Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HunnyBunny Biscuit Company

Default Re: HunnyBunny Biscuit Company

^

Have you tried Buttermilk?

I've yet to hear a detailed comparison of both.

I'm already a huge fan of Buttermilk but have yet to try HunnyBunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Have you tried Buttermilk?

I've yet to hear a detailed comparison of both.

I'm already a huge fan of Buttermilk but have yet to try HunnyBunny.
    I haven't yet, but it appears i need to. I have a weakness for biscuits and gravy. It is my #1 comfort dish. No one has topped "Mom's Gravy" yet, but I love all gravy, some just more than others, lol.

I know the biscuits are quite different, in that Buttermilk is less fluffy with more of a crunch to the outside. Also seasoned differently. Todd Woodruff said their take is less traditional.

This is making my hungry... I may have to go to Buttermilk for a late lunch and sit on their patio and watch Paseo action.

4. Default Re: HunnyBunny Biscuit Company

I know the biscuits are quite different, in that Buttermilk is less fluffy with more of a crunch to the outside. Also seasoned differently. Todd Woodruff said their take is less traditional.

This is making my hungry... I may have to go to Buttermilk for a late lunch and sit on their patio and watch Paseo action.
    I'm headed to Savory Spice at lunch to pick up some Ghost Pepper Salt and I'm torn on whether to hit my usual spot of The Drum Room for chicken and waffles or skip over to Paseo on the way back and try Buttermilk.

Blog Entries

Went to HBBC for first time this last Sunday morning. The meal was good, but not on my "carb friendly" diet...not that I'm complaining.

However, when my wife and I showed up, there were 4-5 open tables. My wife went to a table and sat down while I went up to order. One of the personnel then informed us she wasn't supposed to go sit at a table til we got our order and asked us BOTH to go stand in line. Seemed silly. There were multiple open tables with only one or two in line. This seemed like a case of "the rules are the rules" and not very common sense customer friendly. If there was a long line and we jumped ahead to grab a table I would have understood.

Though it was good, it wasn't good enough to drive down and stand in line. Too many other options. Can't wait to get to Buttermilk and try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I'm headed to Savory Spice at lunch to pick up some Ghost Pepper Salt and I'm torn on whether to hit my usual spot of The Drum Room for chicken and waffles or skip over to Paseo on the way back and try Buttermilk.
    I am at Drum Room about 4 days a week, sometimes 5-6, lol. I like your style !

Sorry to divert from HB talk, lol. Also, I hit Buttermilk for lunch, will post in that one shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Though it was good, it wasn't good enough to drive down and stand in line. Too many other options. ...
    This is going to be the problem for us with them and a lot of the new places, maybe it'll get better when the "new" wears off, or maybe not (which would be good for them, not for us ). The drive isn't too bad since we live in Venice, but there's very little food or restaurants worth standing in line or waiting more than about 20-30 mins for now, too many other options, as you said. We're going to try HunnyBunny on Sat, but if the line's too long, we can go to Scottie's, Gusto, Pump Bar, maybe Ur/Bun (all within walking distance), or get back in the car and go a mile or two into the Paseo or up Western or ...........

Still need to make it to Hatch downtown because we've been waiting for the "new" to wear off of them, or at least some of their customers to go to the new location (if it's open yet), but I hear their wait times are still ridiculous (can't use nowait because my phone's too old, need to get a new one, but that might take a while).

^

Seems like the better breakfast places maintain those lines well after opening. Waffle Champion still has crazy lines as does Hatch, Neighborhood Jam and Cafe Kacao.

I think you have to wait for lunch in order to avoid a good wait at any of these places.

9. Default Re: HunnyBunny Biscuit Company

I've only had Buttermilk's truck so far, but I like the style at Hunny Bunny more. That being said, I have a weakness for any biscuit if the gravy's good. I'm looking forward to trying Buttermilk's brick and mortar.

^

Seems like the better breakfast places maintain those lines well after opening. Waffle Champion still has crazy lines as does Hatch, Neighborhood Jam and Cafe Kacao.

I think you have to wait for lunch in order to avoid a good wait at any of these places.
    We do, we generally never eat anywhere on a Saturday before 1:00, and that's for places that close at 2:00 (worked in restaurants for a while, so I never get to a place any later than 30 minutes before closing ), and for places that close at 3 or 4, we get there around 2-ish.

^

I've been to Hunny Bunny several times between breakfast and lunchtime as well as after 1:15 or so and haven't ever had to wait more than a minute or two.

I went to Hunny Bunny 2 Saturdays ago and while the line seemed long, we got our food within 15 minutes of standing in line. They really do have the process down to get people in and out quickly. It helped that it was a nice day and people were able to sit outside.

Went today around 2:00, line of about 10 people, but like y'all have said, they have the process down pat, major props to them for having good runners, prompt clearing of tables, cashiers that know how to work the register, everything just ran smoothly and quickly. Biscuit and gravy is better at Aurora, though. Mushroom gravy had a weird unidentifiable sweet taste. Tater tots and bacon were completely average, and while I understand tater tots, I can make better ones in the oven at home, or as the wife said "Just go to Sonic". Decent, we'll be back once more, but not much after that, we make our own breakfast that kicks the crap out of theirs, with the exception of biscuits, which we don't make. Honey lattes were the best thing about the meal, we thought.

