Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: President Trump on the Economy

No, not really. Where do you get this info? I'm not even sure how you have a crash in VC other than they just slow down of stop funding ideas.

VC drives innovative new company development. OKCs economy hasn't expanded at the rate of many other cities partially because of the lack of VC funding.
    Denver's economy is growing at a rapid pace and until recently had not really attracted any major corporate relocations or huge corporate establishments come here. It's grown, primarily organically with a large part of it funded by VC.
    Musks investors knew what they were getting into. You aren't going to turn a profit fast in such a capital intensive industry - especially trying to mass produce an electric auto.
    Like Trump Musk is his own worst enemy. I've seen no-one else accuse him of fraud or swindling until he made his recent statement about going private. He's definitely got his doubters as seen in hedge fund and short sellers in the stock. His sources of funding and the outcome of taking Tesla private are still up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    No, not really. Where do you get this info? I'm not even sure how you have a crash in VC other than they just slow down of stop funding ideas.

VC drives innovative new company development. OKCs economy hasn't expanded at the rate of many other cities partially because of the lack of VC funding.
    Denver's economy is growing at a rapid pace and until recently had not really attracted any major corporate relocations or huge corporate establishments come here. It's grown, primarily organically with a large part of it funded by VC.
    Musks investors knew what they were getting into. You aren't going to turn a profit fast in such a capital intensive industry - especially trying to mass produce an electric auto.
    Like Trump Musk is his own worst enemy. I've seen no-one else accuse him of fraud or swindling until he made his recent statement about going private. He's definitely got his doubters as seen in hedge fund and short sellers in the stock. His sources of funding and the outcome of taking Tesla private are still up in the air.
    Basically I am saying that (my estimate) over half the early stage VC funding out there is worthless, or worth no more than the assets the company owns. That's what a "crash" is in that inustry. Hopefully though it won't hurt the economy as a whole so bad as I expect the top tier funds that are really funding the growing companies will survive and continue to nurture and develop top start-up, pretty much as they do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    If wage growth is part of the "economy", that facet is still poor.
    Well, net purchasing power is essentially the entirety of the economy for most people, or at least it's what affects their lives. The reality is that consumers pay for tariffs (I still think Trump thinks the country he's targeting writes us a check. Ha.) Of course, there's always a compounding factor as well. If people have less purchasing power, they obviously buy less stuff. So, if there's no wage growth, it doesn't really matter if tariffs miraculously bring in more manufacturing to US. If no one has more money to pay the higher prices, then there's nothing to manufacture.

We're the 800 lb gorilla when it comes to purchasing and importing. I can't see any countries that sell to us, and whose economy depends on us, playing hardball. They'll push back, of course, but eventually they will normalize, and hopefully drop the tariffs on their end. That's really the end goal, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    We're the 800 lb gorilla when it comes to purchasing and importing.
    Which is really the main reason we have a trade deficit. We're not losing money, we just have the ability to buy a lot of stuff. BUT, if the tariffs stand, our purchasing power decreases, because everything in the supply chain of goods and materials singled out for tariffs is now more expensive. That's a really uncool way to deal with a trade deficit that isn't really a bad thing to begin with.

I think there are valid reasons for targeted tariffs in certain circumstances, but this is just based on some antiquated idea of trade being a zero sum game, as far as I can tell. That hasn't really been guiding economic theory since the 1700s. Honestly, I really can't guess how it plays out long term in today's economic structure.

Tarrifs are, essentially, a tax on imported goods. Whether by design or fortune, the value of the US $ has increased against most other currencies offsetting at least some of the cost of those tarrifs. However, it works the other way if the other country retaliates because their currency has depreciated against the $, making imports more expensive anyway. So, its a double-whammy to US companies trying to export. The main benefit is they get attention. If you are going to use the bully tactic, Trump is the one to try it because everyone hates him anyway, and he doesn't care.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/22/targ...ever-seen.html

Target CEO raves about the state of the economy: This is the best consumer environment 'I've seen in my career'

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/22/targ...ever-seen.html

Target CEO raves about the state of the economy: This is the best consumer environment 'I've seen in my career'
    impressive words coming from a guy who has worked for companies like the always troubled officemax, a short stint at home depot, and also that time with Safeway, Inc.... not sure he is the best to talk about sales he has seen during his career

I'm not sure what you find negative about him. I think you need to go back and look at his career. What is there you see in his CNBC Interview that you disagree with?

