Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Thunder 2017-18

Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Trying to decide whether to spend time finding DCSooner's and ChrisB's posts about how Russ was gone and OKC will never sign a star.

Nahhh, I'll just focus on how amazing it is we have one of the best players in the NBA in OKC for the long term.
    Won't find a post that said he definitively would not sign. I have said and maintain OKC still lacks the black population (rather small), urban density (24 hour entertainment and dining options) and sophistication many young, rich, black desire. Make OKC more black friendly meaning more entertainment venues bringing in top black acts and less cowboyish and its reputation may improve. Jason Whitlock commented how interesting it will be to see Carmelos wife LaLa eating at Chili's intimating OKC lacks sophistication. His characterization is not totally true, but a view held by many non native Blacks who view the State as super white (7% black )and uber conservative (all Red). In case you don't know blacks are overwhelmingly blue.

Listen, the more OKC can provide lifestyle choices that cater to the 75% of NBA players that are black, the better.

Well, dcsooner, as we all know, Westbrook is here to stay. Carmelo and Paul can just be his one and done sidekicks. Cause none of the above is going to happen in their wanting timeframe or yours, if that's truly what they want based on your view.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Well, dcsooner, as we all know, Westbrook is here to stay. Carmelo and Paul can just be his one and done sidekicks. Cause none of the above is going to happen in their wanting timeframe or yours, if th,at's truly what they want based on your view.
    My comments go beyond the two great players you mentioned but as usual many cannot or do not want to see nor try to understand them.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    My comments goes beyond just these two men but as usual many cannot or do not want to see nor understand them.
    Maybe you're disillusioned. I'm not in a postition to make those types of changes so until they happen which could very possibly be 200 years from now after white genocide, I...just...don't...know...what...to...tell...you. I'm just making a simple observation.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisok View Post
    Whew! Glad I didn't end up looking like a troll, even though I was a few hours off.
    He signed the contract this morning and was already sent to the league office before contract was announced. The way they manage to keep things secret over there is amazing.
    Props!

Blog Entries

Won't find a post that said he definitively would not sign. I have said and maintain OKC still lacks the black population (rather small), urban density (24 hour entertainment and dining options) and sophistication many young, rich, black desire. Make OKC more black friendly meaning more entertainment venues bringing in top black acts and less cowboyish and its reputation may improve. Jason Whitlock commented how interesting it will be to see Carmelos wife LaLa eating at Chili's intimating OKC lacks sophistication. His characterization is not totally true, but a view held by many non native Blacks who view the State as super white (7% black )and uber conservative (all Red). In case you don't know blacks are overwhelmingly blue.

Listen, the more OKC can provide lifestyle choices that cater to the 75% of NBA players that are black, the better.
    We fought for years to get away from segregation; what makes you think people want to revisit that era?

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    We fought for years to get away from segregation; what makes you think people want to revisit that era?
    It amazes me how people really don't read my posts to gain an understanding of my points. Nothing in my previous posts speak to segregation, nothing.
    Repost:
    I have said and maintain OKC still lacks the black population (rather small), urban density (24 hour entertainment and dining options) and sophistication many young, rich, black desire. Make OKC more black friendly meaning more entertainment venues bringing in top black acts and less cowboyish and its reputation may improve. Jason Whitlock commented how interesting it will be to see Carmelos wife LaLa eating at Chili's intimating OKC lacks sophistication. His characterization is not totally true, but a view held by many non native Blacks who view the State as super white (7% black )and uber conservative (all Red). In case you don't know blacks are overwhelmingly blue.

dcsooner, one point in your post that is troubling is that for some reason you're repeating Jason Whitlock's stereotypes about the culture of OKC. OKC has a good culinary scene for a city of its size. In many ways, OKC has already addressed the generic chain stereotype you've brought up.

There are some ways OKC is becoming a more multicultural city. For example, Tower Theatre has an explicit focus on bringing in hip hop acts. I just saw Talib Kweli there earlier this month. Of course, OKC will never become a hub for African American culture like many other cities. More progress can be made.

Instead of just critiquing what's wrong, how about some specific suggestions for realistic changes.

P.S. I am having trouble understanding the segregation claims others attributed to dcsooner, but dc certainly didn't suggest that even though racial school re-segregation is a problem in OKC and the rest of the country (NYC has the most segregated schools in the country).

