Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC's Enes Kanter seeks asylum...

Blog Entries

Thunder OKC's Enes Kanter seeks asylum...

Report: Turkey seeks arrest of Thunder's Enes Kanter

http://newsok.com/article/5550688

"The reason behind it is just, of course, my political views," Kanter, who turned 25 Saturday, said in the video. "And the guy who did it is Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the president of Turkey."
    Turkey obviously wants to silence Kanter for free speech. Something we've afforded every person in our own country despite controversial things they say. If the U.S. turns him over to Turkey, you'll never see him again--death sentence.

This is the same Turkey that has refused to work with the U.S. over the debacle in Syria, yet they accuse the United States of being involved in every botched operation in which they themselves are responsible. Kanter knows Turkey better than anyone in our country; we need to listen to this young man and allow him to seek asylum.

His own family is afraid to speak on his behalf--they have been forced to disown their own flesh & blood.

Kanter's not the best basketball player we could have acquired for his salary; we also realize that some posters would love to trade him.

"An ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness."--Elbert Hubbard.

Grant Kanter the asylum he seeks...

Thunder nation, Thunder fans and Thunder family:

Default Re: OKC's Enes Kanter seeks asylum...

I honestly have no opinion/feeling about this one way or another. But, I wonder if at some point this issue might make him a liability to the Thunder or any other team in the NBA. ????

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    I honestly have no opinion/feeling about this one way or another. But, I wonder if at some point this issue might make him a liability to the Thunder or any other team in the NBA. ????
    Why? Erdogan is an authoritarian dictator who murders and jails his own people who oppose him or just don't bow down to him. He should be in jail. Speaking out against the Erdogan regime is courageous. Kanter should be applauded. Also, besides none of this is really new. The Turkish government has been threatening him for years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Why? Erdogan is an authoritarian dictator who murders and jails his own people who oppose him or just don't bow down to him. He should be in jail. Speaking out against the Erdogan regime is courageous. Kanter should be applauded. Also, besides none of this is really new. The Turkish government has been threatening him for years.
    Agree 100% Dan,

Hope that turning over Kanter isn't what we are about as a country. Kanter has a right to speak out; it has cost him his family (in Turkey); now he's a man without a country.

His own family has to disown him because they fear what would happen to them if they take sides with Kanter's views. They may use his family to force him back to Turkey.

Exactly, Dan. Everyone should care about this because a Erdogan is a dangerous despot, wreaking havoc on Turkey's democratic institutions and the rights on the Turkish people.

Laramie, where do you see that Kanter has sought asylum, as your thread title says? I haven't been able to find that.

I thought I read his family never agreed with him and the family is getting punished for being associated with him anyway (by blood). That'd suck if they're doing it to keep up a facade.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I thought I read his family never agreed with him and the family is getting punished for being associated with him anyway (by blood). That'd suck if they're doing it to keep up a facade.
    I don't think there's any real way to know about Kanter's families relationship with him. They did publically disown him. That could be genuine or that could be their attempt to avoid jail/murder. There's just no way of knowing with the murdererous Erdogan regime in charge.

Thread Information