He has significant international experience in Europe, Asia and Latin America. He was a high level officer of Safeway, then the CEO of Michael's Stores, Sam's Club and PepsiCo America prior to coming on as CEO of Target - all highly successful businesses. He was on the Board of Directors of OfficeMax, CenterPoint, Polaris, YUM! Brands and Home Depot so he never was an "employee" per se. He is President of the Retail Industry Leader's Association. Overall, this is a pretty outstanding resume.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I'm not sure what you find negative about him. I think you need to go back and look at his career. What is there you see in his CNBC Interview that you disagree with?

He has significant international experience in Europe, Asia and Latin America. He was a high level officer of Safeway, then the CEO of Michael's Stores, Sam's Club and PepsiCo America prior to coming on as CEO of Target - all highly successful businesses. He was on the Board of Directors of OfficeMax, CenterPoint, Polaris, YUM! Brands and Home Depot so he never was an "employee" per se. He is President of the Retail Industry Leader's Association. Overall, this is a pretty outstanding resume.
    was running safeway into the ground until they were purchased in 2007 (when his tenure ended)...

was brought into micheals shortly after the Bain Capital purchase, and was let go when they said he wasn't turning them around quickly enough as all he did was open more stores but kept net profits roughly the same.

during his tenure at Sams Club, saw the closing of all of the Canadian stores, as well as stores in the US, and 11,200 Sams employees were laid off in the US. he was then let go from that position.

During his not quite 2 years at PepsiCo Americas Food (at a time point where Pepsico global actually passed growth of Coca-Cola for a few years and saw record profits) this subsidiary of PepsiCo was the only subsidiary of all of PepsiCo that saw a loss in market share.

His time at Target has been questionable at best. but is probably is only success story as a CEO. That isn't be being negative about him, that is just looking at the facts of his career

Brian Cornell wasn't running Safeway, he was a higher level officer and is credited for helping turn the company around when he left. "Cornell most recently served as Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer of Safeway, Inc. (NYSE: SWY), where he had responsibility for the merchandising, marketing, manufacturing, supply chain and online business. Cornell most recently served as Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer of Safeway, Inc. (NYSE: SWY), where he had responsibility for the merchandising, marketing, manufacturing, supply chain and online business. Cornell was one of the key architects behind Safeway’s “Ingredients for Life” brand re-positioning, its advancements in consumer and shopper insights, the introduction of O Organics and Eating Right private label brands, and Safeway’s new lifestyle store format. In 2005, he was named Marketing Executive of the Year by Supermarket News, and was featured as the Retailer of the Year by Grocery Headquarters Magazine in 2006." Hardly running the store into the ground.

Michael's Stores - There is nothing to indicate Bain/Blackstone were concerned about Cornell's performance. He simply left for a bigger opportunity at Sams Stores.

At Sam's he used some of the same tactics as he learned with Private Equity firms Bain/Blackstone at Michaels. He closed or sold off unprofitable assets such as the Canadian subsidiary and unprofitable US stores. This is called good management. Unfortunately, closing unprofitable businesses can mean laying people off - that is a fact of life. It does not mean he failed in any way. He was not "let go" from Sam's, he left to be closer to his family who remained in the Northeast (they didn't move to Bentonville). "Wal-Mart Stores Inc. suffered a blow to its management ranks, announcing Friday that the head of its Sam's Club business was leaving the company after jump-starting sales at the traditionally lagging warehouse-stores chain.
    Brian Cornell, who served as chief executive of the 610-store Sam's Club business since 2009, said he is leaving the company and Bentonville, Ark., where Wal-Mart is based, to be closer to family members in the Northeast."
    " He turned things around at Sam’s Club during his three-year stint there from 2009 through 2012. Now with Target....... .

At PepsiCo, he was very highly regarded and was one of 3 people who were in line to take over as CEO if the role had been vacated while he was there. After he left PepsiCo, he and the PepsiCo CEO, Indra Nooyi, are teaming up, as co-chairs of the Network of Executive Women’s (NEW) Future Fund—an industry-wide campaign aimed at achieving 50/50 gender parity in the workforce. Ms. Nooyi was the CEO of PepsiCo while Cornell was head of Global Food Division. There is clearly no animosity between them so it seems his performance was viewed as perfectly OK when he left and went to Target.

