Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Classen Circle

Default Re: Braum's

Quote Originally Posted by coov23 View Post
    Pete, you're not alone. I am lead recruiting analyst for thefootballbrainiacs.com and we break news on a daily basis. Not a single "journalist" in this market cites us as first to break story. It's always a "source". Of course, people call them out, but they say we aren't real journalists because we aren't in their clique. It's part of the pettiness in the OK market, whether you're covering OKC or college football. If you aren't in their group, you get not respect. We came to grips with it. You do you and keep grinding.
    Love your site man. Keep up the good work. (Sorry for being off topic)

2. Default Re: Braum's

Just read the newsok article again and OKCTalk was omitted.

3. Default Re: Braum's

On the other hand... only one that mentioned the site.

http://kfor.com/2017/07/12/braums-lo...left-in-limbo/

In all my years living here, I've never once stepped foot in these buildings, but I've always loved driving by and looking at them. It's a bizarre clump of bad architecture tossed in a pile, but it has this New England alley feel about it that I just love. I've always hated the idea of destroying architecture with character to put up something that's been reproduced all over the city already. I'm glad so many other people were appalled by the proposition as well; the outcry will, hopefully, put a stop to the plans.

I'd have to permanently boycott Braum's if they went through with this, and I really don't want to have to do that. Their ice cream is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    He always does this as a deflection for them stealing our work.
    Their feud with this site borders on the preposterous.

"The rezoning request was first reported by NewsChannel 4's partner OKCTalk.com Wednesday Morning."

Are you guys teaming up now?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    "The rezoning request was first reported by NewsChannel 4's partner OKCTalk.com Wednesday Morning."

Are you guys teaming up now?
    Yes.

I'll have more on this later.

A broader conspiracy has been revealed:

He always does this as a deflection for them stealing our work.
    And if you call him out on it, he blocks you on Twitter. Going on a yr blocked, so I now get all my info from OKCTalk. Thanks Pete!

Blog Entries

I don't think I am out of touch, but OKC Talk, and several other sources are much better than the joklahoman. The only time i go look on there is when there is a link to an article (usually from here), or somewhere else. My 94 Yr old grandmother still subscribes to a delivered paper, but she also thinks the internet is the devil!!! When she passes on, they won't have any paper subscribers left.

The Oklahoman is a dying entity, and their sports writers either are incredible ignorant, or they purposely do ignorant things to try and get the paper on the map every now and then. Carlson's claim to fame is Gundy setting her on fire, and Trammel surfaces every 2 years asking stupid questions at post game conferences.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    To whom should I write an e-mail or letter? Normally I would just sign the petition and be on my way, however, I own 2 properties less than 5 blocks away, so there would be more weight coming from someone in the actual neighborhood that this tragedy is being considered.
    Always let your councilperson (for the affected properties) know of your issues. It is your council person that will have to vote on the re-zoning and such.

12. Default Re: Braum's

I am sure this is not a popular opinion but I live in the neighborhood and am actually in favor of Braums. I shop there every week and it would be nice to have it closer. I used to work at the Patio Restaurant as a 13 year old bussing tables and have great memories of it. If the building stays then they should at least fix it up so it does not look so dumpy. That is what makes it a target to tear down. It looks like it is crumbling. I would like to see it brought back to its original state.

But Braum's has the best-tasting fat-free skim milk, though... any other brands out there that come close?

14. Default Re: Braum's

I am sure that Ed shaded will oppose it being torn down.

The current owners purchased in the mid-90's and are famous for not caring about the place and doing almost nothing to maintain it.

This is another case in OKC where an owner is allowed to drive something into the ground then claim it is beyond saving.

In this situation, more than 20 years of complete neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I am sure this is not a popular opinion but I live in the neighborhood and am actually in favor of Braums. I shop there every week and it would be nice to have it closer. I used to work at the Patio Restaurant as a 13 year old bussing tables and have great memories of it. If the building stays then they should at least fix it up so it does not look so dumpy. That is what makes it a target to tear down. It looks like it is crumbling. I would like to see it brought back to its original state.
    If Braum's had opted to work in a strategy that incorporated the existing building into a new store concept unique to the area, they could have turned this into a huge PR win and probably entirely avoided this ongoing publicity nightmare.

