embarrassing if the Planning Commission lets this go through. And Braum's should be a better citizen than this.

F*ck you braums.

It'd be so nice to see the existing structures renovated rather than demolished. Having said that, if a tear-down just has to occur, there would be so many better uses of that space than a chain fast food place. Ick.

This is going to be a PR nightmare for Braum's.

They were not too happy to receive my call and learn I already knew about their plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

They were not too happy to receive my call and learn I already knew about their plans.
    hobby lobby, braums, and a couple of gas station companies basically own OKC commercial real estate lol. This is a ****ing joke.

I have not been to Braums since they replaced the 1/3 pound burger with a 1/4 burger a few months ago. This definitely makes me want to stay away from Braums. #boycottbraums

They could reverse every change they made in the last year. I'm officially done with them on principle if they proceed with these disastrous plans.

Bah - this is all a cover to distract everyone from the 1/4 burger/waterboy milkshake fiasco.

It's like they're taking a *class* in alienating...lots of people at once. I get the impression they really think they're immune to public opinion...

And just like that, I am done with Braums.

Wow.. this is just....

I mean, this structure could definitely use some work, but there's so much history there, and it's such a unique building. Arg!

17. Default Re: Braum's

That is a shame. Sorry Braums don't think I'll give you any business.

I would not be surprised if they end up changing their plans because a firestorm is already brewing.

I'm glad to see the response to this matches my own. I don't make it to the area very often, but when I do this building has always caught my eye. It will terrible to see it go and replaced by a generic Braum's.

That building is a ramshackle mess but still charming in its own way.

And really one of the very last ties to the old Classen Circle. Address still is on Classen Circle, in fact.

This is not only a tragedy as far as losing buildings with a ton of unique character, but due to the downgrade in density, will likely be a financial loss in tax revenue (albeit a small one) for the city.

That building is a ramshackle mess but still charming in its own way.
    That's why I love it. It's so unique and makes me happy when I see it.

23. Default Re: Braum's

I would not be surprised if they end up changing their plans because a firestorm is already brewing.
    My family and friends are already hitting the social media at them. I imagine people aren't going to like this.

Thanks for the info as always Pete.

Pete, your Facebook post about this is spreading like crazy... and I just joined about a dozen other people who left a message on Braum's facebook page asking them to reconsider. I really hope they cave to the public pressure and halt these plans.

Now THAT'S the understatement of the year.

Step one: Piss off our customers re: shakes and burgers.

Step two: Knock down some historical buildings.

Step three: I fear to find out...

Thread Information