Now at Target, he did have difficulty. He had to deal with the aftermath of the credit card security breach prior to his arrival at Target. He had an issue with corporate decisions surrounding which bathroom a transgender person should use at Target, he has had to deal with a 2nd issue of an unsuccessful venture into Canada (the other being Sam's Club) and he has had to deal with the Amazon effect that has given virtually all retailers fits. There were negative articles written about his failure to turn the company around a couple of years ago but in the last two quarters, Target has seen extremely strong results.

Again, I am not sure where you are getting your information, but Mr. Cornell is highly regarded as a leader with experience in a broad field of retailing and marketing. He has helped turn around more than one company and doesn't seem to have left anywhere that people were unhappy with him (except at Target, where he said Transgender people can use whatever bathroom they identify with). He also is very active on the board of other companies, is involved in several organizations and, again, is the President of the Retail Industry Leader's Association.

Sam's Stores -
    Cornell was one of the key architects behind Safeway’s “Ingredients for Life” brand re-positioning, its advancements in consumer and shopper insights, the introduction of O Organics and Eating Right private label brands, and Safeway’s new lifestyle store format. In 2005, he was named Marketing Executive of the Year by Supermarket News, and was featured as the Retailer of the Year by Grocery Headquarters Magazine in 2006.

perhaps my opinions of him are more jaded from my time in Canada than i thought. during his time at Sams Club (same time i was in London Ontario.. the reports of him were not good in many ways. perhaps that exposure has given an unwarranted bias. for that i will apologize and research more. i honestly had completely forgotten about the transgender comment and that it was him...

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    perhaps my opinions of him are more jaded from my time in Canada than i thought. during his time at Sams Club (same time i was in London Ontario.. the reports of him were not good in many ways. perhaps that exposure has given an unwarranted bias. for that i will apologize and research more. i honestly had completely forgotten about the transgender comment and that it was him...
    While I doubt the guy has made perfect decisions at every turn, who has. I hardly think anything in his background discredits his opinion all that much either.

I also completely understand that our life experiences shape our opinions. How else can we all have different opinions on so many things that seem to not be so complex. Makes life interesting.

Some on this board had been complaining about the stagnant wage growth....

Long-awaited wage growth posted its biggest increase of the economic recovery in August while payroll gains beat expectations and the unemployment rate held near a generational low of 3.9 percent, according to a Bureau of Labor Statistics report Friday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/us-n...-aug-2018.html

15. Default Re: President Trump on the Economy

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Some on this board had been complaining about the stagnant wage growth....

Long-awaited wage growth posted its biggest increase of the economic recovery in August while payroll gains beat expectations and the unemployment rate held near a generational low of 3.9 percent, according to a Bureau of Labor Statistics report Friday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/us-n...-aug-2018.html
    And here's another side of the story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...?noredirect=on

"Cost of living was up 2.9 percent from July 2017 to July 2018, the Labor Department reported Friday, an inflation rate that outstripped a 2.7 percent increase in wages over the same period. The average U.S. “real wage,” a federal measure of pay that takes inflation into account, fell to $10.76 an hour last month, 2 cents down from where it was a year ago."

Admittedly, your article appears to be newer than mine, but things are *not* all rosy and peachy-keen in the US economy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    And here's another side of the story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...?noredirect=on

"Cost of living was up 2.9 percent from July 2017 to July 2018, the Labor Department reported Friday, an inflation rate that outstripped a 2.7 percent increase in wages over the same period. The average U.S. real wage, a federal measure of pay that takes inflation into account, fell to $10.76 an hour last month, 2 cents down from where it was a year ago."

Admittedly, your article appears to be newer than mine, but things are *not* all rosy and peachy-keen in the US economy.
    I still think that when taking all factors into consideration (which there are many), on the whole it cannot be viewed as a deteriorating economy. In general things are moving in the right direction. Not everything is perfect, but improving.

Speaking of the president's incredible influence on the economy, consider this:
    Nike Sale Explode Despite Trump's Attempts to Destroy Them For Daring To Defy His Imperial Order That The World To Boycott

Perhaps Nike knows their business doesn't depend on reactionary old bitter white american "patriots." If Trump knows everything, since he's a genius of the most stable kind, is he on the NIKE payroll?
    Alex Jones needs to investigate....if only the communists and statists haven't been deplatforming him.