Oh, and the concept of white genocide is a white supremacist concept that is pure garbage. Please keep that crap in the politics section.

Blog Entries

It amazes me how people really don't read my posts to gain an understanding of my points. Nothing in my previous posts speak to segregation, nothing.
    Repost:
    I have said and maintain OKC still lacks the black population (rather small), urban density (24 hour entertainment and dining options) and sophistication many young, rich, black desire. Make OKC more black friendly meaning more entertainment venues bringing in top black acts and less cowboyish and its reputation may improve. Jason Whitlock commented how interesting it will be to see Carmelos wife LaLa eating at Chili's intimating OKC lacks sophistication. His characterization is not totally true, but a view held by many non native Blacks who view the State as super white (7% black )and uber conservative (all Red). In case you don't know blacks are overwhelmingly blue.
    Not sure of what you think OKC is lacking; how many 24 hrs entertainment & dining options does OKC possess as a whole (This place is dead after 2 a.m.):

2010 census population (rank): 579,999 (31); Male: 285,556 (49.2%); Female: 294,443 (50.8%); White: 363,646 (62.7%); Black: 87,354 (15.1%); American Indian and Alaska Native: 20,533 (3.5%); Asian: 23,310 (4.0%); Other race: 54,593 (9.4%); Two or more races: 29,977 (5.2%); Hispanic/Latino: 100,038 (17.2%). 2010 percent population 18 and over: 74.6%; 65 and over: 11.3%; Median age: 34.0.

Young rick blacks aren't seeking to be around just other blacks; they blend in with the population. If they are rich or well-to-do, they seek places that spark their interest--it has nothing to do with being around other blacks. Now, some of those not so well-to-do often seek out places that provide inexpensive amenities which often limits their choices.

Where did you get 7% (Metro?) & what do you suggest would make OKC a better place for blacks?

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2017-18

Today's Thunderfest @ Edmond North High School:

Anyone lucky enough to get tickets to the 'Blue & White Scrimmage' at the Edmond North High School Gymnasium?

With the high profile players on our Thunder roster; maybe future events should be held at The Peake.
    Oklahoma City will begin its 12th year as an NBA City (+Hornets' 2 years). Thunder have enjoyed regular season sellouts since 2010 (297 consecutive sellouts ending the 16-17 season).

Do you believe OKC is a well-established NBA city; could we survive a rebuild?

I live about two blocks from North, sounds like there's quite a crowd there already.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Oh, and the concept of white genocide is a white supremacist concept that is pure garbage. Please keep that crap in the politics section.
    You of all people are asking for politics to be left in the Politics forum? Oy vey.

Quote Originally Posted by ABCOKC View Post
    You of all people are asking for politics to be left in the Politics forum? Oy vey.
    Politics are inherent to many issues and I am sure I have brought up political issues in many threads, but I make an effort not to be partisan. While the line may be blurry, I've certainly tried not to call names or stereotypes groups, including political parties. However, there's just no place for white supremacist concepts in the "2017-2018 Oklahoma City Thunder" thread. I only used two sentences to point that out. Happy to discuss privately if you wish as I'm always trying to improve how I communicate ideas to others, especially online as it can be tricky. Best.

Back to Thunder topics. Russ, Abrines, and Patterson all sat out the scrimmage today. With a shortened preseason, I hope all three are ready to go for the regular season opener. I think one of the most interesting questions around this team is who else will get minutes outside of the top 9, which include these players at generally these positions (in a time when positions shift):
    PG - Russ, Felton
    SG - Roberson, Abrines
    SF - George. Grant
    PF - Carmelo, Patterson
    C - Adams

I suspect Grant and Patterson will both have opportunities to move up a position in small lineups. Beyond that, I actually have trouble envisioning any of these guys getting minutes: Collison (getting pretty old), Terrance Ferguson (only 19!), Josh Huestis (just no signs he's getting a chance), Kyle Singer (he's bad), Dakari Johnson (unathletic big), and whoever gets the 15th slot (probably Isaiah Canaan or Semaj). When/if the Thunder have any injuries, it'll get even more interesting. I think the Thunder will be a player for buy-out candidates later in the season so they could get help there for the playoffs. Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Interested to see the progress Jerami Grant has made from last season.

16. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2017-18

...kyle singer (he's bad)...
    Hahahahaha

Blog Entries

Back to Thunder topics. Russ, Abrines, and Patterson all sat out the scrimmage today. With a shortened preseason, I hope all three are ready to go for the regular season opener. I think one of the most interesting questions around this team is who else will get minutes outside of the top 9, which include these players at generally these positions (in a time when positions shift):
    PG - Russ, Felton
    SG - Roberson, Abrines
    SF - George. Grant
    PF - Carmelo, Patterson
    C - Adams

I suspect Grant and Patterson will both have opportunities to move up a position in small lineups. Beyond that, I actually have trouble envisioning any of these guys getting minutes: Collison (getting pretty old), Terrance Ferguson (only 19!), Josh Huestis (just no signs he's getting a chance), Kyle Singer (he's bad), Dakari Johnson (unathletic big), and whoever gets the 15th slot (probably Isaiah Canaan or Semaj). When/if the Thunder have any injuries, it'll get even more interesting. I think the Thunder will be a player for buy-out candidates later in the season so they could get help there for the playoffs. Thoughts?
    Good observation about Grant & Paterson's potential along with Ferguson, who will now get the opportunity to show what he can do in the big league. Hope Cheevers are still feeding these guys; Fergy (6'7" - 185) looks like he could use an extra biscuit for breakfast.

Blog Entries

Thunder now have 3 isolation play options (Anthony, Westbrook & George); also, a potentially good strong reserve group. Impressed with Ferguson, Grant & Felton so far--add Patterson & Abrines in the mix with any combination of starters & reserves Thunder should be competitive.

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/...thunderhttp://

Blog Entries

NBA Preseason at Chesapeake Energy Arena

Thunder 102 - Pelicans 91

Box Score: http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400978810

After watching the pre-season games thus far, I am hoping Donovan gives the 10th/11th man minutes to Terrance Ferguson and Josh Huestis. Ferguson seems a lot more ready defensively than I expected for a 19-ear old and he just needs to get out on the break and spot up from 3 on offense. Huestis looked really active defensively today, particularly with those two late game blocks. With some of his defensive abilities, if Huestis can shoot just 33-34% percent three then he could find a role on the team.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City 86 - Melbourne United 85

Box score: http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400978812

Blog Entries

Preseason final: Thunder 3 wins - 1 loss

Oklahoma City Thunder 96 - Denver Nuggets 86

Box score: http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400978751

Blog Entries

Yannis Morin

Thunder Signs Morin and Wright

Posted: Oct 11, 2017
    FACEBOOK
    GOOGLE PLUS
    TWITTER
    OKLAHOMA CITY, Oct. 11, 2017 – The Oklahoma City Thunder has signed center Yannis Morin and forward Chris Wright, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Morin (6-10, 210) played five games (one start) with the Thunder in the 2017 Orlando Pro Summer League and averaged 2.2 points and 4.0 rebounds in 13.5 minutes per game. He spent the 2016-17 season with Le Havre in France, where he appeared in 37 games (28 starts) and averaged 6.8 points, 7.4 rebounds, 1.84 blocks and 1.00 steal in 24.5 minutes per game.

The center played five total seasons in France, spending three seasons with Cholet Basket, one season each with Denain ASC Voltaire and Le Havre.

Wright (6-8, 226) was a member of the Oklahoma City Blue during the 2016-17 season. He appeared in 20 games (four starts) and averaged 9.9 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.35 steals in 21.9 minutes per game.

The Ohio native previously appeared in 32 NBA games with the Milwaukee Bucks and Golden State Warriors and averaged 3.7 points and 2.0 rebounds in 9.8 minutes per contest.

Blog Entries

Chris Wright
    Born: September 30, 1988 (age 29), Trotwood, Ohio, OH
    Height: 6′ 8″
    Salary: 980,431 USD (2016)

Chris Wright is an American professional basketball player for the Oklahoma City Thunder of the National Basketball Association. He played college basketball for the University of Dayton.

Blog Entries

Thunder trim roster to 15: http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/...thunderhttp://

Alex Abrines
    Stephen Adams
    Carmelo Anthony

Nick Collison

Raymond Felton
    Terrance Ferguson

Paul George
    Jerami Grant

Daniel Hamilton
    Josh Huestis

Dakari Johnson

Patrick Patterson