Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nashbird

Auto Alley Nashbird

This is a new concept by Marc Dunham of Iguana fame and will be located in the old Hillbillies space on 9th in Automobile Alley.

It will feature "Nashville Hot Chicken" which has the spice in the chicken coating itself, rather than applied through a sauce.

Work has already started on the renovation and expansion of the patio and they hope to open in July.

https://www.facebook.com/nashbirdchicken/

From the Oklahoman:

Nashbird will feature the spicy version of fried chicken made famous in Music City by Prince's Hot Chicken.

For fried chicken purists, there will be an on-bone option. The menu also will have The Hot Dang! Chicken Sandwich, a grilled chicken sandwich, wings and a variety of other southern specialties like mac 'n‘ cheese and cucumber and watermelon salad.

Oklahoma Ranch chicken will be a version for those who don't prefer spicy food and Nashbird Nuggets for kids.

Nashbird, which offer counter service restaurant, also will have cold beer, quality whiskey and a program of distinctive cocktails available.

Default Re: Nashbird

Has anybody had Nashville hot chicken?

It sounds very much like something I would enjoy, especially the spicy part.

3. Default Re: Nashbird

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Yes.... I made the tourist mistake of eating the XXX Hot at Prince's and it almost killed me.... Not so much the spiciness but the combination of the grease and an industrial sized bottle of cayenne they use on it..... I really wanted to try Hattie B's that day also but I almost had a reversal of fortune walking across the parking lot to my car..... So I went to my hotel and weeped.

I'd probably eat it again though! LOL

My husband got it at two places when we were in Nashville. He loves hot/spicy things and he was dying. He said he's have it again, but it was making him sweat and turn red. Haha.

I looove spicy food and the Hot Chicken I had in Nashville almost destroyed me. I was a wreck for a full 24 hours following consumption. I never have this reaction to spicy foods, so it was weird.

And I only had the second hottest option. I cannot fathom if I'd gone full-caliber.

6. Default Re: Nashbird

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    I looove spicy food and the Hot Chicken I had in Nashville almost destroyed me. I was a wreck for a full 24 hours following consumption. I never have this reaction to spicy foods, so it was weird.

And I only had the second hottest option. I cannot fathom if I'd gone full-caliber.
    Same here... I eat a lot of Ghost Pepper sauces and that chicken wrecked me. Not for a full 24 but for a few hours it was pretty touch and go.

7. Default Re: Nashbird

You guys are really selling me on this place....

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Haha... Me too!

I'm sure they will have all levels of spiciness and I hope they don't dumb-down the really hot versions for those of us who always tend to be disappointed by what others consider too hot.

BTW, I love this space and always thought it deserved something better than Hillbillies, which I really tried to like but couldn't get there. There is a great long bar that overlooks the tracks and looks like they are adding to the outdoor space.

It's a great setting and Marc Dunham knows what he's doing. Really looking forward to this.

9. Default Re: Nashbird

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    HAHA.... Well as I said above... I fell into the tourist trap.... I've since been told the locals order the less spicy version.

Nashbird has already said they would be trying to cater to everyone's palettes...... Me being a chilihead will have to try their hottest version at least once...

I've also seen a lot of their pics and I'm expecting this to be a more chef driven version of Nashville Hot Chicken than you will find in Nashville.... I know Hattie B's in Nashville is in a nicer location but Prince's is in a pretty rough and tough part of Nashville.... Just two doors down a group was serving free meals to the homeless/needy while a line was forming in front of Prince's and Prince's prices were very reasonable and the food was very very blue collar.

10. Default Re: Nashbird

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    HAHA.... Well as I said above... I fell into the tourist trap.... I've since been told the locals order the less spicy version.

Nashbird has already said they would be trying to cater to everyone's palettes...... Me being a chilihead will have to try their hottest version at least once...

I've also seen a lot of their pics and I'm expecting this to be a more chef driven version of Nashville Hot Chicken than you will find in Nashville.... I know Hattie B's in Nashville is in a nicer location but Prince's is in a pretty rough and tough part of Nashville.... Just two doors down a group was serving free meals to the homeless/needy while a line was forming in front of Prince's and Prince's prices were very reasonable and the food was very very blue collar.
    I mean I like a little spice but I don't think I enjoy a bathroom run for 24 hours. I will wait for you all to review it for me.