Even when the current administration has good news, the habitual lies of Trump are uncontrollable.

Donald J. Trump
    ✔ @realDonaldTrump

The GDP Rate (4.2%) is higher than the Unemployment Rate (3.9%) for the first time in over 100 years!

Fox News Research
    ✔ @FoxNewsResearch

Since 1948, there have been 63 quarters with a GDP growth rate higher than avg quarterly unemployment rate

Recent Quarters with GDP Growth higher than Unemployment Rate:
    Q2 2018
    Q1 2006
    Q3 2003
    Q2 2000
    Q4 1999
    Q3 1999
    Q4 1998
    Q3 1998
    Q3 1997
    Q2 1997
    Q2 1996

As of today, Trump has not issued a correction. Interesting that even FOX is calling him out on his lies.

I think this fact was established more than a few months ago. The fact of the matter is that the economy is currently blazing. Only a lack of available employees and unknown factors of his trade wars present a cloud for the next few months. Even real wages are starting to rise as employers are having more trouble finding warm bodies. There are many possible reasons wages haven't risen with a lowering unemployment rate, but basic supply and demand eventually wins out.

Even when the current administration has good news, the habitual lies of Trump are uncontrollable.

Donald J. Trump
    ✔ @realDonaldTrump

The GDP Rate (4.2%) is higher than the Unemployment Rate (3.9%) for the first time in over 100 years!

Fox News Research
    ✔ @FoxNewsResearch

Since 1948, there have been 63 quarters with a GDP growth rate higher than avg quarterly unemployment rate

Recent Quarters with GDP Growth higher than Unemployment Rate:
    ‚•Q2 2018
    ‚•Q1 2006
    ‚•Q3 2003
    ‚•Q2 2000
    ‚•Q4 1999
    ‚•Q3 1999
    ‚•Q4 1998
    ‚•Q3 1998
    ‚•Q3 1997
    ‚•Q2 1997
    ‚•Q2 1996

As of today, Trump has not issued a correction. Interesting that even FOX is calling him out on his lies.
    Great post and great illustration...Trump tends to exaggerate? Really? ... Clinton’s mantra was it’s the economy stupid... This clearly illustrates the failure of the Obama years and that we’re finally back on the right track...and even better...we’re now putting up historic numbers after cutting taxes and slashing regulations and the funniest thing of it all is Obama on the campaign trail trying to take credit for it all...trying to salvage an empty legacy...you just can’t make this sh*t up, too funny

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    Great post and great illustration...Trump tends to exaggerate? Really? ... Clinton’s mantra was it’s the economy stupid... This clearly illustrates the failure of the Obama years and that we’re finally back on the right track...and even better...we’re now putting up historic numbers after cutting taxes and slashing regulations and the funniest thing of it all is Obama on the campaign trail trying to take credit for it all...trying to salvage an empty legacy...you just can’t make this sh*t up, too funny
    Well the switch didnt flip when Trump took office. No one is denying that the economy is strong right now but trump has been in office 20 months but we've had 95 consecutive months of job growth. So that low unemployment rate we have now wouldnt be where it is without constant job growth during 2011-2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    Great post and great illustration...Trump tends to exaggerate? Really? ... Clintons mantra was its the economy stupid... This clearly illustrates the failure of the Obama years and that were finally back on the right track...and even better...were now putting up historic numbers after cutting taxes and slashing regulations and the funniest thing of it all is Obama on the campaign trail trying to take credit for it all...trying to salvage an empty legacy...you just cant make this sh*t up, too funny
    Clearly you did not understand or grasp the meaning of my post. Trump falsely claimed and took credit for something that had not happened in 100 years. FOX quickly proved lie number 5000 + showing it happened many times since the 90's. Trump is a clown.

Clearly you did not understand or grasp the meaning of my post. Trump falsely claimed and took credit for something that had not happened in 100 years. FOX quickly proved lie number 5000 + showing it happened many times since the 90's. Trump is a clown.
    Then they are all clowns. Because none of them can even keep their stories straight, and will say whatever suits their needs of the moment. This is all sad.

Please explain the relevance of your post. Who are "they"? What stories? What is "sad"?

What is "sad"?
    Eric's pathological defense of Trump?

Thread Information