Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 29 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

Far North Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

Through our numerous sources in economic development, real estate and construction, we have very good information on several key new developments which will feature a number of retailers and entertainment venues that will be completely new to OKC and the state.

* = First reported on OKCTalk.com

Chisholm Creek is a huge planned development on the south side of Memorial, between Penn and Western.

We have also heard that Cabela's* has also signed an MOU and will be located near Costco. Cabela's is a massive outdoors / sporting goods store, with a typical size of 80,000 square feet.

We understand TopGolf* -- who had previously announced they are actively looking for an OKC location -- in nearing a deal in this same project. Very interesting, as a local group of developers had just announced a very similar concept just a mile to the west, called Skybox Golf.

We've also heard that Crate & Barrel is another possibility, as is a second OKC location for Whole Foods.

Closest to the Western & Memorial intersection will be a large Healthplex. On 8/13/13, those 8 acres were sold for $3.489 million to a local LLC which plans to develop a large complex on that site:

Besides TopGolf and Skybox, another huge entertainment chain is set to enter the state for the first time on the north side of Memorial, just west of Western: Main Event*. Typically 60,000 square feet, Main Event focuses on families with bowling, arcade, restaurant, miniature golf and other activities all under one large roof.

At Quail Springs Mall, construction is well underway to convert the former Sears building to the state's first Von Maur Department Store, which is slightly more upscale than Macy's or Dillard's. See construction photos here.

We've also heard that international clothier H&M* is close to announcing a deal for Quail Springs, which will be another first for the state. H&M specializes in fashionable clothing for men and women at reasonable prices, and has quite a loyal following.

And finally, Hobby Lobby just purchased land near Quail Springs (behind Home Depot) to open a location for their Hemipheres* furniture and accessories store.

All of this on the heals of GolfSmith* taking the old Ultimate Electronics space, Dick's Sporting Goods opening a new location, and several other new retailers coming to this corridor.

One other intriguing possibility for Chisholm Creek is for an OKC location of The Rustic*, just opened in Dallas. A huge restaurant, beer garden and concert venue, they are considering doing something very similar as a part of this development.

Default Re: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

Some good stuff going in, just wish it was on the other side of town.

This looks like a significant development, and a good cut above the typical retail development in OKC. I hope it actually pans out like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Some good stuff going in, just wish it was on the other side of town.
    As in downtown or I-240/35/Norman? Most of this stuff is better fit for a suburban area like Memorial, with the exception of the Rustic which would be perfect in a place like Midtown.

4. Default Re: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

Oh Pete - Costco and Cabelas and Crate & Barrel (yes I am obviously multi-dimensional).... be still my retail loving heart.

The Rustic could help propel that area into OKC's "cool" suburban spot. Most cities have at least one suburban area that is attractive to young professionals and is a "cool" alternative to living downtown for those who want an active lifestyle but are on a budget. In Charlotte it is Ballantyne. Maybe this could be the equivalent for OKC?

Anyways, its great that OKC may finally be getting a decent retail development with new retailers to the state. This may be the first time in my memory that OKC has gotten something like this before Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This looks like a significant development, and a good cut above the typical retail development in OKC. I hope it actually pans out like this.

As in downtown or I-240/35/Norman? Most of this stuff is better fit for a suburban area like Memorial, with the exception of the Rustic which would be perfect in a place like Midtown.
    Yes I'd rather it be on 240, but that's cause I live south of the airport. I'd still end up making a drive to go up there, but only if I was visiting multiple places.

I might drive up there for Crate and Barrel on occasion. But, with its proximity to Edmond, I love the fact that these will generate sales tax for OKC instead.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I might drive up there for Crate and Barrel on occasion. But, with its proximity to Edmond, I love the fact that these will generate sales tax for OKC instead.
    unfortunately we'll be forever slaves to the almighty sales tax dollar...

Midtown is getting a place like this DustBowl/Fassler Hall

Don't count out the south side, especially the I44 corridor towards tri city. Although the density isn't there yet, there is a lot of money in that area. Looking at the homes being built in the Olde Tuscanys (1,2 ranches, etc), and Rio de Bella plus going back east to Rivendell, Cascata lakes, etc, there is a lot of higher income homes in this area. The homes in Olde Tuscany are anywhere from 400k to 1.2 million. This area is greatly underserved and the population is booming which is one of the reasons I believe Crest built such a nice store at 104/May.