I always loved that space and when we lived downtown we loved sitting outside having some moonshine cherry drinks. This new space looks very nice.

^

The quiet zone suuuure makes a difference here.

In my few visits to Hillbillies the trains are so close that when they blasted their horns it was pretty nerve-wracking.

If you ever spot chef rays street eats food truck around town you better try it. It's won all kinds of awards and national recognition for their hot chicken.

Hot chicken is not for the weak. I have a pretty high tolerance for spicy food and I have trouble finishing it. It was actually first created as a way for a wife to get revenge on her cheating husband, if that tells you something. I am pretty surprised it has taken off as a trend. Hot chicken was something you couldn't find outside of the black neighborhoods in Nashville up until 3 or 4 years ago. But as a soul food lover, I'm not complaining. It's a definite upgrade over Hillbillies, for sure.

Also, I just realized this is my first post in 9 months. Hello everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Also, I just realized this is my first post in 9 months. Hello everyone!
    Haha... Don't be such a stranger!

This is the kind of stuff I like coming to these forums for.

When I think Tennessee in general, I think bbq. Never would I have found out that (albeit a part of) Tennessee does hot chicken. I'd like to know the food states/cities are known for and try it all.

This thread is making me feel so much better.

I am half messican and have been eating spicy food my entire life. Very spicy. In fact I don't know many people that can handle more spicy than I usually can. I make Carolina Reaper salsa.

When my wife and I were in Nashville last summer we needed to try some authentic Nashville hot chicken. We drove to the hoooooood to get the original Prince's chicken. We stood in line for 45 minutes, in the non air conditioned restaurant. Wife ordered mild and I decided to go with medium because I thought I was heeding the warnings and didn't want to hurt myself, pride be damned. We took it back to our Airbnb to dine.

Well, needless to say the medium literally LIT ME UP. I could barely even eat it yet I ate every bite because it tasted so good. And, and an hour later the trouble began... And continued every hour or two all night long. That chicken tore me up for 24+ hours. But, damn if it wasn't tasty.

Why would anyone pay for this torture? Lol

Good to see you're alive adaniel, welcome back

HangryHippo Guest

I'm not at all familiar with Nashville hot chicken - what in the hell do they do it that makes it so spicy?

19. Default Re: Nashbird

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm not at all familiar with Nashville hot chicken - what in the hell do they do it that makes it so spicy?
    They overdose it with cayenne pepper..... I'm talking a lot of cayenne pepper!

It also has an insane amount of grease, that is infused with the spices itself, which tends to have a coating effect on your insides. Really lubes things up.

21. Default Re: Nashbird

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    It also has an insane amount of grease, that is infused with the spices itself, which tends to have a coating effect on your insides. Really lubes things up.
    Yep.... Usually any kind of fat helps block the capsaicin too but the XXX is pain after a few bites.... Only thing that really got me through it was I had macaroni salad with mine for some additional fat and I took a bite of it and a swig of lemonade between each bite...... Also probably didn't help that I tried to eat the grease and cayenne soaked bread at the bottom of the basket after I finished the chicken..... that was definitely a rookie mistake but man that grease and cayenne soaked bread was tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    Well, needless to say the medium literally LIT ME UP. I could barely even eat it yet I ate every bite because it tasted so good. And, and an hour later the trouble began... And continued every hour or two all night long. That chicken tore me up for 24+ hours. But, damn if it wasn't tasty.
    Bwahahaha! Yeah I wasn't going to bring this up, but yeah you really need a strong stomach to eat something with so much cayenne. Hot going in...hot coming out LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Good to see you're alive adaniel, welcome back
    Haha... Don't be such a stranger!
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately life has somewhat gotten in the way the past few months but hope to be back permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Hot going in...hot coming out LOL!
    Just finish it off with ice cream, and the next morning when you are doing your thing (toilet) yell "come on ice cream".
    C. T.

24. Default Re: Nashbird

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Just finish it off with ice cream, and the next morning when you are doing your thing (toilet) yell "come on ice cream".
    C. T.
    LMAO..... I've eaten a few things hot enough that I was eating the ice cream while I was sitting and yelling that!

They plan to open more locations once up and running:

http://www.405magazine.com/Nashbird-Blazes-Into-OKC/

Thread Information