They could also fix their burgers and shakes, turn this into a PR win with a "Mea culpa! We hear you! We're fixing the burgers and shakes!
    But I don't think they care about that, either. Not sure Drew Braum is getting the best advice these days; or if he is, he's just ignoring it.

17. Default Re: Braum's

The current owners purchased in the mid-90's and are famous for not caring about the place and doing almost nothing to maintain it.

This is another case in OKC where an owner is allowed to drive something into the ground then claim it is beyond saving.

In this situation, more than 20 years of complete neglect.
    If it ends up staying then the City should force them to take care of it. That would be awesome. It is a shame that is has declined into it's current state. It is becoming an eyesore the way it is going.

18. Default Re: Braum's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patio.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	13975

If it ends up staying then the City should force them to take care of it. That would be awesome. It is a shame that is has declined into it's current state. It is becoming an eyesore the way it is going.
    The reality is that it's very hard to force an owner to do much with a property beyond whatever minimum code requires. I think that's what precipitated the ordinance that finally got the Spaghetti Warehouse building situation off the dime....but it took a building in that bad a shape to make it happen. These places on Classen, while apparently needing some attention, presumably aren't anywhere near the state SW was/is in....so it just necessarily becomes a tough nut to crack when an owner just lets a property sit...

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    I think the Patio (Donnay Building) should be rehabbed and restored by Braum's and make accomodations for the record shop and the HiLo. The building really needs a good clearing and scrub, but feel like it could be a little gem of Mid Century architecture restored into something special "if it was done right"!
    I would love to see this restored. I love Mid Century modern and Googie architecture. The last time I was there was probably in the '90s but I drive by it often. I've always loved that odd amalgamation of buildings. It's just like they grew there organically. It kinda reminds me of the hodge podge look of the Walled City of Kowloon.

Braum's needs to concentrate on fixing their mistakes and cleaning their stores instead of tearing down Mid Century architecture.

I am sure that Ed shaded will oppose it being torn down.
    He posted this on facebook yesterday -

The misguided decision to tear down the Donnay Building (The Hi-Lo and Classen Grill) for a Braums can be resisted. 1/3 of the land is zoned R-1 residential and should not be rezoned to industrial use. The rezoning (which is wholly inadequate in that only the R-1 property is included in the PUD) can be protested by the people and denied by the City Council. Braum's is an OK company and should hear from and hopefully respect the will of the people of OKC to preserve what is unique and special to us. Multiple protests being planned; details to follow. Thanks to Floyd Martin for this summary of the historical significance of the area: "The Hi-Lo is the Hi-Lo because the "Lo" part is where it is now, and the "Hi" part is the red part above which was at one time, a dance floor that overlooked that part of the city (which was the end of the street car line). During prohibition (which lasted in Oklahoma until 1959), the Hi-Lo was where state politicians gathered to drink, talk politics, and since there are apartments in that building, presumably took hookers. There is also a tunnel that goes from The Donnay Building to The Classen Grill and to an old hotel, that is no longer standing. The Hi-Lo has been a "Gay bar" since at least the mid-80s, but all are welcome there The Donnay Building was built in 1948. The Hi-Lo was opened in 1956 Charlie's Jazz and Blues Records and Books opened in the late 70s The Classen Grill opened in 1980, and the building was built in 1929. The Hi-Lo has identified as a Gay/Gay friendly bar since 1988. It may not be YOUR history but it is historic."

I frequent Braums and welcome this one as it will be closer to my house. A new building would help that area look nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerguy View Post
    Attachment 13973

Looks like somebody grew a conscience.
    And then the NewsOK article was updated again at 8:53pm removing the citation.

I love Braum's, but there's already one 1-mile away, and 8 within a 5-mile radius.

Quote Originally Posted by BLJR View Post
    but she also thinks the internet is the devil!!!
    I have a former in-law who thinks that wind chimes are of the occult. Found that out the hard way when I gave her a set as a really nice present.

Thread Information