Not saying that this development isn't in the right place as there is more money in the memorial corridor, just saying that I believe that this I-44 corridor will be the next area to develop as soon as the airport gets there projects done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Yes I'd rather it be on 240, but that's cause I live south of the airport. I'd still end up making a drive to go up there, but only if I was visiting multiple places.
    You may get your wish from the development between Portland and I-44 that is scheduled.

I'm watching how that Skybox Golf and Top Golf thing plays out.

That site selected for Skybox golf needs a lot of dirt work done to make it usable it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    You may get your wish from the development between Portland and I-44 that is scheduled.
    That's what I'm hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Don't count out the south side, especially the I44 corridor towards tri city. Although the density isn't there yet, there is a lot of money in that area. Looking at the homes being built in the Olde Tuscanys (1,2 ranches, etc), and Rio de Bella plus going back east to Rivendell, Cascata lakes, etc, there is a lot of higher income homes in this area. The homes in Olde Tuscany are anywhere from 400k to 1.2 million. This area is greatly underserved and the population is booming which is one of the reasons I believe Crest built such a nice store at 104/May.

Not saying that this development isn't in the right place as there is more money in the memorial corridor, just saying that I believe that this I-44 corridor will be the next area to develop as soon as the airport gets there projects done.
    I agree. That's why I was hoping the new I-44 retail development by Will Rogers World Airport would end up being more than a Wal-Mart shopping center, but right now it doesn't look like its going to be.

Pete - the Cabela's store may be one of their smaller stores, called Cabela's Outpost, which typically are around 40,000 sf. It looks like most of the new stores are going to be that size.

Nevermind. I looked at the site plan on the Chisholm Creek website and it shows that building to be over 100,000 sf.

One of the 2 golf bars will have to find another location. No way they can both make it beig that close together.

What is the web address for the development? I can't seem to find anything..

I only opened this thread cause I thought there was a bomb explosion on Memorial this morning!

With all this planned retail, though, the city really needs to consider widening Memorial with a third outside lane. between Penn & Memorial, which turn into dedicated right turn only lanes 500 feet from the intersections. This is really going to hamper future traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I only opened this thread cause I thought there was a bomb explosion on Memorial this morning!

With all this planned retail, though, the city really needs to consider widening Memorial with a third outside lane. between Penn & Memorial, which turn into dedicated right turn only lanes 500 feet from the intersections. This is really going to hamper future traffic!
    The City REALLY needs to plan to ban ALL automotive traffic in the area and provide massive parking lots--on Penn, both north and south of the proposed development--along with "Free" shuttle service into The Retail Zone and Helicopter Ferry Landing Zones for north and southbound vehicles, on Penn, driven by people not directly involved in The Shopping Experience who need to bypass it to get to and from work. There could also be Free Bicycle Racks for the adventurous. I'm not sure how to make this work for people employed by one of these retail giants, but that is a minor consideration, easily rectified.

If you think that is hyperbole, you haven't been in the area around Christmas.
    Even without the implementation of the suggested solutions.
    There are only so many cars that can fit into available driving/parking space.

I'm not sure what THEY could do about the "i wanna exit to shop" east/west traffic on The Kilpatrick, but I'm sure "THEY" could come up with something resembling a short-term solution to facilitate the smooth running of this Retail Paradise.

btw: Did you know that a lot of this area is in a major flooding zone?
    Easy Fix: Bigger underground pipes. Or else something like Emergency Water Taxi Service.

The Germans have two words for this type of development:

1)Schlimmbesserung
    2)Klusterfukke

(unless, of course, The Planning isn't influenced by The Money to discount Reality and Unintended Consequences)

(where the heck did i put Kelly Ogle's friggin' phone number . . .
    Word on the street has it that the last surviving snail darter resides in
    the least unspoiled part of "chisholm creek" and there are reports of
    a whooping crane and a passenger pigeon in the vicinity. =)

Quote Originally Posted by TechArch View Post
    Love the idea of a water fountain/light show.

If it's anything like the one at Branson Landing in Branson, MO, it will be a huge hit.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Midtown is getting a place like this DustBowl/Fassler Hall
    Meh...Rustic is a lot bigger and from the looks of it: interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    The Germans have two words for this type of development:

1)Schlimmbesserung
    2)Klusterfukke

(unless, of course, The Planning isn't influenced by The Money to discount Reality and Unintended Consequences)

(where the heck did i put Kelly Ogle's friggin' phone number . . .
    Word on the street has it that the last surviving snail darter resides in
    the least unspoiled part of "chisholm creek" and there are reports of
    a whooping crane and a passenger pigeon in the vicinity. =)
    God I love German.

Thread Information