I've come here a fair amount on both weekday mid-mornings and Weekend mornings. From my observation, the the staff is about as spot on as they can be. Weekends they get swamped and the staff copes as best they can with limited seating. However, a really selfish, entitled segment of the clientele really mess things up. For instance, a small group arrives at the back of the line and sends one in the party to pull together three four tops (thereby eliminating four places) and then the remainder of the party arrive and it turns out to be only six seats needed. Got really huffy when management asked em not to do it that way. Or the well-appointed campers that remain 30 minutes after finishing their meals to chat with twenty-five people standing waiting for a seat. Or the single person occupying a four top while waiting for a Togo order. I'm mean really, some folks just can't see, or don't care to see past the end of their nose. Disappointing.

15. Default Re: HunnyBunny Biscuit Company

I was talking about this with someone the other day and I think it’s a case of the environment telling customers to do this. Either commit to fast casual/counter service or start doing full table service. Hate to say it but I’d reconfigure a bit if sticking to counter service. I would move the seating that is currently on the east wall in just a bit (ADA would dictate how much) and build a pony wall. When you walk in the door you’d immediately turn right and be in line. See: Tucker’s on 23rd, Fuzzy’s, other examples. You wouldn’t lose significant dining space because right now they have to leave a swath of the floor open for their disorganized line.

The problem is that the moment you walk in the door it’s a free-for all. The line is disorganized, the perception is that it’s going to be hard to get a seat, it feels competitive, servers have to walk through queued patrons, etc.. That’s fine when it’s slow but the place is unlikely to be slow due do truncated hours and great product. Also, doing it this way would allow for more to be in line and not have the problem (at least as bad) of people waiting outside and the half-in/half-out door holders.

I believe Waffle Champion and Kitchen 324 only seat you once you have your order, to avoid this come counter-service problem where people stake out tables in advance of getting their food.

Also believe both switched to that approach due to the same issues being raised about HunnyBunny.

17. Default Re: HunnyBunny Biscuit Company

Kitchen 324? They’ve only ever had a host/table service setup when I’ve been.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Kitchen 324? They’ve only ever had a host/table service setup when I’ve been.
    They didn't in the beginning and changed it due to the same issues being raised about HunnyBunny.

I agree with both of you, and that would go a long way toward orderly service, but still, even with a little signage in place, the way some folks act is disheartening. To sit there for twenty minutes, the only one standing guard over three tables while watching a family of four (small children) that has followed procedures and ordered first all holding their drinks and numerous others in similar situations while gloating over outsmarting them? Where is the human decency? Too much me first. It makes me sad.

^

It's especially problematic at such a small, popular place.

21. Default Re: HunnyBunny Biscuit Company

This used to be an issue at Big Truck Tacos. People would hold seats then order, or wait for the rest of their party to arrive. People would even call in a togo order so their order would jump to the front of the line - they'd show up, get their togo order and then sit down and eat it there.

I currently see this at Tom & Chee. They have very few tables and often at lunch someone will walk in and camp out at a table while those who've just ordered have to stand and wait.

I know I'm beating this horse, but it's kinda personal to me. I moved into the Paseo in 2005 before it became much of a destination drinking spot and have recently been gentrified out. Back then, the zen and collective kindness was abundant and apparent. Sure we had a few crack/meth houses and the prostitutes were plying their trade from the phone booths on the corner of Samir's parking lot, but the vast, and very diverse majority were just trying to eek out a pleasant existence. Neighborly accommodation was routinely extended to all without question or acquaintance. Singles were invited to join a group table. People watched out for others comfort in the littlest ways. We were in it together. Sometime around the time The Other Room took off, Paseo began to be a destination drinking spot for folks from elsewhere to get some dirty cool time, I guess. At first it was just on the weekend, and then late night all week. They were the ones to over-drink and become obnoxious, fighting and ignorantly clustering in groups in the limited space where the bar service took place, oblivious to the masses trying to get where they stood. All the while looking down their noses at the locals. Paseo has a direct, proximal link to Uptown 23rd and the same sort of civic dilution and pollution is taking place. I am not trying to shame where anyone lives that isn't where they go to experience something new, but I'm astounded and disappointed, sad, and even angry that they flock to a place for it's coolness and then impose their bad manners and social behavior to it's detriment. We're all in this together. End three part rant.

^^^
    We get older. They stay the same age. B52AA015-50E1-43C0-9EA2-F6BBC80E350C.jpeg

Had a similar situation to what paseofreak described happen to me and my friends when Torchy's first opened. Long line, no open tables, etc. We had just placed our order when we witnessed an adult man walk in, scan the situation and quickly hover behind a busboy cleaning off the one table that was about to be open. He then placed his laptop on the table, the table meant for my friends and me, and then quickly jumped in line. One of the guys I was with simply picked up his laptop and placed it on the bar top, informed the bartender whose laptop it was and then we sat down. The man approached us after he finally placed his order, which was at the same time our food was being delivered, and truly believed that we were in the wrong for moving his property. Even while standing there as our food, which took 20 minutes to come out, was being delivered to our table. Fortunately our sternness didn't cause a scene and he retreated to the bar. I'm sure the story he tells himself has a different protagonist, but if it feels like you are cheating the system, you are cheating the system and screwing over someone else.

And therein lies the problem of so many counter order restaurants, especially ones that get busy. The order and waiting game experience here was less than pleasant. After ordering and waiting for a table to open up, Im looking around at others wondering "did they order before me?" or "that dude better not take the next table, I ordered several minutes ahead of him."

The food was good here, but I liked Buttermilk better. Not as many options at Buttermilk but the biscuit sandwhiches and hash browns/tator tots are better imo than Hunnybunny.

Thread Information